The Official Movie Thread

SS is right it's a different film the creatures in The Caravan Of Courage are far superior to anything that appeared in Star Wars, the giant Gorax scared the shit out of me as a kid and I saw a shitload of horrors from a very early age. Even now it's fucking impressive.

Reactions: CiG
I really liked it. It repeated patterns from ANH, but with new twists. Everyone has their own hero's journey. Now some of the older characters have transitioned into a latter stage in the journey while new characters are beginning the journey. There was one plot point that really bored and annoyed me for feeling way to perfunctory, but otherwise I found it very engaging

Where was it stated that she was trained as a child? I wasn't paying 100% attention, must have missed that. Because I was perturbed by how quickly she became powerful also

*spoilers* and all that jazz

I really liked it. It repeated patterns from ANH, but with new twists. Everyone has their own hero's journey. Now some of the older characters have transitioned into a latter stage in the journey while new characters are beginning the journey. There was one plot point that really bored and annoyed me for feeling way to perfunctory, but otherwise I found it very engaging

What plot point did you not enjoy?

I think those people missed the whole point of the movie. She was trained as a child. Hence, The Force AWAKENS.
It wasn't explicitly stated, but it can be inferred from the vision scene.
That's amazing that you think this is the point of the movie, because there probably isn't one. Outside of "Hey, we destroy planets on an hourly basis and look who the bad and good guys are that we'll see come to a conclusion 2 movies from now!"

But even if you think this is true, because I think she's the kid of Luke and was at his little Jedi indoctrination camp, she was abandoned super young, like at age 5 or something. Kylo Ren was at the same jedi academy thing and even went on to whatever the Ren school is and has since been the most evilest dude in the universe until then. He barely won the fight against angry black man and loses against Luke in female form in the first movie. How can you say she isn't too powerful already? It took Luke 3 movies to get where he was and tons of training, but nope, Rae the wonderous female is already there because she's a woman?

There really isn't a minority thing in the movie, which is kind of funny since you can tell the production company wanted equal male and female representation in all aspects. Which doesn't bother you, just makes you laugh at how timid everyone is at not being PC.

But the scenarios surrounding Rey as a woman is kind of annoying and tries to say "I'm a strong independent woman!" thing all the time. It starts in the beginning and it kind of never ends, until someone has to pick up incapacitated black man and Rey has to get the nice Wookie to carry him, because she ain't so independent!

It just seems that the writers didn't leave a lot of interest in a 2nd or a 3rd installment, it feels like it could end right here and we could start an entirely new saga or direction. Will Rey train all kinds of new Jedi and stop the evil darkness!? Will Kylo Ren really stay evil?! Who is Snoke and why does he require a giant hologram?

Tune in next time on for Dragonball Z!

Reactions: Matt
The Serpent and The Rainbow, I'm pretty sure that's the voodoo drug one and it's been years since I've seen it. From memory I liked that one and I might try and watch it again soon.
Yeah that's the one. I've been meaning to check out Wade Davis' book the film was adapted from because the origins of the story are incredibly creepy. "Don't let them bury me... I'm not dead!"

I'm pretty confident that it was a flashback. It makes more sense in the context of the exposition that Ren had killed off Luke's young jedis.

How can you say it was entirely a flashback when Ren and Rey met in the same forest just a tad bit later? It clearly delved into both worlds, it was some sort of force premonition or whatever.

This still doesn't justify her abilities with the force and blaster shooting and lightsaber-ness. It would have made sense if she jerry-rigged the light saber to her staff thing and was good with that, but Star Wars is not a franchise that employs logical thinking imo :)

Yeah that's the one. I've been meaning to check out Wade Davis' book the film was adapted from because the origins of the story are incredibly creepy. "Don't let them bury me... I'm not dead!"

Isn't that Pullman's last line? Good flick of ol Craven though. Have you seen Spoorloos? (Euro version of The Vanishing that we stole and made slightly worse)

***SPOLIERS***
*spoilers* and all that jazz

What plot point did you not enjoy?

The Death Star 3.0. It was so perfunctory and there was never any question that they were gonna blow it up.

That's amazing that you think this is the point of the movie, because there probably isn't one. Outside of "Hey, we destroy planets on an hourly basis and look who the bad and good guys are that we'll see come to a conclusion 2 movies from now!"

But even if you think this is true, because I think she's the kid of Luke and was at his little Jedi indoctrination camp, she was abandoned super young, like at age 5 or something. Kylo Ren was at the same jedi academy thing and even went on to whatever the Ren school is and has since been the most evilest dude in the universe until then. He barely won the fight against angry black man and loses against Luke in female form in the first movie. How can you say she isn't too powerful already? It took Luke 3 movies to get where he was and tons of training, but nope, Rae the wonderous female is already there because she's a woman?

There really isn't a minority thing in the movie, which is kind of funny since you can tell the production company wanted equal male and female representation in all aspects. Which doesn't bother you, just makes you laugh at how timid everyone is at not being PC.

But the scenarios surrounding Rey as a woman is kind of annoying and tries to say "I'm a strong independent woman!" thing all the time. It starts in the beginning and it kind of never ends, until someone has to pick up incapacitated black man and Rey has to get the nice Wookie to carry him, because she ain't so independent!

It just seems that the writers didn't leave a lot of interest in a 2nd or a 3rd installment, it feels like it could end right here and we could start an entirely new saga or direction. Will Rey train all kinds of new Jedi and stop the evil darkness!? Will Kylo Ren really stay evil?! Who is Snoke and why does he require a giant hologram?

Tune in next time on for Dragonball Z!

The gender and race stuff only bothers you because you're a misogynistic bigot. Who cares that Finn is black? This movie doesn't have anything to do with race. Every other lead character is white, so you're crying sounds extremely racist and stupid. And Rey's extreme independence is totally logical for an orphan living alone a planet where she has to live off find scraps for to survive. It would have worked just as well if she were a man. She just happens to be a women. For a weak-minded bigot, it's probably intimidating to see a woman have power, even in a sci fi movie. For the rest of the world, it's just a great character.

As for why does Kilo Ren end up "losing" the fight? First of all, he beats Finn and the fight with Rey was more of a draw, perhaps a slight edge to Rey.

Second of all, he's already been shot by Chewie, so he's not 100%. Third, we know his training isn't complete. Fourth, we know his greatest fear is not being as powerful as Vader. It seemed to me that he was heavily affected by his fear, which hurt his performance. Even in ESB the only reason Luke can hold his own with Vader is because he can control his fear. Rey is totally composed in the fight, especially as it movies on, while Kilo Ren is not. I found it to make perfect sense within the logic of the movie.

How can you say it was entirely a flashback when Ren and Rey met in the same forest just a tad bit later? It clearly delved into both worlds, it was some sort of force premonition or whatever.

This still doesn't justify her abilities with the force and blaster shooting and lightsaber-ness. It would have made sense if she jerry-rigged the light saber to her staff thing and was good with that, but Star Wars is not a franchise that employs logical thinking imo :)

Does it show the forest? I've only seen it once, so I definitely haven't processed everything yet.

As for the lightsaber, she could have been trained as a child. Or, as you said, she's already good with that staff thing, so it's not a dramatic extension of skills she already had.