The Official Movie Thread

Valhalla Rising - Liked this one a lot. Main character was cool as hell. Brutal action that I wish there was more of. Awesome shooting locations. Usually I love movies like this so I also wish this was longer. A huge viking epic shot like this would be tits.

Concur totally. I was able to get a copy of and see VR a while ago. This when going thru my Mads Mikelson movie phase...wich included the highly recommended Flame And Citron (previously mentioned). VR is done in a unique way...very little dialogue and has amazing visuals. I'm waiting and wanting that similar "huge viking epic" film as you mentioned.

Also...finally watched Inglorious Bastards. Enjoyed it and there was more to it than expected. It did drag a bit...but even then it kept the interest level. Some priceless moments...I found (at the movie premier) impersonating / speaking Italian with a Tennessee twang...simply amusing.

I was disappointed by Winter's Bone. It's about a bunch of hicks who do drugs, a girl who's house is being foreclosed upon if she doesn't find her meth makin daddy and she has to deal with the scumbag lowlifes her father fraternizes with.

it seems to be a love it or could care less about it film. I was of the latter opinion

Well, I can't help now but to bring up the movie The Fighter starring Walberg and Bale. Has anyone seen this yet? Sports Illustrated has already stated The Fighter as being #7 on its list of top 30 alltime boxing movies. And Mickeys trilogy of fights against the late Aturo Gatti are considered some of boxings greatest fights of alltime...espc the first fight wich is considered the greatest...a must see for boxing fans and those alike.

The movie of course is the story of boxer Irish Mickey Ward who we know is from Lowell, Mass...my old stomping grounds. I casually know Mickey, met and hung out with him at Lowells Folk Fest this past summer. He is so down to earth such a regular guy who hasn't forgotten his home-city roots be them good and very bad at times. There is a scene in the movie in wich a family gathering turns ugly...this taking place on a porch (house) that is owned by a close friend of mine. A huge wrap-around porch that us friends frequently hang out in the summers to party and also in early fall to watch Patriot games. I can't wait to see this movie. I no longer live in Lowell but have many connections and many memories.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

I currently live (and grew up) in Lowell and saw The Fighter last week. It was excellent.

I'd say more but I really don't know what to say. Bale was fucking excellent, Adams killed it and Wahlberg was a very believable rendition of our little hometown hero.

I was disappointed by Winter's Bone. It's about a bunch of hicks who do drugs, a girl who's house is being foreclosed upon if she doesn't find her meth makin daddy and she has to deal with the scumbag lowlifes her father fraternizes with.

it seems to be a love it or could care less about it film. I was of the latter opinion

It's coming in the mail Saturday, I'll let you know later.

As for Poultrygesit: Night of the Chicken Dead... I've never seen so many fat, ugly topless women in one movie before. Why does Lloyd Kaufmann also have to have some kind of demented penis murder scene involved in every movie? .. Considering my last watch consisted of a guy getting butt fingered by a zombie, Winter's Bone may not be so bad.

I enjoyed Black Swan. It bore some similarities to The Wrestler (in my opinion) as far as the performative aspects of the narrative go. It was also deliciously unsettling and strange. And some of the shots were gorgeous.

I wonder if many here have ever seen these? Quietly two of the finest movies I've ever seen.

The Mission

At Play In The Fields Of The Lord

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm already p sure i'm gonna dislike the fighter before seeing it. looking forward to black swan though.

i've seen hardly anything from this year, only thing i've really liked was toy story 3. i've made a list of stuff i still really want to see though:
Everyone Else
Secret Sunshine
October Country
The Ghost Writer
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
The Social Network
Ondine
Bluebeard
Samson & Delilah
Kisses
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Animal Kingdom
Womb
When You're Strange
Uncle Boonmee
We Are What We Are
I Saw The Devil
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?
Caves of Forgotten Dreams
My Dog Tulip
Meek's Cutoff
Kati With An I
The Illusionist
I'm Still Here
Bedevilled

anyone seen any of these?

The Ghost Writer was surprisingly good. The beginning is pretty slow and whatever, but the last hour or fourty-five minutes really kick things up

muzmaze: I've seen The Mission, but it was like six or seven years ago so I don't remember much. I liked it though