The Official Movie Thread

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=17772

White: New Mortal Kombat Webisodes Will Lead to Feature Film
Source: Bagged & Boarded
January 15, 2011

Matt Cohen from the Smodcast "Bagged & Boarded" dropped Shock a line overnight to point us to his latest recording in which they spoke with Michael Jai White (Spawn, The Dark Knight).

The actor told them that Warner Bros. is preparing a line of Mortal Kombat webisodes that will lead up to a new feature film.

Now, if you recall last year, director Kevin Tancharoen put together a super violent, super dark "pitch film" for a Mortal Kombat reboot. Tancharoen will be directing these webisodes, so expect to see the same aesthetic he brought to his film (seen below) applied to the webisodes.

movies I've watched recently

-Tron: Legacy 3D (B-, amazing visuals and costumes but disappointing plot/soundtrack)
-Inception (A-, great ideas and well executed but wasn't interesting enough to become a favorite)
-Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (A+++++ this is my favorite movie)

I gave Social Network another go and finished it, and it was just terrible. Why was it regarded so highly?

Also watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, pretty depressing and had a beautifulness to it, but not sure if i'll ever watch it again

I gave Social Network another go and finished it, and it was just terrible. Why was it regarded so highly?

onus is on you to provide some criticism, otherwise i cba defending something that finished near the top of just about every respectable 2010 best film poll going.

i pretty much just refuse to believe that anyone doesn't understand the high acclaim - the excellence of the craft is totally self-evident. seems like personal dislike for the subject matter got the better of him, but that's hardly a legit reason to call a movie 'terrible'.

Just watched the film Lebanon.

wow.

It was as if Tarkovsky directed an anti-war movie. Very beautiful and very, very moving.

Also, the score has a few moments where it delved into dis-harmonic lines. If they had extended that a bit more, in a There Will be Blood direction, it would have pushed the movie over the top imo.

Sorry, little drunk.

i pretty much just refuse to believe that anyone doesn't understand the high acclaim - the excellence of the craft is totally self-evident. seems like personal dislike for the subject matter got the better of him, but that's hardly a legit reason to call a movie 'terrible'.

Well for one, the main character, he's a piece of shit. He has no redeeming qualities, and the entire movie focuses on him like we should try and understand or sympathize with him or something..but he's just worthless

The two twins feel like a retarded joke/stab in Harvard..and it's not like it's in frequent in the movie they are in much of the movie.

And the whole premise of him committing the crime of stealing intellectual property, honestly did anyone care? Were you really interested to see how it worked out?

And then the separation of his first finance guy and the napster guy, forget the character names now wasn't really interesting..because the main character is just a complete piece of dirt that there was nothing redeeming about him at all.

In retrospect I just can't think of anything that was mildly interesting about the entire story, what piqued your interest? That's just what I want to understand, people say it's excellent but why!

excellent, excellent writing. and the acting was just top notch. it made a seemingly lackluster story filled with action, suspense and all that other good stuff, in its own weird way. obviously you can have your opinion but the odds are against you, winners of best film usually are deserving of it

the film's very similar to 'there will be blood' and 'citizen kane' in terms of basic story, did you not like those films either? fincher isn't identifying with anyone here as far as i can see, it's more just a detached, taut, scathingly ironic document of how the creative impulse, and the impulse that fosters technology's mounting presence in our world, is rooted in the same old sexual insecurity that's been driving us all along. and then there's the flawless direction, acting, script, score etc...

Well for one, the main character, he's a piece of shit. He has no redeeming qualities, and the entire movie focuses on him like we should try and understand or sympathize with him or something..but he's just worthless

The two twins feel like a retarded joke/stab in Harvard..and it's not like it's in frequent in the movie they are in much of the movie.

And the whole premise of him committing the crime of stealing intellectual property, honestly did anyone care? Were you really interested to see how it worked out?

And then the separation of his first finance guy and the napster guy, forget the character names now wasn't really interesting..because the main character is just a complete piece of dirt that there was nothing redeeming about him at all.

In retrospect I just can't think of anything that was mildly interesting about the entire story, what piqued your interest? That's just what I want to understand, people say it's excellent but why!

Nothing you just said is relevant. Dislikable characters don't make for a dislikable movie. Have you thought that maybe you're not supposed to like him?

saw True Grit last night and really, really liked it. But I'm a sucker for Westerns, The Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges anyway

Agreed, about everything. :cool:

A lot of people complained that it was too simple (which isn't really a criticism at all in my opinion, considering simplicity can sometimes make for a more engaging film), but I didn't really think it was that simple. The acting brought out more depth than the story had to offer, for sure.

Furthermore, some of my friends complained that it couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to be a drama or black comedy. Well, why can't it be both? One thing I liked about it was that it couldn't decide. After all, with all this shit happening to him all the time, maybe cracking jokes is the only way Rooster Cogburn can cope with the world.