The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

Plenty of people don't like Suffocation.
Quite true...

limp bizket, morbid angel
Uh...no?

Mayhem
Immortal
Venom
Slayer

Venom = balls...Immortal = frog with a mic
Mayhem? Among the metalheads I know, Mayhem are a joke...what has 8 arms, 8 legs, and 3 heads? Mayhem!
Sorry, can't record today, our guitarist is dead and the other guys are in jail
Anyhow...

#1 Black Sabbath
#2 Iron Maiden
#3 Judas Priest
and then the rest is gonna involve Motorhead (why has no one mentioned them?), At The Gates (everyone respects something they did), Bathory, Megadeth(they get far less shit for selling out than Metallica), Testament, Slayer, Death, etc

Maiden. Simply 'cos they've been around for aeons and have stayed true to their style (unlike other old bands like Metallica and Dimmu Borgir)

Quite true...

Uh...no?

Venom = balls...Immortal = frog with a mic
Mayhem? Among the metalheads I know, Mayhem are a joke...what has 8 arms, 8 legs, and 3 heads? Mayhem!
Sorry, can't record today, our guitarist is dead and the other guys are in jail
Anyhow...

#1 Black Sabbath
#2 Iron Maiden
#3 Judas Priest
and then the rest is gonna involve Motorhead (why has no one mentioned them?), At The Gates (everyone respects something they did), Bathory, Megadeth(they get far less shit for selling out than Metallica), Testament, Slayer, Death, etc

you forgot that the singer is dead too,in two ways

I'm suprised so many people still consider Slayer and Morbid Angel universally respected... a lot of people think they lost their way with newer albums (although I like MA's newer stuff just as much as the old stuff).
Perhaps I'm being to picky about what qualifies as universally respected. My vote goes to Bathory, even though I'm not really a fan.

Yeah, I am surprised Motörhead hasn't gotten more love in this thread as well. EVERYONE loves Ace of Spades! I'd rank (ugg) them as follows:

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Motörhead
Slayer

^ pretty much

Good call.

Also possibly Kreator and Destruction. At least Kreator.
Well, that depends on the audience. Obviously, all thrasheads love Kreator as much as probably every Brutal DM fan loves Suffocation. So you see, eventually, it's all realtive as to what niche you've carved out for yourself in the genre.

Well, that depends on the audience. Obviously, all thrasheads love Kreator as much as probably every Brutal DM fan loves Suffocation. So you see, eventually, it's all realtive as to what niche you've carved out for yourself in the genre.

There is a difference between being a fan, and universal respect. I think this thread revolves more around universal respect, and that within the "real" metal world. So it deals with the reactions of metalheads across the board to a given band. Which bands will illicit virtually no disrespect.

But I agree, within each genre there are bands that almost every fan of that genre likes, but outside of those genres there will be plenty of metal fans who do not like said bands.

I don't know a single person who doesn't at least respect Maiden

You do now. Well, I like a couple of songs, but I prefer pretty much every well respected traditional metal band to Maiden.

I wouldn't say I *dislike* Atheist, but I don't like them either.

I hate post-Nightside Emperor, but yeah, early Emperor's pretty untouchable. Candlemass are totally unhateable, agreed. Anyone who dislikes A Sorcerer's Pledge is automatically a tosser. Kreator is a possibility.

Absolutely millions of people don't like Testament. I don't like Megadeth at all, save a couple of tracks.

This is not about liking, it's about respecting (as a band, as an influence, as a creative force). I think you should remember that. :p

I guess everyone is taking it as "universally LIKED metal bands" though...

Absolutely millions of people don't like Testament. I don't like Megadeth at all, save a couple of tracks.

I agree on Testament. No way. Megadeth gets closer, but I would not include them. They went too soft for a while, and lost too many people, and too many people dislike Dave's vox.

Looking at your user name, early Fates Warning (first two) is pretty untouchable, but I have no idea about their later stuff. They just don't come up much, so I really don't see much disrespect thrown their way.

Bah, but makes the definition even harder. I mean, I respect Venom for being a catalyst for the black metal movement, but have little respect for them musically. Bah...