The Official Movie Thread

Still one of my all time favourites, in need of a good re-watching.

XvERCq8.jpg

I could say that about all you fags who haven't watched Humphrey Bogart.

Stop making excuses.

yeah, man. same director as IT'S ALIVE. it's a cult independent movie in the best sense, really weird screenplay and unhinged direction that some more classical folks might call amateurish, i'd call it alive. the premise is a catholic detective is investigating a spree of murders by random new yorkers who each claim "god told me to" before killing themselves.

SECONDS was even better though. one of the most paranoid, hopeless, cynical movies i've ever encountered. a lot better than THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (which is still good btw), the only frankenheimer i'd seen before.

Reactions: rms
Bitter Moon was really fucking depressing. Seems to me that Roman Polanski was projecting some pretty severe perversions. Still, well put together. I cant really rate it because I hate it but see it as very high quality film making

Over the past few years Bitter Moon has creped up the list of my favorite Polanski films. These days it holds a secure second place right behind The Tenant. Of course its mean and nasty. As it should have been. There's no "nice" way of telling a story like that. There's also something perversely funny about seeing Hugh Grant in a film like that considering the roles he would become known for as the 90' s progressed. Just like when he did Ken Russell's loopy Lair of the White Worm a few years before Bitter Moon.

Bad Timing (Nicholas Roeg, 1980) - Speaking of distressing relationship films. Roeg has been responsible for many a masterpiece but this has always been THE Roeg masterpiece for me. Art Garfunkel is one scary son of a bitch. You'll never hear Simon and Garfunkel the same way again after seeing him in this. Utterly chilling. But its Theresa Russell's show to steal, going to that deep, dark place which she does so well. All her roles for Roeg were brilliant but this is the benchmark. One of the best opening credits sequences ever too, Tom Waits' "Invitation to the Blues" couldn't have set the tone any more perfectly. This one will get under your skin.