The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

Mercyful Fate gets plenty of shit because of King Diamond's vocals though, unfortunately.

the most respected bands are the ones that started good genres and the bands that nearly perfected those genres

sabbath, maiden, death, possessed, morbid angel, opeth, ect.

At the Gates catches plenty of hate, especially about Slaughter of the Soul

yeah but not for their first albums though,they are pretty respected.

then i would say bathory,no one dares to talk bad about them:kickass: iron maiden,although many people say iron maiden but never listens to them

Porbably these:
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate,Bathory.

And yea, Suffocation are overrated. So they're technical and brutal and spawned a legion of clones. Big deal. Meh

I don't know a single person who doesn't at least respect Maiden and Sabbath.

I know a couple who aren't so with Priest and Zep, so there's your answer, to the best of my own knowledge. :)

Oh yeah, and the most generally respected underground metal bands are likely Death, Blind Guardian and Bathory.

I don't think any bands are more universal than Sabbath and Maiden, and to a lesser degree Judas Priest and early Metallica. Anything with extreme vocals will immediately alienate a large number of metalheads. On a statistical basis, there are a lot more people interested in trad metal vs. extreme metal, but metal forums skew towards extreme metal. Plus, people's first experiences with metal more likely than not involves one of the bands I previously mentioned.

I mean, no one can hear War Pigs and not be totally engrossed. That is probably the best expression of metal, at least 10 years before any other band came close to that.

i´m amazed that darkthorne doesn´t have higher status among death metal fans than they have. The albums after soulside journey i couldn´t care less about but that is a damn good death metal album that came pretty early. i can only wonder how much great death metal they might have produced if they had sticked to that

Bands your not allowed to be a metalhead without liking (obviously when these bands were in their prime):

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Venom
Bathory
Slayer
Candlemass
Possessed
Metallica
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Death
Morbid Angel
Celtic Frost

Atheist are good. It's just that there's something ummm... annoying about them. Maybe vocals?

i wonder which are the most un-respected bands to like among metal fans?
surely dimmu borgir,cradle of filth an in flames are at the top.