The Official Movie Thread

Just watched Interstellar. I am with you guys, holy shit. Nolan took a great step forward with this away from his Inception/3rd Batman films. Just great. Seriously go spend the money people, it's fucking great.

This might be the best film i've seen in a theater before

Man, the 300 sequel the second time around was even worse than I remembered. I couldn't even make it to the Eva Green sex scene before turning it off.

I only attempted to watch it because my students have to for extra credit.

It really should have focused on the Battle of Salamis (the one at the end of the film) instead of the battle of Artemisium, i.e. following the actual historical narrative would have made the film better.

Finally went and saw Interstellar last night with my girlfriend in imax, and we were both fucking blown away. What a movie, and what an experience. Christopher Nolan has always been one of my favorite filmmakers, and this just reaffirms my opinion. Also, interestingly, this was the first film I was really excited about where I avoided ALL trailers, interviews, clips, reviews, etc. The only thing I ever saw was the first teaser trailer and the posters. In the end, I think it helped shape my experience. Nolan typically doesn't give away his films in the trailer (or misleads the audience in the case of Inception), but I wanted to go in as blind as possible, and I feel like it was a good thing

So its got modern CG/effects but actually seems to have a certain bit of that grittiness the original trilogy had unlike the prequels. The often poor dialog overly shiny/glossy CG are really what killed the prequels for me. The story was just fine, it just needed to be told better, with less gloss and someone else playing older Anakin...

I'm pretty hopeful for it. I think J.J. Abrams knows he cannot fuck this up or else he will die. I think I might do like I did with Interstellar and avoid future previews, reviews, and such

It really should have focused on the Battle of Salamis (the one at the end of the film) instead of the battle of Artemisium, i.e. following the actual historical narrative would have made the film better.

Mmmmm, Salamis.
5514414.jpg

Just got back from Interstellar. Gorgeous film, great score, solid acting... But a mess of a script. The whole thing felt stitched together out of maybe three different mini-films. And the big reveal felt very hokey.

I watched Cronenberg's latest last night, Maps to the Stars, and starting to think Cronenberg is just too out there now. Cosmopolis I thought was over the top and not very good, but this one is just all over the place. Julianne Moore played a great character no doubt, and the babysitter kid is probably exactly how every child star is, but after one viewing I don't know the point of anything or what he was trying to get across.

I fucking loved Cosmopolis, and a third viewing is in order. I've seen Maps to the Stars three times now, and my enthusiasm for it diminishes with each viewing. Julianne Moore, Mia Wosikowska, and that child actor give great performances, but the whole film feels a little limp and uncertain of itself. On a side note, I would do some horrible things to get a chance to do awful things with Julianne Moore.

Still need to see Birdman. I've been putting it off because most of my favorite critics have hated it. It sucks because I know I'll be carrying that bias going in.

Re: Interstellar. Amazing looking film with good performances and some laughably awful dialogue. I liked some of it and hated more of it.

Watched "As Above So Below" tonight. Basically the Blair Witch Project meets The Da Vinci Code. Probably not worth your time, though its filming in the actual Parisian catacombs was a plus.

Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)

Very good film that. If you're up for WW2 movies, Cross of Iron is of a slightly higher quality and comparable in the way it feels somehow.

Leon: The Professional (1994)
Good film, don't remember it that well though.

This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)

Bit overrated really, not amazing.

Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)

amusing enough, some scenes are legendary but I don't think the full mp movies work as movies, they should have just used the best scenes as segments of a tv show.

Here's my list of favourite films:

Blade Runner
A Short Film About Love
Videodrome
The Night Porter
The Seventh Seal
Das Boot
Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
Come and See (Belarus)
The 39 Steps
Wings of Desire
Cross of Iron
Mulholland Drive
Bad Timing
Forbidden Planet
Body Heat
The Ipcress File
The Odessa File
Alien
Aliens
The Living Daylights
They Live
Hardware
Dust Devil
Terminator
Black Book (Zwartboek, not the TV series)
Body Double
Police Story (1985) (I don't like ANY other films in this style or with Jackie Chan, just this one)