The Official Movie Thread

Just got around to watching Double Indemnity, which was really excellent. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to classic noir, but seemingly every defining characteristic of the genre was abundant throughout the whole film.

I'm going to keep my film viewing momentum in swing and watch a few more tonight, most likely Polanski's Chinatown, Emperor of the North, and Written on the Wind. Long weekends are spectacular.

i love 'double indemnity', one of my favourite noirs, awesomely brooding. watch 'sunset blvd' man, it fucking rules even more. and 'ace in the hole' is arguably as good for that matter. billy wilder owns sometimes.

'chinatown' is totally essential brilliant viewing but a fairly similar film of the same period is 'the long goodbye', which i love even more. highly highly recommended.

So I Am Legend was pretty good for an hour and then sucked.
My main question is who the fuck decided they needed cg monsters? They would have looked 100x better if they were just dudes in makeup. Seriously, it was really stupid.

yeah the whole thing was pretty bad in comparison to the book, not helped by the shitty CGI (and the serious lack of vampire awesomeness), but the first hour is at least mildly entertaining. it becomes horrible from around the bit where he starts rapping about shrek & bob marley to that latina.

Saw Mr. Brooks yesterday. I enjoyed it. Plenty of subplots yet it never got confusing. The only thing that bothered me was the ending, which was kind of dissatisfying and inconclusive... Sequel?

Tonight after sauna, I watched Doomsday. I've certainly seen better. It wasn't entirely horrible though. Oddly enough, it got progressively better as it got further. Except for the ending, which did nothing for me.
The strength of the movie lies in its diversity, but it doesn't really come off as diverse until after around 40 minutes or so. The beginning is terribly dull and generic; it doesn't become interesting in the slightest until the main cast is reduced to just a handful that you can keep track of. The medieval setting towards the second half of the movie was an interesting twist on a tired genre.

...And yeah, I do get most of my movie recommendations from this very thread.

You talkin' a' me? I said ARE YOU TALKIN' A' Me? I DON'T SEE ANYBODY ELSE HERE!

Mathias, I'd recommend you do your paper on Se7en. I've always wanted to write a paper on that movie.

Hmm, I'll look into that.

Seen that and wrote my first paper on it incidentally

The Happening is out on DVD today. Prolly watch it tonight. Anyone see it? Heard it wasn't very good.

I liked it. I don't see why it got so much shit

So I Am Legend was pretty good for an hour and then sucked.
My main question is who the fuck decided they needed cg monsters? They would have looked 100x better if they were just dudes in makeup. Seriously, it was really stupid.

What are CG monsters? Did you watch the alternate ending? I'm pretty sure I liked the alternate ending better, but I haven't seen that movie since it came out on DVD and I have a terrible memory.

I watched Dead Ringers last night. Absolutely incredible film. Jeremy Iron's portrayal of both Beverly and Elliot Mantle was excellent.

I also watched Cronenberg's The Fly an hour ago with some friends. Great movie as well.

Watched Embrace of the Vampire. It's been a while since I last saw it, and to be honest, I don't really understand the flak it receives. It's definitely one of the better vampire films I've seen.