The Official Movie Thread

Elysium - was pretty cool but it all seemed to... Easy maybe? And where the hell did the droids go once Damon reached Elsyium? The villain, Chuck Norris lite was also fairly boring and somehow ate a grenade to the face that didn't damage his brain.

That movie was so black-and-white polarized that it came across as pretty shallow. There was nobody in Elysium one could sympathize with.

went and saw American Hustle the other day and really liked it. Amy Adams's sideboob and cleavage everywhere

:kickass: I also thought it was real good, but I felt it dragged on just a touch. But still very good.

And Amy Adams >> Jennifer Lawrence. I don't really understand how people find Lawrence very attractive. She has a weird face.

That movie was so black-and-white polarized that it came across as pretty shallow. There was nobody in Elysium one could sympathize with.

It was surely lacking. Some of the special effects were cool though... Like when they flew into Elysium....

The Lone Survivor was very good. Though personally, I don't see how one can get shot 6-7 times and still be able to fight effectively.

Finally watched Anchorman 2 last night....

Oh boy, let me preface by saying I'm a huge fan of the original and still quote it to this day, and I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first one, but I never expected it to be this bad. This might just be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. What the fuck were they thinking? It took them 10 years to write...THAT?!

(SPOILERS)
It's a fucking mess. I never thought I'd criticize basic storytelling in a Will Ferrell movie, but why the hell were there so many sub-plots that led ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE? The boss-romance, the cover-up of the airline, the blindness, the reconnection with his son (which was so poorly done I don't even know where to start...I mean why was the kid always so happy, he clearly didn't even need Ron there, who really gave a shit when the ending came? I was expecting him to cover the airline story, not go to a fucking piano recital)

Fine, they want to do a Family Guy-style storytelling, go ahead. But why wasn't it funny? Why did they amp up Brick to be so annoying? His love-story wasn't funny at all, just weird and cringe-worthy (oh and another sub-plot that went nowhere). Did they have to give Ron so many "By the beard of.." lines? They worked good in the original because they were so sparse and unexpected, now it just felt forced. As a matter of fact, the entire movie can be summed up in that word: forced.

Anyway, just had to vent out 10 years worth of disappointment.

/rant

Kickass 2 - what the fuck was this? Seemed rushed and incomplete somehow and the little special effects sucked. This was a labor to sit through.

me and my girl saw it
she absolutely loved it
me, i didn't think it was up-there with the 1st one, but i thought it was decent

Amy Adams >> Jennifer Lawrence

according to the girl that's reading over my shoulder,
Jennifer Lawrence is scheduled to play Mistique a few more times and Katniss Everdeen 2 more times and in-between those, she's scheduled to do a few more horror/slasher movies, she's kinda everywhere at the moment

So far watched the first 5 Hellraiser movies, and enjoyed them until we got to the fifth one (Inferno), coincidentally the first one after they stopped doing theatrical releases. I appreciate how they reconceptualized the core premise, but it seemed to lose something essential in the process. Also, the year-2000 CGI was a turnoff.

Are the remaining films worth watching?

I tuned out after Inferno. I actually like that one but just by reading the descriptions of the following films its obvious they were all stand alone films with Pinhead thrown in at the last minute just to sell DVD's. I've been meaning to check out Hellseeker though for a while as Ashley Laurence makes an appearance.

That's the impression I got, and reading the synopses of the later films it seems they just rehash the formula over and over. I wouldn't mind seeing the remake of the original that I believe Clive Barker will direct himself.

watched The Art of the Steal last night on netflix. Documentary about the largest private art collection in the world, The Barnes Foundation, and how the city of Philadelphia basically stole it after the old man died. Very interesting doc

This looks like it could be great. The fact that James Gunn is directing is very promising, as I loved Slither.

Also really hyped for The Raid 2 after the rave reviews from Sundance.

Last edited by a moderator: