The Official Movie Thread

I've come to enjoy that movie over the years but it still kind of frustrates me. Given the subject matter it had the potential to be one Craven's darkest films yet it constantly pulls the rug out from underneath itself by being too jokey for its own good. Its entertaining for sure and I do enjoy its overall insane factor but every time I see it I'm always thinking of what could have been had Craven played it a bit more straight.

Not sure what I think of the movie. I'm going to have to watch it again. Phantasm 2 is classic. I use to walk and bike to this local video store when a kid and rent horror movies and sega genesis games everday. So it has been years since I have seen it, but it is some of the best horror shit bar none. Deff going to pick up 1 and 3. If someone knows an 80's,early 90's horror movies I might not have seen recomendations would be cool!

The quality of the version I saw was just fine. I don't know how you'll feel about it, but I thought it was perfect. Easily Kaufman's least Kaufman-esque movie and far and away the least insane, but it resonates all the same.

if it isn't my favourite movie of all time i'll be devastated and rate it 0 on criticker

If someone knows an 80's,early 90's horror movies I might not have seen recomendations would be cool!
Fair warning, this is going to be a tl;dr situation...

If you don't mind me getting on my soapbox, I'd just like to say that the 90's had more good horror films than its usually given credit for. Granted, when compared to the sheer mass of films that flooded the 80's then sure, the 90's might have seemed a bit slower but I'd hardly call it a "dry spell" or a "down time" for horror like I've seen it referred to many times. The problem with the 90's lied not with the films but rather with distribution with so many films going direct to video. Even if a film got a theatrical release it was so ridiculously limited it might as well have gone DTV anyway so a lot of films probably lost a good portion of their potential audience, those that didn't spent a lot of time in video stores constantly hunting for something new or read the genre rags, because of that.

American horror in particular seems to get a bad rap and I've always felt that it was mostly because of people thinking back to a post-Scream (1996) ecology were seemingly every new horror film was a Kevin Williamson penned meta knock-off starring all the hot teeny boopers of the day which is totally understandable but its important to note that prior to Scream, there were hardly any bandwagons to hop on in horror since the 80's had ended so a lot of the American product from the late 80's/early to mid 90's was pretty original. Now I have no clue what you've seen or not seen so you very well have seen every one of these films but these are some from your requested decades that immediately spring to mind. Also, you said "early 90's" so 1995 was my cut off year:

Gothic (Ken Russell, 1986)
White of the Eye (Donald Cammell, 1987)
The Lair of the White Worm (Ken Russell, 1988)
Deadly Dreams (Kristine Peterson, 1988)
Dr. Caligari (Stephen Sayadian, 1989)
Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1989)
The Guardian (William Friedkin, 1990)
Subspecies I-III (Ted Nicolaou, 1991-1993) *The 4th film in the series from 1998 is really good too.
The Borrower (John McNaughton, 1991)
Dust Devil (Richard Stanley, 1992)
Lower Level (Kristine Peterson, 1992) *More of a thriller but there are heavy psych-horror elements to be found.
Body Snatchers (Abel Ferrara, 1993)
Return of the Living Dead 3 (Brian Yuzna, 1993)
Night Terrors (Tobe Hooper, 1993)
In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter, 1994)
Castle Freak (Stuart Gordon, 1995)
The Addiction (Abel Ferrara, 1995)
Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Ernest R. Dickerson, 1995)
The Prophecy (Gregory Widen, 1995)

Europe was still delivering quality product in the late 80's going into the 90's thanks to the arrive of new auteurs like Jörg Buttgereit who was causing a ruckus in Germany with Nekromantik (1987), Der Todesking (1990), Nekromantik 2 (1991) and Schramm (1993).

Italian horror had new life breathed into it with new blood like Gianfranco Giagni's The Spider Labyrinth (1988) and Michele Soavi's Stage Fright (1987), The Church (1989), The Sect (1991) and Cemetery Man (1994).

The old Italian guard was still going strong as well with Dario Argento delivering one of his finest films in Opera (1987), Ruggero Deodato's supremely off the wall killer telephone romp Dial: Help (1988) and his erotic psych thriller The Washing Machine (1993). Giallo master Sergio Martino had the berserk action/horror hybrid American Tiger (1990), one of the oddest films you’ll ever see with its combination of rickshaw pulling, conspiracy, witchcraft and demonic TV preachers. Umberto Lenzi's last horror film to date, Black Demons (1991) is a really cool take on zombies mixed in with voodoo and possession and Lucio Fulci, who's post-New York Ripper (1982) output is often put down released the patchwork gorefest Cat in the Brain (1990) which pre-dated Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994), another self-reflexive film featuring a director haunted by his past work by 4 years. Fulci’s final film Door into Silence (1991) is also an effective low-key little chiller that wound up becoming eerily prophetic given its subject matter.

Spanish horror maestro José Ramón Larraz made three solid films around this time, Rest in Pieces (1987), Edge of the Axe (1988) and Deadly Manor (1990). While tailored for the American video market, all three feature several quirks unique to Euro horror making them stand out in their respective subgenres.

