The Official Movie Thread

I enjoyed Apocalypto, I thought it was a good movie; but Fury Road blows it out of the fucking water.

Fury Road is just badass, and I'm not only talking about Furiosa. Max is a badass fucking character. There's metal, machines, and mad fucking people, and it's just glorious. That's all there is too it.

Not to mention it had some killer cinematography and choreography.

i prefer FURY ROAD, but i think APOCALYPTO is pretty damned badass.

i love foreign movies featuring young european sluts getting naked

check out STRANGER BY THE LAKE. as long as you don't mind all of the young naked european sluts being hairy gay dudes, you'll love it.

Reactions: arg
It's my generic comment when I think people don't know what they're talking about... :D

I think Tom Hardy's Max was fucking awesome. But I think Tom Hardy is awesome, so that might influence my opinion. I dig the minimalist dialogue and grunts.

Furthermore, he fucking took out the Bullet Farmer and all his henchmen single-handedly. I don't really understand how he's boring and not badass.

To be honest, I prefer Mel's Max to Tom's but saying that Max is weak is pretty ridiculous given all the death-defying crap he pulls in Fury Road.

It's my generic comment when I think people don't know what they're talking about... :D

We can go into this, quite deep. I read the Mad Max comic books and worship the original films, so shove your golf joke Caddyshack. ;)

I'm no big fan of Tom Hardy, but I hadn't heard of him before Fury Road so I don't think it changed my opinions much on him, if anything Fury Road tainted my future views on him. :lol:

Though his Bane was fucking killer. Loved it.

Anyway, I thought Tom Hardy's Max was one dimensional in the extreme. Mel's Max had much more character, he even smiled on occasion. Hardy was just another typical emotionless brute type, muscular and brooding. For me it was a snoozefest compared to Mel with his dark humour and every-man appeal.

And as an extra fuck you to Tom Hardy, your Australian accent was GARBAGE.

I'm excited for the sequel though, I think Furiosa is taking even more of the limelight.

To be honest, I prefer Mel's Max to Tom's but saying that Max is weak is pretty ridiculous given all the death-defying crap he pulls in Fury Road.

Who said Max was weak?

We can go into this, quite deep. I read the Mad Max comic books and worship the original films, so shove your golf joke Caddyshack. ;)

Big Lebowski man!

Anyway, I thought Tom Hardy's Max was one dimensional in the extreme. Mel's Max had much more character, he even smiled on occasion. Hardy was just another typical emotionless brute type, muscular and brooding. For me it was a snoozefest compared to Mel with his dark humour and every-man appeal.

Well said. I get that.

And as an extra fuck you to Tom Hardy, your Australian accent was GARBAGE.

Have you seen this?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/30/tom-hardy-accents-locke-legend-bane-dark-knight

Fury Road isn't on here, but it seems to be a pattern with him...

I'm excited for the sequel though, I think Furiosa is taking even more of the limelight.

That would be cool. Charlize Theron rocks.

Reactions: CiG
Have you seen this?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/30/tom-hardy-accents-locke-legend-bane-dark-knight

Fury Road isn't on here, but it seems to be a pattern with him...

I have now, fucking LOL. He does seem especially crap with accents. Rather ironic that his best voice performance in my opinion was Bane, even though it was SO cartoonish.

That would be cool. Charlize Theron rocks.

Absolutely dude. Fuck men that are so cynical now that they can't appreciate great heroine characters. She was ridiculously amazing in Monster.

the only bit i remember feeling somewhat like contrived feminism was the part where she takes the shot for him.

that was the most glaring example.

It really wasn't, and the fragile little boy inside you knows it.

comeback game is weak, son

Not to mention it had some killer cinematography and choreography.

now this is so hard to agree with. the rapid cuts, the insane amount of close ups were so bad I cannot believe anyone would enjoy it let alone say it was a positive point in the film. The blatant women are just as strong as men if not stronger trope did not ruin the film, but the character of Max and whatever the hell the desert people were called definitely did. Furiosa's terrible and illogical character just put the icing on the cake. Apparently this Max was more like Thunderdome, which makes sense -- but i've never seen it.

I think Tom Hardy's Max was fucking awesome. But I think Tom Hardy is awesome, so that might influence my opinion. I dig the minimalist dialogue and grunts.

The consistency here with the mainstream feminist opinion : Tom Hardy is awesome and he's great to women! haha didn't think you were so parallel with that worldview

I was referring to @rms with that.

i didn't say that though

comeback game is weak, son

:rolleyes: Sure.

now this is so hard to agree with. the rapid cuts, the insane amount of close ups were so bad I cannot believe anyone would enjoy it let alone say it was a positive point in the film.

