THE MOST WASTED POTENTIAL

MasKedRage said:
as in bands that could be much better than they are, they got great potential but waste it

i'd say, off the top of my head it would be Children of Bodom - the vocals are like a kid screaming, just horrible, and they gotta drop the orch hits, actually i wouldnt mind if they killed the keyboardist...but they really got what it takes to be a great band

secondly i'd say Bullet For My Valentine - a good band, they got the talent, they just have to, need to, drop the gay punk vocals

Coheed and Cambria - although they're a pink band, from 'Welcom Home' you can tell that if they add heavier distortion, lose the singer, get some death vocals, they could be a great metal band

and others?
...if grandma had a set of balls, she'd be grandpa...

The Greys said:
I skipped over clean vocals at first. I'm a lot more open to things now. Mikaels vocals have greatly grown on me. I would say his cleans get better every album.

I don't see the point in playing straight forward metal in the 90's,20
s... it's over.
If I want to hear a band just play distorted powercords i'll listen to an 80's band. Opeth doing what they have has made them very important. If the band did not have acoustic passages or clean vocals no one would like them. Opeth would just be another metal band fitting the mold. Opeth is non convential and that's why a lot of people like them. Metal is a dead genre. The worst thing opeth could do is be more 'metal'. I like bands like opeth when i'm so sick of regular metal.

That is literally the gayest post you've ever made.

I should have said it's ok for 80's,early 90's bands to play metal. I have not heard many good new metal bands.

Most bands that form after 90's trying to play real metal suck imo. You can't possibly be innovative doing the same thing real metal bands did ten,20 years ago. Dont you think if someone formed a band trying to sound like 80's testament or something that would be pretty pointless. Do you want to see some band trying to sound like iron maiden right now ?. what's the point

I obviously edited because I did not mean every new band.. it just came out that way because i'm trying to prove a point. Stop taking things to literally. MAJORITY OF METAL IS SHIT....that's the point. god damn

Bloodbath is a death metal band. I'm talking about straight forward metal bands anyways... have been.

Death Metal,regular metal is still not demanding right now. Majority of people care about other genre's in metal more. If bloodbath was some random people sending death metal a demo to century media in the now they would not give a shit. I'm trying to say that trying doing things already done now is somewhat pointless.

Bloodbath is a death metal band. I'm talking about straight forward metal bands anyways... have been.
oh right so BLATANTLY COPYING 1988-1992 sunlight deathmetal makes an alright band but playing plain old heavy metal like it sounded in the 1980's is "pointless"

gotcha

The Greys said:
Dont you think if someone formed a band trying to sound like 80's testament or something that would be pretty pointless?

Do you want to see some band trying to sound like iron maiden right now ?.

what's the point
1) No.

2) Yes.

3) The point is, that if I like a band, their music becomes somewhat timeless to me. If another band takes references from a previous band but continues along similar themes, then yeah, I'll take it in a heartbeat. I'd rather listen to something "old fashioned" than listen to whatever the prevailing trends would have me believe is worthwhile (i.e. Opeth).

You could argue that Slough Feg, with their maiden/lizzy combo sound or Impaled with their Necroticism fixation sound a lot like their forebears - but hey, I can live with that, because I enjoy their styles. I don't need the "next new thing" to energise my taste in metal, as usually, the next new thing becomes yet another passing fad that I don't enjoy (q.v. Industrial, Cyber, Electro etc etc etc - that shit dates really quickly). The man who constantly seeks for the next big innovation in metal is like the man who goes to fucking Alaska for a holiday because nobody has done that before.

IMO.

Erik said:
oh right so BLATANTLY COPYING 1988-1992 sunlight deathmetal makes an alright band but playing plain old heavy metal like it sounded in the 1980's is "pointless"

gotcha

Agreed, fuck Bloodbath, listen to Grave and Carnage and Dismember! Fuck the rest...

and entombed and unleashed

i dunno if it's trendy to hate entombed now or something but fact is "left hand path" kills every other stockholm dm album

p.s. i don't hate bloodbath but you gotta take it for what it is... a nihilist tribute band

IOfTheStorm said:
Well, now i don't expect from D.T. to write masterpieces. They did their part, and it was HUGE in all aspects (musical value, influential value etc), i can't ask them to write 10 "Images And Words", that is not the point anyway. Do you ask from Rush to write the masterpieces they used to write? I don't think so.
except Rush is still great. :loco:

Erik said:
and entombed and unleashed

i dunno if it's trendy to hate entombed now or something but fact is "left hand path" kills every other stockholm dm album

p.s. i don't hate bloodbath but you gotta take it for what it is... a nihilist tribute band

Truth. LHP remains in my top ten of all time list - worth the price for the title track alone.

