The Official Movie Thread

furiosa review from letterboxd:
"I was 100% certain that Fury Road was going to suck, then changed my mind five minutes in and never looked back: saw it four times theatrically and still consider it one of the best movies of the past decade. Apparently I never learn, because I was 100% certain that Furiosa was going to suck, too, because I thought the trailer looked bad and the concept was lame and I had basically no interest in an expansion of this story, especially in the direction of a prequel. The lesson is to never doubt George Miller because George Miller is clearly a genius and should simply be trusted to do what he wants with this material, however unpromising it sounds. If you had asked me what qualities were indispensable to Fury Road’s success and should be retained for another movie no matter what I would have said its narrative economy and structural simplicity; Miller ditched both and somehow this movie is just as good, if not even better. I realize this is an annoying comparison, but it’s kind of like Twin Peaks The Return in that sense: on paper almost every single creative decision seems like the wrong choice and a betrayal of what was good about the original, but in practice those differences prove exactly right and it all works precisely in opposition to and in conversation with its predecessor. So many indelible images and sublime grace notes..."
Bold choice to go with a positive comparison to the never should have been made tein peaks season :lol:

Been seeing a lot of complaints on Furiosa based on the editing/sub par location choice. Doesn't sound too promising even with this hipstery of a review :lol:

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Last one i saw was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes but i dont really remeber anything from it. Fuck it, im about to throw it on in a bit.

My Apes collection...
IMG-20240526-182423840.jpg

IMG-20240526-182605496-2.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Sabaton have a concert movie getting theatrical release this October. That ought to excite heavy metal movie goers 🤣

I re-watched The Fall Guy last night figuring maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it the first time. But alas it's still crap. Sure there is some mildly impressive action scenes and the Sydney backdrop looks good but the story is utter shit. It's like the new Roadhouse movie, it seems that the writer have no fucking idea what the original story was and they just wrote whatever the fuck suits their one track minds. Just like Roadhouse losing the original essence of Dalton, The Fall Guy loses all essence of Colt Seavers and how "The Fall Guys" operated.
It was also weird to see the left hand GMC ute amongst all the the right hand drive Aussie cars. Considering the GMC with those colours was Colt's vehicle of choice I can't see why it was in Australia when he was called at the last minute to be a stuntman on someone elses movie.
Perhaps I'm just too picky and calling the movie SHIT was enough of a review.

The Incident is easily one of the most unhinged 60's films I've seen so far. Watched it last night, totally went in blind too.

Tony Musante and Martin Sheen (his debut iirc) are amazing as these 2 young wasted hoodlums that terrorise a train cart of passengers. Wish I knew about this movie years ago.

Last few movies i watched+detailed reviews of each ...
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - liked it
War for the Planet of the Apes - sucked
Ferrari - meh
The Killing of Two Lovers - not bad
The Beach - meh
Unfaithful - not bad
Butcher's Crossing - meh
Street Kings - liked it

Tonight...
MV5BMzE3NTMwOTk5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcxNTE1NDE@._V1_.jpg

It'd be admirable if he could ever actually explain or back up anything he says.

I know I forgot to reply back about killers (still no rewatch...), but hot damn I'm too busy for fun let alone internet arguing anymore.

I know Vegard likes that fucking twin peaks third season but my god that was abhorrent television. I read some shit on Reddit following that comment and it sounds like it has some season two payoff with the season conclusion, but at least there were significant episodes in season 2 that were fantastic.

I think I tried more than half of the new season and my memory tells me there was nothing enjoyable lol. I can't believe people finished it let alone thought it was a positive thing. Love my youth where I could watch garbage and not be pissed off after.

For myself, Godzilla Minus One made it to Netflix and finally watched it. I think hearing all the hype kind of "ruined" it for me, but still some of the better/best Godzilla in some time.

Maybe I'll try and rewatch Killers of the Flower Moon this week to bring this place back to life. Just kidding

I know Vegard likes that fucking twin peaks third season but my god that was abhorrent television. I read some shit on Reddit following that comment and it sounds like it has some season two payoff with the season conclusion, but at least there were significant episodes in season 2 that were fantastic.

I think I tried more than half of the new season and my memory tells me there was nothing enjoyable lol. I can't believe people finished it let alone thought it was a positive thing. Love my youth where I could watch garbage and not be pissed off after.

Once again you've offered up an extremely contrarian opinion with no real justification besides "everyone's wrong except me". It would be nice if you had a real argument for a change.

Yes the season 3 payoff is fantastic, competes with the Sopranos for best TV finale of all time. It ends in such a perfectly unresolved way that for months after watching it I had dreams in which I was seeing an imagined episode 19. A friend of mine finished the season this year and had the exact same experience. But I wouldn't consider it something you have to sit through to get to an amazing payoff, the season owns from the first episode to the last.

On an unrelated note, seeing Furiosa tonight. Hyped.