The Official Movie Thread

star trek was just good, 'fantastic' is pushing it. i'm not sure straight up revivals like this can ever be really great, the freshness is mostly on a stylistic level.

memento owns. christopher nolan owns in fact - overrated or not.

can't wait for the new HP

i've seen 3 jarmusch films, liked one (broken flowers) and disliked two (dead man, ghost dog). guy's mostly too caught up in his own obscure liberal symbolism to write cogent scenes, seems like he doesn't bother integrating his ideas into the whole properly because he needs them to stick out like a sore thumb.

i'll watch some of the '80s stuff though. i have 'down by law'.

i've seen 3 jarmusch films, liked one (broken flowers) and disliked two (dead man, ghost dog). guy's mostly too caught up in his own obscure liberal symbolism to write cogent scenes, seems like he doesn't bother integrating his ideas into the whole properly because he needs them to stick out like a sore thumb.

i'll watch some of the '80s stuff though. i have 'down by law'.

I enjoyed Dead Man. I think its "meaning" is meaninglessness. It flowed like a typical postmodern work; broken traditions, no sense of centrality in the main character, no purposeful plot to speak of. Also, being a literature major, I loved all the subtle hints at William Blake.

I've seen a few of Jarmusch's films and only really liked "Dead Man" and "Down by Law"...I don't know...he seems like he's trying too hard to be indie and cool

If any of you are fans of the new ultra gory films that have been coming out of Japan recently, The Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police, then there's double good news for you.

Yoshihiro Nishimura, director of Tokyo Gore Police is coming out with a new film called Vampire Girl Vs. Frankenstein Girl.

Noboru Iguchi, director of The Machine girl is coming out with a new film called RoboGeisha.

As with the previous two films, Yoshihiro Nishimura will also be the special effects director for the two new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recently watched a Czech film from 1966, Happy End directed by Oldrich Lipsky. This film is told in reverse order, except unlike recent reversed films like Memento and Irreversible, this one is literally backwards, not just the scenes in the reverse order. The actors mouthed their lines backwards, so once reversed it would make sense what they're saying, though the sentences are presented in reverse order, and often have double meanings.

The film is narrated by it's main character who tells the story as if it was meant to be told this way. So when he's decapitated in the very beginning, he calls it his birth, not his death. And when he's chopping his wife up with an axe, he says he's building a wife. The narration ends up being an exact mirror of itself, with the only real difference being that (as you probably guessed from the title) the ending is a happy one rather than a tragic.

Came across to me as a parody of commercialized cinema. The truth is distorted, and horrible events (rape, murder, etc.) are made light of in favor of making a more digestible film for mainstream audiences. Saturated with special effects, and requires the narrator to attempt to string the barely coherent plot points together.

Absolutely loved it, highly recommended.

Just recently watched a Czech film from 1966, Happy End directed by Oldrich Lipsky. This film is told in reverse order, except unlike recent reversed films like Memento and Irreversible, this one is literally backwards, not just the scenes in the reverse order. The actors mouthed their lines backwards, so once reversed it would make sense what they're saying, though the sentences are presented in reverse order, and often have double meanings.

The film is narrated by it's main character who tells the story as if it was meant to be told this way. So when he's decapitated in the very beginning, he calls it his birth, not his death. And when he's chopping his wife up with an axe, he says he's building a wife. The narration ends up being an exact mirror of itself, with the only real difference being that (as you probably guessed from the title) the ending is a happy one rather than a tragic.

Came across to me as a parody of commercialized cinema. The truth is distorted, and horrible events (rape, murder, etc.) are made light of in favor of making a more digestible film for mainstream audiences. Saturated with special effects, and requires the narrator to attempt to string the barely coherent plot points together.

Absolutely loved it, highly recommended.

That sounds really cool. I love that effect for doing the film backwards (Coldplay used a similar technique for one of their music videos).