The Official Movie Thread

gonna have to agree with Dakryn. the first 20 minutes of Inglorious Basterds were absolutely flawless. the rest of the movie, while being somewhat enjoyable, really felt like it couldn't decide whether it should be tongue in cheek look at brad pitt sound funny or look at tarantino do another chick getting revenge flick

I have a feeling Best Picture will go to The Hurt Locker, but I never saw it...but I intend to

Yeah I think the main draw to tarkovsky is the Cinematic/VIsual Poetry.It is just unbelievably beautiful.

ANd yes, Mirror is unbelievable as well. The poems that are recited in that movie are amazing.

On the topic of Tarkovsky, what do people make of The Sacrifice? As blown away as I was by the imagery, I couldn't help feeling a tiny bit disappointed. This is a beautiful movie don't get me wrong, my disappointment was merely testament to the quality of his other work.

Also, any Tarkovsky fans I would highly recommend checking out some Bela Tarr and Nuri Bilge Ceylan films, in particular Werckmeister Harmonies and Kasaba. Anyone seen these / fans of these directors?

I would also be very interested to know if anyone has seen Satantango by Bela Tarr, it's top of my to see list. It's 7 and a half hours long and has some of the longest shot takes in the hiistory of cinema. He's one of the only directors who could pull this sort of film off. The atmospheres he creates are absolutely mesmerizing and engrossing, I doubt I'd have any problems viewing the whole thing in one sitting.

Just caught up with...

88 minutes- Pacino
The International- C. Owen

both I thought were well done thrillers...entertaining, interesting with good storylines.

I would also be very interested to know if anyone has seen Satantango by Bela Tarr, it's top of my to see list. It's 7 and a half hours long and has some of the longest shot takes in the hiistory of cinema. He's one of the only directors who could pull this sort of film off. The atmospheres he creates are absolutely mesmerizing and engrossing, I doubt I'd have any problems viewing the whole thing in one sitting.

I've seen it. It took me about 4 or 5 sittings to watch it. I don't think I could take it in one, it's quite oppressive though not as much as Damnation. Werckmeister Harmonies is my favorite of his, I still need to see Family Nest which I haven't got around to watching.

Just started watching the first season of Lost.

The only person keeping me interested is Locke.

So far the cliffhangers are getting on my nerves and the zooming in on the characters face when they go into their past is just horrible, as well as the slow mo LOST coming at me every other transitional phase.

So I watched 28 Weeks Later...I didn't like 28 Days later all that much...but this one was fucking excellent. Much more horrifying and terrorizing.

Just started watching the first season of Lost.

The only person keeping me interested is Locke.

So far the cliffhangers are getting on my nerves and the zooming in on the characters face when they go into their past is just horrible, as well as the slow mo LOST coming at me every other transitional phase.

John Locke is my favorite character on Lost. His back story is heartbreaking. And the slow-mo "Lost" only happens after the intro scene to each episode.

Anyway, I think it's a great show, and it really develops several interesting layers later on in the series.

Mathiäs;8880191 said:
I liked the Hurt Locker and all, but I didn't think it was that mind blowingly awesome.

I was disappointed by The Hurt Locker.

gonna have to agree with Dakryn. the first 20 minutes of Inglorious Basterds were absolutely flawless. the rest of the movie, while being somewhat enjoyable, really felt like it couldn't decide whether it should be tongue in cheek look at brad pitt sound funny or look at tarantino do another chick getting revenge flick

This. I am not really a Tarantino fan, but I mainly agree with this summation of the flick. Not for me.

Imprint - There's no doubt Miike is messed up and he proves it again in this short horror film. I do not like how he's having his actors speak English with thick Japanese accents like he did on Sukiyaki Western Django. I don't think the actors can show emotion well when it seems like they're concentrating on pronunciation. Speaking of emotion, congrats to Billy Drago on overacting this one throughout. Even John Travolta could have given a more subdued performance.

Imprint - There's no doubt Miike is messed up and he proves it again in this short horror film. I do not like how he's having his actors speak English with thick Japanese accents like he did on Sukiyaki Western Django. I don't think the actors can show emotion well when it seems like they're concentrating on pronunciation. Speaking of emotion, congrats to Billy Drago on overacting this one throughout. Even John Travolta could have given a more subdued performance.

The best part of this film is the very end where it shows her as a little girl sitting on the rock singing. That scene just has beautiful colors throughout.

Watched "Ghost in the Shell 2" for 2nd time, last night.

Its a beautiful movie. The Animation and art direction is beautiful, and those Gynoid just blow me away.Also, When you do catch whats going on, the philosophy and social commentary are incredible as well. Where it fails is how much dialogue there is, making the movie hard to follow the characters and especially the script.