The Official Movie Thread

My brother is writing me a list of movies I need to watch. First up is Kalifornia and Still Crazy. Will probably watch the former after sauna.

The rest of the list:

Eyes Wide Shut
Platoon
We Were Soldiers
Wild At Heart
The Piano
Blow
Sixth Sense
The Beach

I'd start with Platoon and Sixth Sense.

Platoon is so well done, great beginning, good story in between, and a great ending. Really makes you feel like your right there in battle. Especially the first 15-20 minites...the most intense, gripping beginning war scene that you'll ever see.

I've seen Kalifornia, Still Crazy and The Beach.

Loved Kalifornia. The first part was hilarious, the second part was, well... Whatever it tried to be. Still Crazy did nothing for me, This Is Spinal Tap is simply way better. The Beach was great. The story was not quite what I had anticipated. I also love drama movies that go haywire.

I just watched The Brothers Solomon, I was really suprised at how funny I found it, it was completely in tune with my type of humour. It's definitely a 'you'll either love it or hate it' thing, but I was pleased to see a comedy that was a little less in your face and direct in its presentation.

I'd start with Platoon and Sixth Sense.

Platoon is so well done, great beginning, good story in between, and a great ending. Really makes you feel like your right there in battle. Especially the first 15-20 minites...the most intense, gripping beginning war scene that you'll ever see.

Platoon is one of my all time favorites. Excellent movie.

Alot of great actors in it and very well directed and filmed.

Inland Empire is brilliant once you understand what it is about. It took me a two full views before I understood it. Once I did understand it, the images, sounds and plot came together and made such a pleasure for me.

There are only two Lynch films worth watching - Eraserhead and Elephant Man.
Some of his early shorts are good too. Films like Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and Inland Empire hold very little appeal for me.

Gozu - I watch a ton of Takashi Miike films but rarely do I claim to understand them. I enjoy his movies as much as I do because they linger in your head for so long afterwards. This one is no different.

Perhaps they aren't to be understood. Either way, Gozu was a very special movie for me - while watching it, I was mostly bored, but after I had watched it I found it wouldn't get out of my head. It wasn't until then I realized it was a very unique and interesting experience and I was glad I had watched it.

Just saw another Miike film, Shinjuku Triad Society. It was quite good. Somewhat normal (by Miike standards)
Fairly similar to Dead or Alive. I'd say it's almost on the same level but I think I need to see it again before I can say for sure.

Dead or Alive did have the most shocking ending of any movie I have ever seen, though.

Saw The Wackness last night. Really quite shit actually. It was one of those stylishly shot 'cool' films where everyone is on drugs but the plot was basically the same as Grease with the gender roles reversed and lots of hip-hop instead of 70s interpretations of 50s music.

Saw The Wackness last night. Really quite shit actually. It was one of those stylishly shot 'cool' films where everyone is on drugs but the plot was basically the same as Grease with the gender roles reversed and lots of hip-hop instead of 70s interpretations of 50s music.

I was so suprised by this film. It went a lot deeper than I thought, cracking soundtrack as well. I wouldn't really compare it to Grease though...
If anyone is put off by the name like I was, don't be!

Another film that suprised me recently - The Brothers Solomon.
One of the funniest films I've seen in a while. It tried some slightly different humour to a lot of the recent hollywood comedies and it paid off. If you're bored of the 'Seth Rogan' style comedy that seems to be everywhere at the moment, give this a go.

Tombstone is good, I like Everett Hitch from Appaloosa better as a character than the individual characters in Tombstone. Although you gotta tip the hat to Doc