The Official Movie Thread

I'm actually able to find most of the movies Ninjageek mentions without too much effort. I saw Happy End and thought it was really cool.

Half of the draw to Moon for me was the fact that the budget was 1 Million dollars, and it was so fucking well pulled off....I honestly Didnt find anything wrong with the movie. Also, Hurt Locker was pretty good, but I agree that it was overrated.

alright you Tarkovsky fellaters, explain to me why Stalker is so great. yes the cinematography is good, and yes tarkovsky did some cool stuff with the whole shifting from sepia to color and other tricks with the camera, and yes I get the allusions to the cold war (or war in general)

but aside from all of that, why should I consider it a "sci fi milestone" (as the netflix card said)?

cause all tarkovsky movies are more gorgeous looking and hypnotic than basically all other movies ever? calling the cinematography 'good' is like calling shakespeare 'good', that shit don't fly nigga.

with stalker it's just the atmosphere/direction i love really, all the talkiness and allegorical stuff just serves to make it a lesser film than, say, mirror. i should watch andrei rublev...

I haven't ventured into Stalker territory yet as far as Tarkovsky goes, but I've been told that it helps a lot if you've read the book it's based on first. Generally Tarkovsky aims to make more poetic cinema, so appreciation is based more on mood and atmosphere than anything completely concrete.

If you have any doubts about his ability to direct, check out Ivan's Childhood. It's much more accessible than his other work.

Yeah I think the main draw to tarkovsky is the Cinematic/VIsual Poetry.It is just unbelievably beautiful.

ANd yes, Mirror is unbelievable as well. The poems that are recited in that movie are amazing.

cause all tarkovsky movies are more gorgeous looking and hypnotic than basically all other movies ever? calling the cinematography 'good' is like calling shakespeare 'good', that shit don't fly nigga.

with stalker it's just the atmosphere/direction i love really, all the talkiness and allegorical stuff just serves to make it a lesser film than, say, mirror. i should watch andrei rublev...

okay then I got everything I was supposed to out of it. I don't know. Perhaps I'm just jaded and not easily impressed, but I wouldn't call it a sci-fi "milestone." It's a good movie and Tarkovsky obviously has a great eye

Saw Moon the other night and really enjoyed it, and saw Zombieland last night and enjoyed most of it. Best intro to a movie ever.

shark_attack_2.gif

Shark Attack 3...most be one of the funniest fucking movies I ever saw.