The Official Movie Thread

The Dark Night Rises was good, but I feel the best of the Trilogy was the second Batman with the Joker, he gives out his card at somepoint in the movie and it is a joker card. why so serious ?

I just watched Iron Sky and it was surprisingly entertaining. I was awaiting total crap and it was at least funny.

I finally went to see The Dark Knight Rises today. Excellent end to the trilogy but The Dark Knight is definitely better. The only problem I really had with the film was the abruptness of Bane's fate.

did anyone else see the hunger games???

I went to see it in the cinema. It was a lot better than I expected but nothing special. I think this picture sums it up perfectly.

hunger-games-battle-royale-with-cheese-meme.jpg

I finally went to see The Dark Knight Rises today. Excellent end to the trilogy but The Dark Knight is definitely better. The only problem I really had with the film was the abruptness of Bane's fate.

I went to see it in the cinema. It was a lot better than I expected but nothing special. I think this picture sums it up perfectly.

hunger-games-battle-royale-with-cheese-meme.jpg

first
the hunger games is NOT a rip-off of battle royale, suzane collins had never even heard of battle royale untill after she had finished writing the first book in her trilogy

second
if you're gonna say the hunger games is a rip-off of something, it's closer to being a rip-off of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojo_(comics)

third
battle royale is book where all the characters kill each other, and that book/movie plot had already been done alot before Suzanne Collins had even been born, when i read battle royale, i'd thought it seemed to be a rip-off of lord of the flies

fourth
battle royale didn't even become popular untill after the hunger games became popular

Battle Royale is nothing like Lord of the Flies...totally different back story and point to the story I think. Hunger Games and Battle Royale are both pretty much about a futuristic world where kids kill each other for tv glory. I read the book some years ago but have boycotted the film since release

just watched Dark Knight Rises... it was cool and suspenseful/gripping and all, but something about the story was unsettling, like it was trying to be soooo epic and complex/dramatic that it became unrealistic. still, it was enjoyable and i would probably watch it once or twice again just to iron out the plot and stuff.

just watched Dark Knight Rises... it was cool and suspenseful/gripping and all, but something about the story was unsettling, like it was trying to be soooo epic and complex/dramatic that it became unrealistic.

It confounds me that people keep saying this. It's a comic book superhero movie.

The premise of hijacking an entire city may be a bit far-fetched, but superhero narratives are, by their very nature, allegorical representations. The Dark Knight Rises isn't supposed to be even a remotely accurate representation of law and order. It's an exploration of economic disparity and organized rebellion, and it deals with that subject matter very well.

i've pinpointed one thing that kinda annoyed me, which was how they treat Gotham City like some lame fragile baby that must be cared for and nurtured throughout the whole movie (and the whole trilogy actually), lol.

but i guess it's the basis of the story and a way Nolan separates his movies from regular good guy vs bad guy plots.

anyways i didnt like Hathaway's acting; it was generic "ohhh look at me i'm a femme fatale with a heart" drivel. it can't hold a candle to Pfeiffer's manic psychobitch Catwoman. and Talia wasn't evil enough.

everyone else was good, Bane's voice was a liiittle too cartoony though.

Battle Royale is nothing like Lord of the Flies...totally different back story and point to the story I think. Hunger Games and Battle Royale are both pretty much about a futuristic world where kids kill each other for tv glory. I read the book some years ago but have boycotted the film since release

in lord of the flies, there's a plane crash, and somehow or another, all the adults die but all the children live (distractingly unrealistic scenario btw) and the children walk out of the plane wreckage to find themselves on an uninhabited island, and they end up killing each other because "human nature" makes random people "become evil without the rules and regulations of society", the book is basically a social comentary on describing "the evilness of human nature"

in battle royale, the kids are mysteriously knocked unconscious and wake up in a different location, and the "social commentary" is altered (and i personally say removed) because when the kids are given weapons, they are actually instructed to kill each other, the kids having access to guns might have resulted in them killing each other even if they had not been instructed to do so, but without the kids actually being instructed to kill each other, then it's just a rip-off of lord of the flies