That’s not even mentioning the plethora of Asian stuff that came out around the same time!

My top 10 movies of 2015:

1. THE MARTIAN
2. SPY
3. STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
4. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION
5. AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
6. SPECTRE
7. CREED
8. FURIOUS SEVEN
9. MR. HOLMES
10. JENNY'S WEDDING

I thought the film adaptation of The Martian was okay, but it definitely missed a lot of what made the book really good. The film only scratches the surface of the science and math represented in the book. A couple of disasters and explanations as to why they happened also were missing from the film. There was also a noticeable lack of F-bombs in the movie. I think Ridley Scott did this intentionally in order to get a PG-13 rating in the States...He also probably left out a lot of the math/science heavy bits to focus more on the drama

It was good; it could've been better...but I don't think it was awful. And if it gets the American public interested once more in space exploration, I'm all for it (NASA and JPL were heavily promoting the film)

I don't think I even saw 10 films in 2015.

Anyway, getting reacquainted with my favourite film in the Dirty Harry series.

3RgbhCt.jpg

I don't think I even saw 10 films in 2015.
I only saw one that was actually released in 2015 and it was really late in the year because the DVD didn't come out until December. It was Takashi Miike's yakuza vampire hybrid Yakuza Apocalypse and it ruled. Anyone who likes Miike's zanier stuff like The Happiness of the Katakuris or Gozu should be right into it although its not quite a perverse as some of Miike's more popular titles. Still, its over the top excess like only Miike can do.

As much as I bitch about modern cinema I must say, from my vantage point there's many a reason to be exited. One my most anticipated films, Andrzej Zulawski's Cosmos which never made it stateside this year gets its US premier in February and hopefully will hit disc soon after. Paul Verheoven's Elle staring Isabelle Huppert (a dream combo if there ever was one) is due soon. William Friedkin promises a "down and dirty" gangster revenge tale with an adaptation of The Winter of Frankie Machine. Abel Ferrara is going experimental with the partially crowdfunded Siberia inspired by Jung's The Red Book. Richard Stanley is adapting Lovecraft's Color Out of Space.

The big boys are back and they're not fucking around. Even if all of those don't materialize this year its still nice to be excited for most than just one or two new movies.

Reactions: CiG and unknown
Shudder is a cool video service. it's $5 a month but it doesn't have a huge selection. you could probably watch everything worth watching in a month or two. it's available through amazon prime. i signed up for a free trial and watched a bunch of films.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - body horror industrial mindfuck. it's barely over an hour but the pacing is perfect

Tourist Trap (1979) - underrated slasher. the opening scene/kill is horrible and i didn't think i would be able to make it through the whole film but it is a creepy film that doesn't use gore. the villain is a rip off of leatherface

Eaten Alive (1977) - i never ever heard of this film before i watched it. anyways it's Tobe Hooper's first film after The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Robert Englund has a small roll in this slasher. the hotel owner looks just like this guy i work with so this film creeped me out more than it probably would for other folks

Dead of Night (Deathdream, 1974) - Bob Clarke directed allegorical Vietnam vet zombie flick

Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - Trey Parker / Matt Stone project before they were famous.

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) - Fulci directed Giallo about kids being killed. the ending scene is fucking hilarious

The Devil's Rain (1975) - captain Kirk vs satanists. the plot doesn't make sense but the black mass scenes look great. hilariously drawn out ending

I thought the film adaptation of The Martian was okay, but it definitely missed a lot of what made the book really good. The film only scratches the surface of the science and math represented in the book. A couple of disasters and explanations as to why they happened also were missing from the film. There was also a noticeable lack of F-bombs in the movie. I think Ridley Scott did this intentionally in order to get a PG-13 rating in the States...He also probably left out a lot of the math/science heavy bits to focus more on the drama

It was good; it could've been better...but I don't think it was awful. And if it gets the American public interested once more in space exploration, I'm all for it (NASA and JPL were heavily promoting the film)

i haven't read the book, but yeah, i can imagine if it had more emphasis on the science and process it'd be a lot more interesting. i just found the movie to be an interminable, cliché-ridden, sub-ron howard assembly line blockbuster, from the forced comedy to the lack of personality or any believable human interaction. *shrug* 'awful' is a bit much, but somebody's gotta counterbalance it being on the IMDB top 250 films of all time(!).

i don't really get the cynicism about modern cinema, it's in a way better place than music or metal IMO. obviously it wouldn't seem that way if you were just following IMDB/metacritic types, or big studio films which are generally inferior to those of various past eras, but it seems to me there's tons of creative stuff out there influenced by stuff that you guys like.

I don't know if I started this discussion about cynicism with new films but just in case, let me clarify that when I said "I don't even think I've seen 10 films from 2015" I was meaning it literally. I just haven't put in any effort or anything. Not that new cinema is unredeemable.

Cannibal The Musical is one of my all time favourite films!

