The Official Movie Thread

Hostel is great. The first one, anyway. Better than Martyrs, yes.

I understand that you disagree, but really, stop trying to insult/discredit me. My observations are sound. Your defenses like, "Of course it was a systematic process, the lady said it would be" don't hold water because that "systematic process" was fucking boring and repetitive and not at all affecting to the viewer (speaking for myself, anyway)... like I said.

It wasn't scary or supposed to be, it was just her being taken down to nothing, is that scary to you?
Uh, yes, that sort of thing is supposed to be scary. Being "taken down to nothing" is what makes boys being screamed at by drill sergeants piss their pants and cry. And this was supposed to be sheer fucking relentless torture. Wasn't scary or supposed to be? What the fuck are you even talking about?

She was being haunted from her psychologically and was trying to appeal her by 'avenging' her death/torture whatever you may want to call it. That was cheesy to you?
Yes?

And her friend the whole time wasn't sure if she was crazy or not, so of course this undermined the fucking movie.
Um, yep.

Getting the feeling you know fuck all what you're talking about.

yeah I'm pretty interested in seeing that. both that and The Road come out this weekend...I can experience both extremes!

Yeah, try and see both if possible (if you haven't already), as I've also heard great things about The Road.

Anyways a couple days I saw A Serious Man (Coen Brothers film) which was quite good, though a bit confusing. I didn't enjoy it as much as their other works that I've seen however (Fargo, Burn After Reading, O Brother Where Art Thou, Big Lebowski etc).

me too. it's something like 'dogville' in a school, an old-school greek revenge tragedy marching forward with the same grim inevitability. owns the shit out of 'elephant' for my money.

I get many of my movie recs from your RYM profile, you know. Your taste is similar to mine so I'm trying to go through all the movies you've rated 4 stars or higher.

I'm actually planning to see Elephant soon. I have an interest in the theme and I have never seen any films by Van Sant before.

I actually saw Dead Ringers not so long ago, and disappointingly it did absolutely nothing for me. And I'm normally a big fan of Cronenberg.

Dead Ringers and Videodrome are probably my two favorite Cronenberg movies, actually. The Brood and Scanners are pretty high up there, but not quite on the same level as the aforementioned, for me.

So, wait. Does RYM have a movie rating feature too, or does no country for old wainds just have stuff he added to his profile...? I'd love a rateyourmovies.com, or last.film or something like that.

I've heard James Cameron no longer has the action choreography chops demonstrated in the opening bar fight scene in Terminator 2 (for example). So basically, I expect Avatar to be nothing but a bombastic CG spectacle with gaudy "romantic drama" mixed in. Maybe a very slim cut above the latest Michael Bay CG spectacle -- which isn't saying much.

This is only idle speculation, mind you.

I've heard James Cameron no longer has the action choreography chops demonstrated in the opening bar fight scene in Terminator 2 (for example). So basically, I expect Avatar to be nothing but a bombastic CG spectacle with gaudy "romantic drama" mixed in. Maybe a very slim cut above the latest Michael Bay CG spectacle -- which isn't saying much.

This is only idle speculation, mind you.

From what I heard I don't know if I want to see this or not.
The last movie James Cameron made Titanic suck ass.I haven't seen T2 in quite a while but what I remember it was a great action movie.I still need to see his other movies which I haven't yet.

the road is getting *very* mixed reviews in my experience, splitting a lot of people who usually agree. i'm expecting not to like it too much but i hope i do.

criticker is a far better rating/recommending site than RYM for movies btw.

I saw Elephant and it was okay, slightly better than I had hoped. I actually thought of an interpretation while watching it that accounts for many of its flaws and oddities, but from what I've read afterwards it doesn't seem like one that Van Sant intended.

I really enjoyed all the long, pointless, trivial scenes. I'm not sarcastic.