THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn straight! I bought it last Monday, about #^%@!^# time!

But I don't remember Tubbs Mcgee saying he doesn't like it. If he indeed doesn't, I'll go position myself beside a road, facing the other direction. Then I'll wait for a car to pass right behind me, because apparently that's where Tubbs Mcgee is. :loco:
I don't like it that much. Maybe a few tracks, otherwise it's just an overwhelming amount of instrument wankery to me. The only reason I listen to it nowadays is for the somewhat interesting concept.

Well they stopped doing "An Evening with..." because it became too tiring and was taking a toll on their performances after doing it for so many years. So now they need an opening band to fill that spot, as well as RoadRunner most likely suggesting it.

Damn, I hope they don't have an opener when they come to Australia... They might do 'Evening With' because they've never been here before, and they'd be able to use their whole discography cos hardly anyone will have actually seen them live before probably...

Release info:

DREAM THEATER's upcoming release Systematic Chaos will be released on Tuesday June 5th (date may vary in different countries) and will be available in two formats:

Regular Edition CD:

and a Special Edition CD and DVD:

The Special Edition DVD will include:
--- the entire album mixed in 5.1 surround sound
--- "Chaos in Progress - The Making of Systematic Chaos"
(a 90-minute documentary directed by Mike Portnoy)

The CD's track listing for both editions is:

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 (9:00)
2. Forsaken (5:36)
3. Constant Motion (6:55)
4. The Dark Eternal Night (8:51)
5. Repentance (10:43)
6. Prophets Of War (6:01)
7. The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)
8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.2 (16:38)

The band will shoot a video next week for the first single off the album, "Constant Motion".

@ Requiem X:

How is that venue? If get to see them on this tour it will be there. I've only been in the cities since august (going to school here) so I've not been to any venues besides Station 4. I'm thinking I'm just going to cut my summer short and come back to see that show.

Damn, u beat me to it, I was just about to post that...

ANYWAY, THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

A video... that's interesting, Roadrunners influence no doubt...

I hope they actually focus on the players rather than have them walking around looking silly...

meedly, i'm going to stoop down to your level and say welcome to my ignore list. you don't have anything to say, and you only seem to want to pick a fight with no actual contribution, nor do you comprehend anything apparently, so i'm through wasting my time with you. you can join ascension and a few other dips.

lol you've been ignoring everything I've been saying anyway so the only difference is that you wont try to come back at me with your endless bullshit anymore. Works for me. If your grounds for writing people off are that they call you on your shit and/or disagree with you (especially on the internet) then I genuinely pity you.

Oh....and please don't respond to this. I'd hate for us to have such a heartfelt farewell only for you to come back to me right afterwards.

Kenneth wrote
Tali you seem to be saying that music is undefinable. If I take what you say to be true, then there is no way anyone can understand music they didn't create. I think we'd all agree that's not the case.

Again.......more a case of no-one except the artist being able to fully understand the motives behind the creation of the music.........what you might take as passages of showing off/wankery/ego stroke may infact be seen by the artist as a fully integral part of that piece of music.

It doesn't matter how you try to dress up your "argument"...its just an opinion wearing a pretentious suit....with cuff links provided by Mr Dictionary.

meedly, i'm going to stoop down to your level and say welcome to my ignore list. you don't have anything to say, and you only seem to want to pick a fight with no actual contribution, nor do you comprehend anything apparently, so i'm through wasting my time with you. you can join ascension and a few other dips.

Ignore list? Couldn't win the debate & couldn't even make a good argument so he hides. l've seen alot of fuckin' wusses in my day, but damn...this one is the epitome of the word! :Smug: :lol: :lol:

Oh and you were the dumb fuck that responded to my Awake thread...l didn't come to you asking for your personal OPINION. And l'm on your ignore list? Please...spare me the drama. Did Oprah do a driveby through Kenneth's momma's boy room?

6EEA4B38895B486485AAD13C013A71F2.jpg

Thanks, I've been trying to get that on here...

I prefer the original artwork, but I wouldn't miss the special edition for anything... At least Roadrunner isn't releasing the special edition 1 year after we've all brought the standard edition, that would really annoy me...

