The Official Movie Thread

I saw 'Bridge Of Spies' at the cinema recently.A really enjoyable true story apparently, I found it interesting how this guy went from defending a Russian spy in court to being caught up in the whole spy thing during the Cold War era.

Bridge of Spies was cool. Little preachy, but solid, I think.

Just saw Spotlight. Blown away. Responsible and honest. Well developed characters and plot. Can't recommend it enough. Better than Ex Machina and Birdman (first viewing).

It's so fantastic. I can't imagine Keaton isn't in the talks for Actor of the Year. Would love to hear some other opinions.

edit;

oh and Ruffalo's character is awesome. He's probably in it for Supporting Actor.

Yeah I saw the Bond film in the cinema too. Bond girl was pretty, car was pretty, train fight taken from From Russia With Love, alpine clinic taken from some other old Bond, etc.

I've seen all the old Bonds in chronological order quite recently so I enjoyed the references.

recent viewings:

THE ROVER (david michod). first act is the best, before and just after guy pearce meets pattinson. not that i minded pattinson's bizarre performance (he fidgets and gurns and stutters and drawls his way through some kind of hick jesse pinkman puppydog act), but i really just wanted a whole movie of guy pearce in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN-mode encountering complete fucking weirdos in the outback. there was this sense of pointless godless depravity to some of those early scenes reminiscent of, say, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. it's still really good and strange after it becomes a surrogate father/son road trip thing, and surprisingly unsentimental on the whole which helped make the ending a success, but it lost some of that early potency.

GLASS CHIN (noah buschel) which is like a hipster buddhist wet dream hidden inside a dark boxing/crime movie. pretty original and occasionally spectacular in style and tone, but the script is fucking unbearable, like something chris eubank's vegetarian daughter might pen.

VINYL (alan zweig). fantastic documentary on vinyl collectors, examining the various neuroses underlying their obsession. it's an exceptionally honest, naked little oddity, and a hilarious, kitschy cult classic made by a weirdo about weirdos, littered with fascinating oddballs including the filmmaker himself. unique experience for sure, particularly if you've got that collector bug as i know a few of you do.

WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES (bela tarr), which is obviously a masterwork. bookend scenes are especially wonderful. one day i'll finally pluck up the courage to tackle SATANTANGO.

Watched Terminator Genisys. I haven't seen the originals, so as we watched it my wife tried to fill me in on the backstory. It wasn't terrible, but the time hopping got old and I started messing around with sorting some things I needed to sort while it played. This happens with more and more movies coming out now, I just can't maintain interest throughout the movie. Just about everything feels either stale or like it's trying too hard to not be stale. I have high hopes for 2oolander though.

L'important c'est d'aimer (Andrzej Zulawski, 1975) - Jesus Christ. Its films like this that reinforce A. why avoiding relationships is the wise thing to do and B. that acting is indeed a noble profession. What a cast. Romy Schneider in the performance of a lifetime, Fabio Testi proving he was much more than an Italian stallion heartthrob and KINSKI as a fiercely bisexual actor willing to kick multiple asses just because one person brushed against his overcoat. Watch in the right frame of mind and it'll ruin you.

Last edited:
I saw the new James Bond film Spectre and thought it was really good.

Yeah it was pretty good, nowhere near as good as Skyfall though. I thought the story kind of dragged on a bit. And I don't know it kind of felt lackluster when it came to the action after the Helicopter scene after that there just wasn't much going on in between that and the car chase and train fight.

And Lea Seydoux is a fucking beauty. Man she was absolutely stunning and sooooo hot!

1440487514_Lea-Seydoux-James-Bond-543589.jpg