I don't know if I started this discussion about cynicism with new films but just in case, let me clarify that when I said "I don't even think I've seen 10 films from 2015" I was meaning it literally. I just haven't put in any effort or anything. Not that new cinema is unredeemable.
I think that was more of a response to my comment about having a tendency to bitch about modern film. I actually don't think I've done it all that much in this thread though. I'm not entirely down on new movies but I think I've said a few times here that the overwhelming majority of new films that I've loved have come from established names.

Fair warning, this is going to be a tl;dr situation...

If you don't mind me getting on my soapbox, I'd just like to say that the 90's had more good horror films than its usually given credit for. Granted, when compared to the sheer mass of films that flooded the 80's then sure, the 90's might have seemed a bit slower but I'd hardly call it a "dry spell" or a "down time" for horror like I've seen it referred to many times. The problem with the 90's lied not with the films but rather with distribution with so many films going direct to video. Even if a film got a theatrical release it was so ridiculously limited it might as well have gone DTV anyway so a lot of films probably lost a good portion of their potential audience, those that didn't spent a lot of time in video stores constantly hunting for something new or read the genre rags, because of that.

American horror in particular seems to get a bad rap and I've always felt that it was mostly because of people thinking back to a post-Scream (1996) ecology were seemingly every new horror film was a Kevin Williamson penned meta knock-off starring all the hot teeny boopers of the day which is totally understandable but its important to note that prior to Scream, there were hardly any bandwagons to hop on in horror since the 80's had ended so a lot of the American product from the late 80's/early to mid 90's was pretty original. Now I have no clue what you've seen or not seen so you very well have seen every one of these films but these are some from your requested decades that immediately spring to mind. Also, you said "early 90's" so 1995 was my cut off year:

Gothic (Ken Russell, 1986)
White of the Eye (Donald Cammell, 1987)
The Lair of the White Worm (Ken Russell, 1988)
Deadly Dreams (Kristine Peterson, 1988)
Dr. Caligari (Stephen Sayadian, 1989)
Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1989)
The Guardian (William Friedkin, 1990)
Subspecies I-III (Ted Nicolaou, 1991-1993) *The 4th film in the series from 1998 is really good too.
The Borrower (John McNaughton, 1991)
Dust Devil (Richard Stanley, 1992)
Lower Level (Kristine Peterson, 1992) *More of a thriller but there are heavy psych-horror elements to be found.
Body Snatchers (Abel Ferrara, 1993)
Return of the Living Dead 3 (Brian Yuzna, 1993)
Night Terrors (Tobe Hooper, 1993)
In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter, 1994)
Castle Freak (Stuart Gordon, 1995)
The Addiction (Abel Ferrara, 1995)
Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Ernest R. Dickerson, 1995)
The Prophecy (Gregory Widen, 1995)

Europe was still delivering quality product in the late 80's going into the 90's thanks to the arrive of new auteurs like Jörg Buttgereit who was causing a ruckus in Germany with Nekromantik (1987), Der Todesking (1990), Nekromantik 2 (1991) and Schramm (1993).

Italian horror had new life breathed into it with new blood like Gianfranco Giagni's The Spider Labyrinth (1988) and Michele Soavi's Stage Fright (1987), The Church (1989), The Sect (1991) and Cemetery Man (1994).

The old Italian guard was still going strong as well with Dario Argento delivering one of his finest films in Opera (1987), Ruggero Deodato's supremely off the wall killer telephone romp Dial: Help (1988) and his erotic psych thriller The Washing Machine (1993). Giallo master Sergio Martino had the berserk action/horror hybrid American Tiger (1990), one of the oddest films you’ll ever see with its combination of rickshaw pulling, conspiracy, witchcraft and demonic TV preachers. Umberto Lenzi's last horror film to date, Black Demons (1991) is a really cool take on zombies mixed in with voodoo and possession and Lucio Fulci, who's post-New York Ripper (1982) output is often put down released the patchwork gorefest Cat in the Brain (1990) which pre-dated Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994), another self-reflexive film featuring a director haunted by his past work by 4 years. Fulci’s final film Door into Silence (1991) is also an effective low-key little chiller that wound up becoming eerily prophetic given its subject matter.

Spanish horror maestro José Ramón Larraz made three solid films around this time, Rest in Pieces (1987), Edge of the Axe (1988) and Deadly Manor (1990). While tailored for the American video market, all three feature several quirks unique to Euro horror making them stand out in their respective subgenres.

That’s not even mentioning the plethora of Asian stuff that came out around the same time!

I will look into some of it. I have been using amazon for awile and if I like a movie or cd the site helps me find stuff that interests me. I have a bunch of gift cards. Recently got Night of The Living Dead 1990 version, I let an old buddy of mine borrow it awile back and he ended up moving down south. So I had to buy it again.

711G33EH8AL.gif

I picked up Jackie Brown earlier. Great movie.

Jackie-Brown-DVD-cover.jpg

Is that the coloured version of Night Of The Living Dead?

Yeah, 1990 version remake. George A. Romero originally did the movie in 1968 in black and white and then redid the movie years later. I prefere the 90's version. Out of zombie flicks I have watched it is my favorite. There's a low budget zombie movie from 89 called The Dead Next Door that I highly recommend if you have never seen it.