On the special edition, they should've put the logo thing in every light on the traficlight or something.

Kenneth wrote

Again.......more a case of no-one except the artist being able to fully understand the motives behind the creation of the music.........what you might take as passages of showing off/wankery/ego stroke may infact be seen by the artist as a fully integral part of that piece of music.

It doesn't matter how you try to dress up your "argument"...its just an opinion wearing a pretentious suit....with cuff links provided by Mr Dictionary.
:lol: thanks for complimenting my vocabulary.

the issue i see here is that your argument reduces everything to subjective opinion. sure, you can argue that all music is subjective and it's all personal preference. I see where that's coming from. However, music is usually created with the intent of communicating some kind of idea, feeling, mood, or story to the listener from the creator. The stronger the connection, the more effective and lasting the piece will be.

Take for example The Beatles. Simple music, and as I write this, decades old. Yet they have more public presence today than many modern bands. Why? I argue the connection they made with the public was stronger, their music more effective, potent if you will. And they did not need technical wankery to do so. I challenge you to find three bands whose technical showoffery alone secured them lasting appeal with the public. Wankery you may in your opinion call music, but no matter how you look at it, it doesn't have anything to say.

And that's why I argue that it weakens pieces of music when overused, as in previously discussed cases like Dream Theater - In The Name of God. Even the Dream Theater fanbois gush over songs like Space Dye Vest or Great Debate instead of In The Name of God. It's precisely the issue with Dragonforce as well. They're a novelty. You are impressed by their skill, it's intriguing, but after listening to many of their songs, you realize that they are all the same, and none have anything to say. There's a reason why Starfire is so popular - it's not about playing-as-fast-as-you-mindlessly-can-just-to-do-it.

Now, I can and will agree that you may or may not subjectively, in your opinion, enjoy such music etc blah blah. But there IS, I feel, an argument that A is more effective at communication than B.

Well said Kenneth.

Despite the large amount of Dream Theater songs there are and that i enjoy, one of my favourites is Space-Dye Vest - which is completly different to the usual DT songs. My least favourites are mostly from TOT, which is the album that seems to be mentioned for its wankery.

The time, when for me, the wankery works is when it fits the mood of the song. A song with a lot of energy or whatever can work well when its got fast playing etc. Glass Prison is another one of my favourites. Endless Sacrifice on the otherhand has the emotion to start with, but then when the instrumental section comes in it just doesn't seem to fit for me and puts me off listening for the whole length of the song.

DT are my favourite band and i like them A LOT - usually i would defend negativity towards DT. But reading people's comments here has made me stop and think "Yeah, you're right, i dont really like that in DT's music either and i dont think i should be ashamed to think so"

One of the best placements of the Wankery in my opinion is in the middle section of Octavarium. That's really the only song that I can think of where if they didn't do it, it would hinder the song. Because the wanking and endlessness of it kinda fits with the twisting, turning and ever changing atmosphere of the song. Full Circle always made me think of some wierd drug trip from the medication in the part before it, and so I figured that the ever changing spiral of that trip was depicted in the music after the lyrics finish. It's really the only place where they actually use the shredding to create the right kind of picture for the situation.

And those moments I'm not arguing against. It's all the others, which are far more numerable, and not limited to just Dream Theater. It's a situation that plagues a great deal of prog bands, precisely because they are prog bands.

Yea thats another song i was thinking of. I don't get the feeling that its a lengthy instrumental put in there just to make the song longer...when listening to it it seems to go along quite nicely without getting boring. (what i dont like however is the first 4 minutes or so of the intro...i usually skip it)

I am really optimistic about this next album, trust me Dream Theater doesnt usually hype albums to this extent if its not going to be something phenominal, and from the sound of it, it sounds like this could possibly be the best record they have put out since Scenes. Oh and the fact that thier will be 1 or 2 singles that mostly likely fit the heavier atmosphere of the album will only make things better (as opposed to say most of the first half of Octavarium (the album)). Oh and why would they have a 5.1 mix and lengthy making of video, and video for Constant Motion if they were not signnificantly satisfied with this record. I think this will be another prog metal masterpiece (along with Paradise Lost of course)!

Status
Not open for further replies.