The Official Movie Thread

That's one of the (very) few films that made me literally cry. I was fucking bawling at the end of that movie.
I didn't cry but it was extremely emotionally intense. That scene when Edward Norton and his harpy bitch of his girlfriend are arguing with his mom's jewish boyfriend was so intense. The hate felt so real and it made me feel really bad. It also gets bonus points for having two actors from Star Trek in it.

Just saw The Dark Knight. Total fucking win.
dot x 1000

I didn't cry but it was extremely emotionally intense. That scene when Edward Norton and his harpy bitch of his girlfriend are arguing with his mom's jewish boyfriend was so intense. The hate felt so real and it made me feel really bad. It also gets bonus points for having two actors from Star Trek in it.

I'm an emotional guy, I guess. :cool: Norton is such a good actor, I think that's what did it. That dinner scene is intense, and the scenes with Norton and the black guy in jail are great. It shows so well how he came around and changed his views. Amazing film.

I'm an emotional guy, I guess. :cool: Norton is such a good actor, I think that's what did it. That dinner scene is intense, and the scenes with Norton and the black guy in jail are great. It shows so well how he came around and changed his views. Amazing film.

I think his readiness to convert after a lifetime of prejudice is slightly unrealistic, that was my main problem with the movie, well that and the overly dramatic ending, but that's just a personal preference, I like my movies to be understated. Generally a very good film though.

That's fair.

I think the conversion might seem a bit much, but when you take everything into account it makes sense. You can see how resentful he is towards the black guy he folds laundry with at first, but gradually he comes around (I think this is done well). He befriends the "neo-nazis" in prison, but realizes that they don't uphold all the morals he does, and they betray him. Suddenly he finds himself in danger from the people he thought were his friends. And when it's all done, and he gets out, he realizes that the black guy was protecting him the whole time.

I think that more could have been shown regarding his hesitance in "conversion," or more time given to his struggle. But they can't show everything, and I think a lot has to be left to audience imagination.

Since there was no amount of time told, how can you tell how long it was? :p

id say 4 years, which is what id guess, of his environment would change it up

I think his readiness to convert after a lifetime of prejudice is slightly unrealistic, that was my main problem with the movie, well that and the overly dramatic ending, but that's just a personal preference, I like my movies to be understated. Generally a very good film though.
These were my only two problems with it as well, but I think it was necessary to avoid too long of a movie.

Not historically accurate but I heard about this Icelandic filmmaker Hrafn Gunnlaugsson, who has released a trilogy of viking films.

I correct myself, after reading up on this a bit, although there are some fantastic elements to the film, apparently the film makers did do a lot to base the movies on real periods of the viking era and provide some level of realism of the times.

american history x is terrible. chill out and smoke a fat one aight 'cause life's too short for hatin - david mckenna youve blown my fucking mind, it was right there in front of me but i was blinded by my prejudice, thank god life isn't too short to make movies as important as american history x. back in a bit, im gonna go remove my swastika tattoo and join my local b-ball team

as for shawshank, at heart it's one of the most clichéd, safe, cloyingly sentimental christian parables going, nestling itself into the heart of the zeitgeist and using so many strings it pulls everyone right in with it. it's (sort of ironically) a de-individualising experience, about as unchallenging as it's possible to get. technically well made and everything but ugh

btw dark knight is now number 1 on imdb by a MASSIVE margin

Yeah wow, holy shit. Thats gonna be stuck up there for a while I think, and it's probably earned itself a permanent spot in the top 250.

Its made 155 million $ this weekend grabbing the record.

Also, saw In the Mouth of madness last night. Pretty awesome, but I sorta hate how fat mother fuckers have their hold on a dvd for 2 days and fuck up a disc completely.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth last night. Too much WWII. For a bunch of the movie I was thinking "when will the next fucking task start!"