The Official Movie Thread

Black Swan was cool. It was really quite a bit like The Wrestler. I've read that some people were expecting something like Mulholland Drive, but that is pretty far off the mark aside from the lesbian scene and some identity issues. But I thought it was pretty clear by the end of Black Swan what the literal narrative was, and what was in Portman's head. Mindfuck would be an overstatement.

Found JCVD at the library. Hoping that lives up to modest expectations.

I just saw Black Swan and it might just be Aronofsky's worst movie yet. I was never a big fan of him but I like his movies just about enough that I'll be sure to watch every new one he makes. This one, I can't say I enjoyed.

His movies tend to be very obvious allegories with little room for interpretation and I don't have a problem with that, it's one of his defining traits as a director. But despite how blunt it was at times (enough mirrors already) I wasn't really sure what Black Swan was trying to say. My favourite moment of the movie was this one pivotal scene in the last third that made everything clear.

The setup was boring and the climax was ridiculous, and Aronofsky does climaxes so well even in his worst movies (like The Fountain) :( Plus, ballet is just really damn boring, and this movie had much more to do with ballet than The Wrestler had to do with wrestling.

will check out Eraserhead thanks and I have seen oldboy...fucking great movie (the whole vengeance trilogy is great).

Hard-Boiled - John Woo all the way. Early 90's cheese with freeze-framed scene transitions, wipes, and a soundtrack that could fit into any episode of Miami Vice. The gun clips held thousands of rounds, shotguns destroyed and set fire to everything and the body count was bloody and high. Little long but this is to be expected when gun fights last 15 minutes. Wish there was more hand to hand goodness, though. 3.5/5

I just saw Black Swan and it might just be Aronofsky's worst movie yet. I was never a big fan of him but I like his movies just about enough that I'll be sure to watch every new one he makes. This one, I can't say I enjoyed.

His movies tend to be very obvious allegories with little room for interpretation and I don't have a problem with that, it's one of his defining traits as a director. But despite how blunt it was at times (enough mirrors already) I wasn't really sure what Black Swan was trying to say. My favourite moment of the movie was this one pivotal scene in the last third that made everything clear.

The setup was boring and the climax was ridiculous, and Aronofsky does climaxes so well even in his worst movies (like The Fountain) :( Plus, ballet is just really damn boring, and this movie had much more to do with ballet than The Wrestler had to do with wrestling.

interesting. i think we're p closely aligned on this kind of thing. i was p psyched after reading http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/blackswan.htm as chaw's p much my go-to movie critic, but he's hardly infallible. oh well, i'll go see it anyway.

I thought it was well done, but not his best.

I loved the performative aspects of the film though, and I think it's a fascinating topic to deal with (i.e. the burden of performance, the intersubjectivity between artist and audience, etc.). It reminded me intensely of Sylvia Plath's "Lady Lazarus."