The Official Movie Thread

Watched Sunshine (sci-fi). Liked it.
Pretty great movie, another winner from Danny Boyle, though I'm ambivalent about how the evil dude was portrayed at the end of it. The film had to break style to do the whole "he's too scary to actually show him" thing. Amazing other than that, though.

My cell phone's ringtone is the rather haunting distress beacon they pick up from the earlier vessel. You can also hear it on Darkspace's third album.

Honestly I thought the addition of that guy was an odd way to increase the tension of the movie. It did increase it, which was good, but I found it out of place. But the more I think of it, in light of some of the plot points, maybe that guy was a good addition. Maybe it was just the filming, as you said, that didn't sit as well with me.

Those faces that would flash on the screen really kinda flipped my son out. I mean, not really, but he found them kinda unnerving. He's 15.

well because when it came out, I recall it receiving rather lackluster reviews, and I remember hearing the premise of the movie and thinking to myself, "Pfft. That's a bunch of bullshit."

but now it's getting this cult status among sci-fi people. I guess I need to fall in line

It's a visually impressive film, and the presence of the "evil guy," while it seems initially flawed and impractical, actually provides an interesting aspect of the film. I remember, as I was watching it, thinking: "wow, I really should be finding this stupid, but it actually kind of works."

Furthermore, it combines the characteristic Boyle grittiness with the sleek, transcendental beauty of space (two oddly juxtaposed aesthetics, since space itself is grim and empty, and yet somehow representative of transcendence and hope).

It's far from Boyle's best film, and it's definitely not perfect; but it's a fine science fiction piece.

Has anyone watched Pixar's new animated movie "Up"? Ardent fans call it the studios' greatest achievement since Ratatouille, which I thought was unbelievably brilliant. This has me excited.

I'd have to say 28 Days Later is still my favorite Danny Boyle. I just really like his work in general though, he's very consistent.

Speaking of which, though, a very inconsistent director: Takashi Miike. I've only ever really liked Audition and Visitor Q -- could do without the rest, including Ichi the Killer -- but I just recently saw his 2006 film Sun Scarred, which was above average as far as Miike films go. Without saying too much, it eschews most of the gratuitously cheesy gore and absurdity Miike is better known for and goes for a more straightforward drama about a father who stumbles into trouble with a small gang of violent youth, and loses everything over it.

Tough Miike himself is spotty, I'll admit I have a thing for 'edgy' but idiosyncratic Asian directors like Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Kim Ki-duk, and Bong Joon-ho.

On the Pixar tip, I really should get around to seeing Ratatouille one of these days. I never hear anything but praise for it.

Has anyone watched Pixar's new animated movie "Up"? Ardent fans call it the studios' greatest achievement since Ratatouille, which I thought was unbelievably brilliant. This has me excited.

I haven't seen it yet but it looks good.The pixer movies I have seen are great aside from Bugs Life or Cars which both are boring.I need to watch Ratatouille sometime.

You should. It's absolutely transfixing. Well, it least it has been for me.
I actually think Pixar are hit and miss. Wall-E wasn't bad, , Toy Story is pretty cool, and The Incredibles was fine for one viewing(although it hasn't aged as well; I'm not much of a fan of the superheroes theme), but Ratatouille blew me away. I've watched it several times and it's so charming.

I actually think Pixar are hit and miss. Wall-E wasn't bad, , Toy Story is pretty cool, and The Incredibles was fine for one viewing(although it hasn't aged as well; I'm not much of a fan of the superheroes theme), but Ratatouille blew me away. I've watched it several times and it's so charming.

Toy Story is my favorite pixer movie.Finding Nemo is ok but gets annoying after a while.The Incredibles was pretty good.Wall-E would be second to Toy Story has my favorite pixer movie.

Saw Paranormal Activity tonight; thought it was good. It's slow, but that's how it builds tension, which really does heighten throughout the film. Some of the night scenes are truly harrowing, even if only for a short time.

Speaking of which, though, a very inconsistent director: Takashi Miike. I've only ever really liked Audition and Visitor Q -- could do without the rest, including Ichi the Killer -- but I just recently saw his 2006 film Sun Scarred, which was above average as far as Miike films go. Without saying too much, it eschews most of the gratuitously cheesy gore and absurdity Miike is better known for and goes for a more straightforward drama about a father who stumbles into trouble with a small gang of violent youth, and loses everything over it.

Tough Miike himself is spotty, I'll admit I have a thing for 'edgy' but idiosyncratic Asian directors like Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Kim Ki-duk, and Bong Joon-ho.

I agree that he's inconsistent, but I've watched dozens of his movies because the good ones are just so damn good it's worth it. I actually haven't watched Sun Scarred yet, so I'll put that on my list.

If you like his less violent side, I suppose you could try Ley Lines. It's another one of his more dramatic films and one of my favourite works of his.

seen nemo?