The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

It's been said before, but Black Sabbath, hands down. Some people (mostly metalheads only into extreme metal) don't like Priest and Maiden because of the vocals, but like, or at the very least, respect Sabbath (Ozzy's vocals are disagreeable to no one, I have found so far).

Reign In Blood is pretty universally respected by everyone that tolerates the more extreme end of the spectrum.

NWOBHM: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead
Doom: Black Sabbath, Candlemass
Thrash: Overkill, Testament, Metallica
Death: Possessed, Death, Obituary
Black: Mercyful Fate

NWOBHM: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead
Doom: Black Sabbath, Candlemass
Thrash: Overkill, Testament, Metallica
Death: Possessed, Death, Obituary
Black: Mercyful Fate

Testament = No
Overkill = maybe

As for Obituary, I think many people find them boring, especially after the first couple.

And for Doom, I think Trouble are pretty respected.

And another classic doom band that most people respect is Solitude Aeturnus.

The New Order is one of the highest rated thrash metal albums of all time, according to rym.com. Can't argue with statistics.

Obituary is one of the original Death metal bands that have their own sound in which nobody has ever copied but people still label them as an influence. I'll take Obituary over any modern Death metal band.

I'll agree about Solitude Aeturnus though.

I agree on Testament. No way. Megadeth gets closer, but I would not include them. They went too soft for a while, and lost too many people, and too many people dislike Dave's vox.

Mustaine's little hissy fit about Rotting Christ automatically takes him off this list for me.

Make it the first three and I can agree. I think there are a lot of fans that feel they died with Cliff, and would exclude Justice (like me).

I concur here, but Metallica has lost just about all respect these days so they are out as well. I would vote for Kreator though.

I can't believe I didn't think of Coroner until I saw Toenail's sig (and they are in my own sig...duh).

Coroner

Sacrifice is also a highly regarded band.

I think Megadeth has some amazing releases, and does deserve respect in the history of metal. But I think for various reasons they are not universally respected.

Sabbath
Carcass
Death
Slayer
Bathory
Priest
Maiden..
there are others