The Official Movie Thread

As a huge fan of Ray Harryhausen stop motion classics, Jason and the Argonauts and especially the Sinbad movies I thought it was about time I scored a DVD of the original Jack The Giant Killer also bought Arabian Nights(Universal Cinema Classics), Sinbad The Sailor, Captain Sinbad, Subspecies The Complete Chronicles, Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Castle Freak and a few others.

Finally watched Captain Phillips. Powerful fucking movie, I hear that ethiopian mofo got nominated for something and it was well deserved.

I had no idea until then that cargo carriers couldn't hold weapons. Pretty retarded.

image.png

As a huge fan of Ray Harryhausen stop motion classics, Jason and the Argonauts and especially the Sinbad movies I thought it was about time I scored a DVD of the original Jack The Giant Killer also bought Arabian Nights(Universal Cinema Classics), Sinbad The Sailor, Captain Sinbad, Subspecies The Complete Chronicles, Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Castle Freak and a few others.
The Subspecies series is great. Radu is one of the more unique screen vampires. Certainly of the best looking and Anders Hove owns that role. Those films really benefitted from location shooting. Fantastic atmosphere achieved on a fairly low budget. Pretty different from other Full Moon product too. Vampire Journals is in that set too right? I still haven't seen that one but I'm aware of the connection (no shit, why would be included in the set I can hear you saying).

Castle Freak is probably my favorite Full Moon film and easily my favorite Stuart Gordon/Jeffery Combs/Barbara Crampton film. I love Re-Animator and From Beyond (Crampton in that leather outfit, goddamn!) but he was wise to drop the humorous aspects those films contained with Castle Freak. That film works on so many levels. As a horror film it knocks it out of the park for obvious reasons but there's some really heavy and incredibly well done family drama going on and its a testament to how great Combs and Crampton are. Some of their best work. And the titular Freak in full view is stunning. Amazing, amazing make-up work. It always irked me that they put his face on the DVD cover. While the full reveal in the film is no less striking it still seems like less a surprise. Its a minor complaint though.

Reactions: JontRevolting
Yes 'Vampire Journals' is in that set a great deal for only $12 Australian. Those Full Moon films are great!
I also scored 'Icons Of Adventure Collection(The Pirates Of Blood River/ The Devil Ship Pirates/ The Stranglers Of Bombay/ The Terror Of The Tongs) I'm looking forward to checking out these Hammer 'Adventure' films especially 'The Stranglers Of Bombay'.
@Oblivious Maximus

Last edited:
hmmm i've never seen that. i love RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND too.
You should appreciate Castle Freak then. Its a bit different than Re-Animator and From Beyond. Definitely darker and nastier but its still unmistakably Gordon behind the camera. Very dependable director. I haven't seen all his stuff but what I have has ranged from solid to excellent. Dolls is great fun, Dagon is the most underappreciated of his takes on Lovecraft and his Dreams in the Witch House episode from the first season of Showtime's Masters of Horror was one of the best the series had to offer along with Miike's Imprint and Argento's Jenifer and Pelts.

I'm gonna save a couple of hits of acid especially for Troll 2.
With out without the acid you'll be feeling a bit strange.

Reactions: CiG