the hunger games, on the other hand, has a completely different social commentary, and is also a classic example of "epic world-building" which the other 2 are not, the other 2 don't really have world building at all, in both battle royale and lord of the flies, we are seeing people walking around in a world that could very well be the same world that the readers live in,
however, in the hunger games, there is an spectacularly done level of "epic world-building", the world of the hunger games is "post-apocalyptic-dystopian-distant-future" and the entire country of "Panem" is completely obsessed with the annual event of "the hunger games" done as a social commentary of the way Americans obsess over the annual Superbowl or the way Europeans obsess over Soccer's annual World Cup, the games themselves are a parody of "reality TV" where the tributes being forced to kill each other, while the citizens of "the capitol" watch gleefully, is a social commentary of human cruelness, elitism and bigotry, where, in the real world, straight people can watch gays being victimized, and white people can watch black people being victimized, and it's okay, or even entertaining, because the victim "isn't one of us" and therefore, de-humanized, a black person gets murdered it's on the local news for one day, and the police make no attempt to arrest anyone, but a white person gets murdered it's on CNN for a week and the police actually convict someone of murder, the same thing is going on in the universe of Panem, the citizens of "the capitol" see the residents of the "12 districts" as "sub-human" and the people of "the districts" are killed for the amusement of the people of "the capitol", this elitist apathy for the value of human life is social commentary of something that occurs in the real world of The United States of America, the whites don't care if the blacks get murdered, the straights don't care if the gays get murdered, the born in america people don't care if the illegal immagrants get murdered, etc etc etc, and the hunger games does social commentary on this

just watched Dark Knight Rises... it was cool and suspenseful/gripping and all, but something about the story was unsettling, like it was trying to be soooo epic and complex/dramatic that it became unrealistic. still, it was enjoyable and i would probably watch it once or twice again just to iron out the plot and stuff.

i don't have a problem with a superhero movie trying to be "epic", i just have a problem with a batman movie trying to be "epic", a batman movie should be just batman vs a villain character, and it should be about 1 hour and 50 min long, if i was going to make a "superhero" movie be "epic" i would do a movie where an extraterrestrial species tries to conquer earth and the Justice League or the Fantastic Four are somehow able to barely stop the aliens from taking over earth... oh, wait, we just saw that movie, it was called "the Avengers" and the Avengers just totally blew away the Dark Knight Rises at the box office

It confounds me that people keep saying this. It's a comic book superhero movie.

The premise of hijacking an entire city may be a bit far-fetched, but superhero narratives are, by their very nature, allegorical representations. The Dark Knight Rises isn't supposed to be even a remotely accurate representation of law and order. It's an exploration of economic disparity and organized rebellion, and it deals with that subject matter very well.

if i wanted to see "social commentary" in a movie, i'd just watch the hunger games (see my previous post)
Hunger Games >>> The Dark Knight Rises BTW

i've pinpointed one thing that kinda annoyed me, which was how they treat Gotham City like some lame fragile baby that must be cared for and nurtured throughout the whole movie (and the whole trilogy actually), lol.

but i guess it's the basis of the story and a way Nolan separates his movies from regular good guy vs bad guy plots.

anyways i didnt like Hathaway's acting; it was generic "ohhh look at me i'm a femme fatale with a heart" drivel. it can't hold a candle to Pfeiffer's manic psychobitch Catwoman. and Talia wasn't evil enough.

everyone else was good, Bane's voice was a liiittle too cartoony though.

the "standard good-guy vs bad-guy plots" can be good if done well, like Daredevil

i didnt like Hathaway's acting; it was generic "ohhh look at me i'm a femme fatale with a heart" drivel. it can't hold a candle to Pfeiffer's manic psychobitch Catwoman

Pfeiffer's catwoman was the sexi-EST female to ever be in a superhero movie

Under the Red Hood is a better Batman movie than any of the Nolan films, only it's animated so it doesn't get any credit.

no one's mentioned the animated batman movies, and i agree with you,
overall, i'd say animated batman >>> live action batman
also
i want to mention that The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises both totally sucked

I watched the first Alien last night and Sigourney Weaver was hot in 78 holmes.

EDIT: I like when girls have a thin upper lip.