The Official Movie Thread

1701559018627.jpeg

I checked this out since director Kim Hong-sun has been selected as the director of Gangs of London s03. Starts off as Con Air on a boat before going off the rails completely and turning into a Ryuhei Kitamura film. Enjoyable trash but not impressed by the direction, very flat cinematography and lots of quick cuts. The best thing I can say about it is that it is violent and gory as hell.

Rating: Not good but CiG would like it/5

Fair.

It's not the worst I've seen in that regard but it's pretty disappointing. And this is the guy they're picking to replace the void left by Gareth Evans? Sad, I hope he can exceed my expectations.

I've tried to watch that movie several times but always turned it off < 20 mins in for some reason. You have me curious now, especially with the GoL connection.

The Daily Wire's new transphobic comedy masterpiece.

Watched this last night it's fairly average.
There was some good parts, some funny parts but overall it was pretty tame and only mildly entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: CiG
What made you two like it so much? The more I thought about how he framed the film, the more I disliked it. Then I saw some stuff that was left out or misconstrued from the book and I'm more surprised.

I still enjoyed seeing it and would agree it's probably my favorite since The Departed...but, to me, showcased Scorsese's limitations in story telling.

Way better than The Departed. Again, not even close. That's a remake anyway.

What's the issue with how it was framed and what was left out/misconstrued?

Dang I never heard that was a remake.

Framing wise...I thought Mollie was rather dumb when it came to her husband. Dumb and just unexplored how she never thought he was a part of anything, especially when she trusted him with the medicine in the second half.

I don't remember everything I read from reviews, but I saw that Ernest wanted Molli there the night he blew the house up with Mollies sister or whoever that was.

Going further , I thought there was no explanation or analysis or even acknowledgement that Ernest was a piece of garbage and Scorsese instead just played it off like he was an idiot.

My assumption is that Scorsese did not have a lot detail to work with in regards to character development and instead left it that way, rather than creating something from nothing.

I almost think this film would've worked better if it came from a vein like Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, where the same story can be told as Killers of the Flower Moon but the Osage get their revenge, much like Tarantino and Sharon Tate.

shutter island would be a possible exception, i recall liking it stylistically while also thinking it was fucking stupid. haven't seen it since it came out though.

Reactions: rms
I was laid up today, crook as hell, so I decided to watch all 3 Magic Mike movies. I now have a migraine and I'm possibly a bit gayer, but it was enjoyable. I had no clue Channing Tatum was a genuinely talented dancer. Holy shit.

I'll read your comment a bit later @rms.

Framing wise...I thought Mollie was rather dumb when it came to her husband. Dumb and just unexplored how she never thought he was a part of anything, especially when she trusted him with the medicine in the second half.
Your perspective is much too macro here. Love clearly played a huge role in why she couldn't see what Ernest was doing. If Scorsese had written her the way you would rather, she wouldn't have even seemed human. How many husbands or wives who get scammed/murdered by their spouse are able to see it coming? There have been men throughout history who got away with serial scams of multiple wives and it's not like many of them were sociopathic geniuses.

I don't remember everything I read from reviews, but I saw that Ernest wanted Molli there the night he blew the house up with Mollies sister or whoever that was.
I seem to remember him not wanting her to visit her sister. Can't remember, not sure what the point is though.

Going further, I thought there was no explanation or analysis or even acknowledgement that Ernest was a piece of garbage and Scorsese instead just played it off like he was an idiot.

My assumption is that Scorsese did not have a lot detail to work with in regards to character development and instead left it that way, rather than creating something from nothing.
Definitely disagree, Ernest was very clearly depicted as naive/stupid yes, but also more importantly very greedy and a huge coward. This is why even in the end he couldn't admit he poisoned his wife. He usually pawned off the dirty jobs to others. He was drafted but somehow managed to avoid combat as a cook. He got paddled by his old ass uncle when he could've easily resisted lmao. He almost didn't even testify against his uncle until his daughter died of whooping cough and he assumed his uncle did it.

In fact I think one of the film's best qualities is the way King is slowly revealed to be unhinged in how malicious he is, and by contrast Ernest is just a spineless fuck who actually wants to do the right thing but never will.

Re: Killers of the Flower Moon

Killers is the longest movie I've ever seen in a theater. I would guess that it's the longest movie to get a wide theatrical release in a long time, but I don't know for certain. And the first two fucking hours of the movie are just this barrage of tragedies happening that you're stuck watching from the perspective of the people perpetuating them. It's oppressive and makes you angry and disgusted which is the exact effect it should have. I haven't read the book and I'm not familiar with the events it's based on, but I understand that most of Scorsese's changes were in reframing the story from a murder investigation from the point of view of the FBI to more of a character drama from the perspective of the killers. This is a bold move that gives up one hell of a twist and also makes the colonialist despoilers the only characters with any real agency for most of the film, which might be more inline with American history than the version where hero FBI agents save the day. I also loved the fourth wall-breaking ending where Scorsese comes up on stage and admits that even this telling of the story is still one that had to conform to the standards of a commercially viable product within a capitalist institution that would never give the Osage filmmaker who should be telling this story the chance.

Going further , I thought there was no explanation or analysis or even acknowledgement that Ernest was a piece of garbage and Scorsese instead just played it off like he was an idiot.

I almost think this film would've worked better if it came from a vein like Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, where the same story can be told as Killers of the Flower Moon but the Osage get their revenge, much like Tarantino and Sharon Tate.

Ernest was portrayed as a simpleton but I never got the feeling it was Scorsese's intent to absolve him of responsibility. I think the way his actions are portrayed so matter-of-factly and, as you say, with "no explanation or analysis" as if he was simply the protagonist of a normal movie not about psychopaths murdering their in-laws to inherit their wealth is part of what makes it such an uncomfortable watch.

As for Mollie's passivity, in addition to what CiG said I would like to add that untreated diabetes often leads to depression, executive dysfunction and lower cognitive functioning in general. It's not remotely unbelievable to me that she did not take a more active role in solving the murders or uncovering her husband's betrayal.

It's not as special to me as The Irishman because that movie felt like the culmination of an entire career spent making gangster films and this one is, well, not that. But I did love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Man. I totally disagree with you two, Killers is a gangster movie. Hale exhibits all important characteristics and that's what the movie is for what, 75%+ of it?

Ernest like Hill..what the hell. Giving a lot of leeway to a garbage character that Hill never was. Let me get to these spoilers later