2. SFaM
3. Awake
4. ACOS
5. SDOIT
6. Octavarium
7. WDADU
8. ToT
9. FII

Based on what ive heard so far the new one will probably slip in between 4 and 5....

Yes, the rest of the album is different. I was surprised when i first listened to it how different the other songs are to the released ones.

Portnoy explains...
For whatever it's worth, RR has chosen to release the 2 "heaviest" songs off the album first (CM and TDEN) - and while I do indeed LOVE both of these songs and am very proud of them for what they are - these 2 track do NOT sum up what SC sounds like as a whole...

As in any case when you only hear one or two tracks off a DT album, you're only getting ONE side of a much bigger picture that is represented by the full album....
(could you judge Awake from just hearing The Mirror and Lie?
could you judge Octavarium from just hearing I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within?
how about Images And Words if you only heard Another Day and Wait For Sleep?)

While the heavy side of DT may not be everybody's cup of tea (WIMPS! ), come June 5th you will realize there is plenty of styles for everybody on the new album.....

I can barely stand to listen to Octavarium, just the title track.

Yeah, I can't stand Octavarium, either. The title track was good (although its buildup was a little too long for my tastes), Panic Attack and Sacrificed Sons were decent, and there was a ballad on there somewhere that I liked. However, the album doesn't stack up anwhere near DT's other stuff in my mind... it seemed to rip off of too many other bands.

It only makes good sense because of the fact that we're talking about Roadrunner Records here. I'm guessing that if they signed to SPV or something, if the songs themselves didn't end up being more epic sounding, then they'd've put out Prophets of War or Ministry of Lost Souls.

I gave the album a full listen today, and I must say I'm not too impressed with it. Forsaken is cool, and parts of ...Presence of Enemies are good, but there seems to be a big lack of melody. Ministry of Lost Souls is a good tune, but it could have been trimmed down big time. Parts of this album just drag on and on, and aside from a few sections, it's not very chaotic (as the title would imply). Repentance and Prophets seem really simple and boring to me, and the whole instrumental section in Ministry feels entirely out of place. Oh well... just my two cents.

I gave the album a full listen today, and I must say I'm not too impressed with it. Forsaken is cool, and parts of ...Presence of Enemies are good, but there seems to be a big lack of melody. Ministry of Lost Souls is a good tune, but it could have been trimmed down big time. Parts of this album just drag on and on, and aside from a few sections, it's not very chaotic (as the title would imply). Repentance and Prophets seem really simple and boring to me, and the whole instrumental section in Ministry feels entirely out of place. Oh well... just my two cents.

I consider that structural chaos, personally.

I still prefer Octavarium over Systematic Chaos. Repentance is really boring, and its beginning is taken from This Dying Soul, so obviously they are linked songs. Constant Motion is okay, but the chorus could be better. The instrumental of the opening track is great. What I don't know is how you hate so much Octavarium, I honestly like it a lot.

Ministry of Lost Souls, In Presence of Enemies Pt. 2 & The Dark Eternal Night are fantastic. Forsaken and Prophets of War (yes, I liked it...) are great. The other songs are good, nothing terribly addictive though.

Still, great album, it doesn't have a particularly bad song, IMO.

What I don't know is how you hate so much Octavarium, I honestly like it a lot.

Me too.

New album is great. It's got a song for every mood. Something heavy, something cheesy, something epic, something mellow, something pink-floydish. Really awesome album.. probably their best since SFAM... but I really love all of their albums. The only thing I miss is a really sick guitar-solo.. not necessarily mega-shred fest.:loco:

Status
Not open for further replies.