The official metal 2011 thread

Martyr is fucking great but nowhere near the same as Obscura. the latter is one of my favorites for sure, cosmogenesis was my answer to Necrophagist's Epitaph, primarily because it has a rawer sound and is more "melodic" and interesting in terms of songwriting. I'm not going to get in a argument over opinion but I think Obscura has a really great innovative new sound for tech death

i have listened to gorod and yattering and though both incredibly boring, yattering was just atrocious. and how can you even cite odious mortem as not being wankery? the gory blister stuff is pretty cool, i like the vocals but again it's just a different sound than obscura. I think if you want br00tality then listen to the song cosmogensis, that one always got my blood flowing.

The two singles I've heard from the new Turisas album have been slightly underwhelming. I hope the remainder of the album has better songs. They sound uninspired and kind of stale. Time will tell, I suppose.

Apparently Nightsbane is in Obscuras street team or something. He's getting laughably agitated.

Thanks for posting several yawnariffic tracks.

Gory Blister - Skymorphosis paints the walls with the blood of every other modern tech death album, as far as I'm concerned. Gorod, Human Mincer (brutal/tech death), Pavor and Emeth (newest album) are all far better tech death bands than Obscura, who are basically just wanky sweep-"death" with far too much emphasis on showing off and not enough focus on good, solid songwriting.

edit: I forgot many which I could namedrop but here's a few more:

Cephalic Impurity - Unique Brute Revival (brutal/tech)
Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries
Odious Mortem - Devouring The Prophecy
Kataplexia - Supreme Authority (somewhat brutal)
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance (brutal/tech)
Atheretic - Apocalyptic Nature Fury
Scrambled Defuncts - Souls Despising The God (this is unlike anything ever made)

Odious Mortem is fucking amazing, love them so fucking much dude.

This little Obscura mini discussion made me check out their Retribution album. I like it WAY more than the stuff I heard from Cosmogenesis.

Heavier production and more Death Metal sounding, but still has a good bit of catchy melody here and there.

Some cool cover songs too.

I loved Cosmogenesis and I am very much looking forward to the new one. I think Obscura has what so many other tech-death bands lack in regards to songwriting, memorable riffs etc. Im not gonna get into a big discussion since it all comes down to individual taste in the end (hence no one will win this "feud") but I do think we can safely say that Obscura is not one of those guitar wanker bands. Necrophagist is way more guilty of that (and I love them to so...) ;)