I also recommend Kaamos and Evocation (swe) for "that" Sunlight studios sound DM...

So yeah, give me Bloodbath over Opeth any day of the week.

i recommended evocation (swe) in this forum a good while ago. few seemed to care! they're pretty KILLER indeed

also crematory (swe) rule

Erik said:

gotcha

1. Dan Swano was involved with the scene when it happened(edge of sanity). He has produced tons of early 90's metal albums from sacramentum to dissection. He's oldschool, not some random person in 2005 that's replicating sunlight death metal. It's different because he's established. He also knows more about playing the style than any other new death metal bands right now that might attempt the same thing.

2. Blakkheim is from katatonia and diabolical masquerade. He has worked with mikael,swano,etc...

3. Mikael(opeth), Peter(hypocrisy)

all these people are big names and relate somehow.

These people have been around for along time and are established. That's why a big label like century media will put out bloodbath cds. In death metal bloodbath is going to sell more than other death metal on labels no one cares about. Do you think if some random people no on knows about sent a solid oldshool sunlight style demo to century media in 2000 the label would care ?. I strongly doubt it.

Being established and already beeing part of scenes makes it more important than random people in the now trying to sound like bands 15 years before. It gives you more label options for playing something redundant. These people are oldschool but realize some progression is needed because you can't just sound dated always if you want to get somewhere.

If opeth did a cover album of death metal and 80's classics RR would put it out like that... because it's opeth. If random people sent a demo of covers to RR they would not care. If I had an oldschool band no one would give a shit.... maybe some shit label that is going to rip me off. You know how many DM cds came out when the first bloodbath came out.... I did not bother checking them out because I like death metal albums from the 80's and early 90's. If I saw a bloodbath cd that said band members from diabolical masquerade,edge of sanity,opeth I would buy it.... because I trust these people in music more than someone else that also loves death metal. Do you think century media would put out the new Grave if the band did not exist prior or generate hype ?. The band would be stuck in a shitty underground DM label. Death Metal is not a demanding style right now.

Carcassian said:
1) No.

2) Yes.

3) The point is, that if I like a band, their music becomes somewhat timeless to me. If another band takes references from a previous band but continues along similar themes, then yeah, I'll take it in a heartbeat. I'd rather listen to something "old fashioned" than listen to whatever the prevailing trends would have me believe is worthwhile (i.e. Opeth).

You could argue that Slough Feg, with their maiden/lizzy combo sound or Impaled with their Necroticism fixation sound a lot like their forebears - but hey, I can live with that, because I enjoy their styles. I don't need the "next new thing" to energise my taste in metal, as usually, the next new thing becomes yet another passing fad that I don't enjoy (q.v. Industrial, Cyber, Electro etc etc etc - that shit dates really quickly). The man who constantly seeks for the next big innovation in metal is like the man who goes to fucking Alaska for a holiday because nobody has done that before.

IMO.

That's cool but someone like me is only going to listen to the older bands unless there is something significant about a band sounding like a band or bands 15 years before. I'd rather listen to a different sounding new band than say a new band that trys sounding like morbid angel,etc.. unless there is a catch. Like say richard brunelle EX morbid angel teeming up with some other oldschoolers playing music in the same vain. I'd rather listen to that than some fanboys ripping off the band or bands. that's just me

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Agreed, fuck Bloodbath, listen to Grave and Carnage and Dismember! Fuck the rest...

I would normally agree. Knowing who is in the band has made it a tad different to say other bands trying to replicate.

and yeah grave,carnage,dismember,entombed,unleashed,edge of sanity,god macabre are great. I do think since Dan Swano was involved in the scene that gives bloodbath more credibility than random people paying tribute. Bloodbath does sound like Edge of Sanity 'unorthodox', not just entombed. Anders harmonies are very anders. It's a tribute to oldschool but I think it's a little more than just that.