The Official Movie Thread

Just saw Mystics in Bali. Extremely cheesy, but that doesn't bother me when you've got a fetus-eating floating head.

I watched Awake and American Gansger with a girlfriend last week and actually enjoyed being around her(she's a tremendous bitch!)

Other movies i've watched recently.

Alpha Dog
The Sentinel
The Last Boy Scout

Don't know if this has been discussed yet? Haven't been in the movie topic lately.

Looking for a fairly new epic movie to checkout.

Some that I have recently seen that were ok.
300- very cool at times and then a bit silly at times.
Apocalypto- liked it, but not great.
Letters from Iwo Jima- good perspective from the enemy side. But this movie really dragged on, and they said it was better than Flags Of Our Fathers? Yikes!

Some that I'm interested in seeing but have been hesitant because of mixed reviews. Appreciate input on the following or any other sugg.s
-Beawolf?
-Pathfinder?
-Elizabeth / Golden Age?
-The Nomad?
-In The Name Of The Name Of The King?
:kickass:

Some that I'm interested in seeing but have been hesitant because of mixed reviews. Appreciate input on the following or any other sugg.s
-Beawolf?
-Pathfinder?
-Elizabeth / Golden Age?
-The Nomad?
-In The Name Of The Name Of The King?
:kickass:

Beowulf was really mediocre. Not a faithful interpretation of the poem.
I really want to know about Pathfinder too; I've heard it's bad, but I still want to see it
Elizabeth: The Golden Age was a good movie, but not great. The sets and costumes were awesome, and Cate Blanchett was great; but the story was tattered and seemed to be a series of scenes strung together rather than a cohesive story.
Don't know The Nomad.
Don't know about In the Name of the King; but most Uwe Boll movies suck big time.

Pathfinder?[/I]

I really want to know about Pathfinder too; I've heard it's bad, but I still want to see it.

I didn't think Beowulf was that bad.

Pathfinder was shit. I still can't belive I watched the whole thing.

muzmaze; You should watch 10,00 BC. Most of the plot has been done before but there was something I still liked about it.

I didn't think Beowulf was that bad.

It wasn't that it was a bad movie (I suppose), but it was not the Beowulf of tradition. I was expecting a romanticized, heroic adaptation of the poem. What the film actually turned out to be was a postmodern reinterpretation of a romanticized classic (I don't mean it was from the Romantic period, only that it is a very romanticized depiction of a warrior). Sure, I understand that in real life there is no Beowulf like in the poem; but I don't need some pretentious film to tell me that. I wanted to see the poem on film; something more in the vein of 300-esque heroism and romanticism. Zemeckis didn't offer that at all. He consistently undercuts Beowulf's intentions and exposes the flaws in his character (as he sees them). The best thing about the film was the anti-Christian sentiment.

Beowolf and Grendle with Gerard Butler and Stellan Skarsgard was ok, and seemed to be better version.

BTW- Stellan Skarsgard was amazing as the viscious leader of the Saxon Army in King Arthur, that also featured Ray Winstone as one of King Arthurs soldiers. Winstone plays in the new Beowolf movie, go figure.

Oddity-13; think I will checkout 10,000bc, forgot about that one.

Thanks

Just saw The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, which is one of the films that inspired Reservoir Dogs, for those of you who don't know. Really good crime movie.

Mmm, just curious, whats everyone here's opinion on Quentin Tarantino? I like all his stuff so far, but I've heard that he takes all his good ideas from old movies. I've been checking out the movies he supposedly stole from, and while their influence on him is obvious, it really doesn't seem like anything more than paying homage to the greats of the past. So far nothing terribly huge has been taken from the old films, but I still got more to see.

Mmm, just curious, whats everyone here's opinion on Quentin Tarantino? I like all his stuff so far, but I've heard that he takes all his good ideas from old movies. I've been checking out the movies he supposedly stole from, and while their influence on him is obvious, it really doesn't seem like anything more than paying homage to the greats of the past. So far nothing terribly huge has been taken from the old films, but I still got more to see.

I'm a big fan of Tarrantino so of course, I see him as paying homage to these old movies. He admits to his influences and I've watched a few of them. There is not one movie by him that I don't enjoy on some level.

Kill Bill 1 was pretty annoying, I didn't really like it, but the second was much better (still ont great though). I loved Pulp Fiction though, fucking great movie. Which reminds me that I have to see it again :p

It wasn't that it was a bad movie (I suppose), but it was not the Beowulf of tradition. I was expecting a romanticized, heroic adaptation of the poem. What the film actually turned out to be was a postmodern reinterpretation of a romanticized classic (I don't mean it was from the Romantic period, only that it is a very romanticized depiction of a warrior). Sure, I understand that in real life there is no Beowulf like in the poem; but I don't need some pretentious film to tell me that. I wanted to see the poem on film; something more in the vein of 300-esque heroism and romanticism. Zemeckis didn't offer that at all. He consistently undercuts Beowulf's intentions and exposes the flaws in his character (as he sees them). The best thing about the film was the anti-Christian sentiment.
I saw a trailer for that movie and it looked like it was all really appalling CG.
I haven't seen too much of his stuff, but yeah, I've heard it's more or less all theft/homage/references.

^YES. Those movies are cinema classics, and the stories and acting in them really are very cool (Resevoir Dogs is my favorite).

As for the Kill Bill series, it's fun, but nowhere near as awesome as these films. It's too over the top for me. Has anyone seen the Grindhouse movies yet?