The Official Movie Thread

i normally watch a decent amount of horror and here's what i've watched the past few weeks:

Sleepaway Camp (1983) - total shit with a decent ending. some bad movies are ultimately entertaining but this one is pretty cringe worthy

Prince of Darkness (1987) - what a complete mess of a film. this is right up there with The Ward for the worst Carpenter film i've seen

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) - tries to be a serious film but the trumpet kill scene is just so fucking ridiculous. this film is just dull

Just Before Dawn (1981) - slasher in the woods. the setting is actually pretty cool with a lot of shots of the forest but overall this movie is just stupid. the kills aren't particularly good

Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) - this movie ruled. it's about a deranged 12 year old girl. this has one of my favorite kills with a girl being murdered by strangling and then put in a wood box and set afire during the mass of her first communion. this movie is a thriller/slasher with some plot twists and a really cool ending. decent amount of blood too for an early slasher

The Burning (1981) - rip-off of Friday the 13th but that franchise is pretty bad and this movie is decent. Tom Savini did the make-up and the gore/kills in this film are good but it's a generic slasher

I went to see John Wick tonight. I'm a Keanu fan, and it was getting good reviews. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's not essential to see in the theater. At the preposterous price of seeing a movie, this can wait until DVD release. I only go to about 1-3 films a year, so maybe more avid moviegoers will be okay with the cost. I find the theatergoing experience to be terrible for all but the best looking films, which this was not. Twenty full minutes of previews is bullshit. I wonder how long before someone offers premium priced films with zero ads or previews.

I'm not sure how popular or well-known this movie is, but it is dark, intense, and funny. Fantastic film; trailer doesn't do it much justice, but it's a really fun flick:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I'll check it out.

I'm not sure how popular or well-known this movie is, but it is dark, intense, and funny. Fantastic film; trailer doesn't do it much justice, but it's a really fun flick:

I'm watching this right now. Seems to fit the definition of Horror you describe.

lol once the doctor started talking about language. Did you have a hand in the making of this film? :p

Watched Under The Skin last night. I think I'm getting too old for these well produced nonsensical weird movies or something because I found it pretty tedious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq2a8lum_4

Will go see.

The Right Stuff (1983) is another good movie for those that have not seen. Not an acton flick though.

Any news on a new Star Trek film?
2016 will mark the 50th anniversary of the debut of Star Trek, and releasing a new Star Trek film that year is a no-brainer...
Paramount has not yet officially stated that there will be a third Star Trek film, which is surprising – they announced a sequel to Star Trek shortly after that film opened. However, co-writer Damon Lindelof has stated in interviews the film is going ahead. Paramount is rumored to be looking for a new director to replace JJ Abrams...

‘Star Trek 3′ Gets Three Writers; Aiming for 2016 Release Date

'Star Trek 3' Spoilers: Plot Set 5 Years After Second Movie; Filming Will Begin Early 2015?

Zachary Quinto, who played the role of Spock in the previous Star Trek movie series, recently revealed a few details on the upcoming Star Trek sequel during an appearance on The Today Show, "I think it's on the horizon, things are rumbling, so I have a feeling that we will be in production sometime in the next six months". The new sequel might just come sooner than we thought.

A new rumor is also surrounding the upcoming Star Trek 3. It is said that William Shatner might return in the new film as Captain Kirk

Trailer for the new movie Metalhead
this movie looks like it could be really good. I feel like the Icelanders are going to do a good job and not make it gay.

I'm watching this right now. Seems to fit the definition of Horror you describe.

lol once the doctor started talking about language. Did you have a hand in the making of this film? :p

It is catnip for literature scholars, in a way; but it isn't pretentious either. I explained the plot to my wife and she rolled her eyes. :cool:

What's great about it is that it ratchets up the tension but at the same time is so blatantly metaphorical as to be impossible to take seriously, which lends to its humorous quality. It's a dreadfully absurd film, which I love.

Watched Insidious, good horror movie, this isn't just your average horror flick, well done, has a nice classic vibe to it. I recommend for anyone looking to get there late Halloween horror movie fix.

Have not seen:

Audition (1999)

Unforgiven (1992)

Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)

Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)

Where The Buffalo Roam (1980)

More good movies:

Leon: The Professional (1994)

This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)

Raising Arizona (Joel & Ethan Coen, 1987)

The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)

Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)

Songs from the Second Floor (Roy Andersson, 2000)
People rave over Roy Anderssons new movie A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence. Haven't seen it yet.