6WFjtDB.gif%20alt=

The blatant women are just as strong as men if not stronger trope did not ruin the film, but the character of Max and whatever the hell the desert people were called definitely did. Furiosa's terrible and illogical character just put the icing on the cake.

This just reaffirms my impression that you have stupid opinions on movies, haha.

The consistency here with the mainstream feminist opinion : Tom Hardy is awesome and he's great to women! haha didn't think you were so parallel with that worldview

I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

that gif almost has nothing to do with cinematography =/ and almost the entire film was CGI

This just reaffirms my impression that you have stupid opinions on movies, haha.

"Blade Runner is a good movie because it shaped opinions on future SciFi films" :loco:

I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/feminist-tom-hardy-quotes-masculinity/

dude sounds like such a beta skirt chasing male while never appearing in or even featuring a good film (heard good things about Bronson though, might watch it one of these days). don't get how he keeps getting gigs, quite honestly. best part of his career was banging the German in Bands of Brothers for 3.1 seconds

that gif almost has nothing to do with cinematography =/ and almost the entire film was CGI

Not really, and besides it still looks pretty good without the CGI. You should watch the behind-the-scenes.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/heres-what-mad-max-fury-road-looks-like-without-any-cgi/

Now, the producers have unlocked footage of the film bereft of any CGI enhancements. Oddly enough, it still looks like the same movie most of the time, which does two things: 1. it proves how unbelievable the stunts actually were and 2.) reveals how terrifying an experience it must have been to shoot. Good god.

"Blade Runner is a good movie because it shaped opinions on future SciFi films" :loco:

That's why it's an important movie. It's a good movie for other reasons.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/feminist-tom-hardy-quotes-masculinity/
dude sounds like such a beta skirt chasing male while never appearing in or even featuring a good film (heard good things about Bronson though, might watch it one of these days). don't get how he keeps getting gigs, quite honestly. best part of his career was banging the German in Bands of Brothers for 3.1 seconds

I never said that Fury Road was feminist--you did. I actually would say that it's not all that feminist, it's just a movie with women characters who happen to also be pretty nasty when doing battle.

As far as feminism in movies goes, Fury Road ranks pretty low on the list.

I'm well aware of Hardy's machismo personality. I can separate that from his work. I enjoy Roman Polanski's movies, but I don't condone child molestation.

Get better arguments.

No it wasn't. You should watch the behind-the-scenes.
maybe, not going to re-watch it. wasn't a movie for me in any way

That's why it's an important movie. It's a good movie for other reasons.

didn't make that distinction before tbh

Get better arguments.

it's not like you're interested in going through arguments.

I actually would say that it's not all that feminist, it's just a movie with women characters who happen to also be pretty nasty when doing battle.

that's the hilarious part. It's a stereotypical male action film but they replaced a male hero with an unrealistic and illogical female one. it's quite honestly a stupid film, and inconsistencies like this make it even more apparent

I can separate that from his work

I said most if not all of his work suck. you say you can separate his work from his persona. not talking about the same thing here, dude is overrated to hell

but you seem to equate academic feminism and mainstream feminism here, there's clearly a difference and the latest Mad Max clearly depicts the problems in the mainstream one

It's a movie about a post-apocalyptic future in which weird, mutated men have built a new mythology around automobiles and Viking legends... and you're complaining about Furiosa being illogical and unrealistic? Give me a fucking break dude.

If there's anyone who understands the difference between pop feminism and academic, it's me (sorry for tooting my horn, but I'm around this stuff constantly). The most feminist aspect of the movie was the women escaping from Immortan Joe, writing on his walls that "women are not property" and such. Now, if you think that was too forceful, then I assume you're okay with women being portrayed as property because, I don't know... it's more "realistic"?

As far as women kicking ass goes, so does Ellen Ripley. Are we complaining about the second Aliens movie shoving a feminist agenda because it has an unrealistic woman heroine?

It's a movie about a post-apocalyptic future in which weird, mutated men have built a new mythology around automobiles and Viking legends... and you're complaining about Furiosa being illogical and unrealistic? Give me a fucking break dude.

That Clarence feminism impairs your ability to read sometimes :)

The blatant women are just as strong as men if not stronger trope did not ruin the film, but the character of Max and whatever the hell the desert people were called definitely did.
it's quite honestly a stupid film, and inconsistencies like this make it even more apparent

If there's anyone who understands the difference between pop feminism and academic,
not reading closely. didn't say you didn't understand it, said you're equating the two. that was obviously the assertion when you claimed it wasn't a feminist-film in the last reply, that true(i.e. academic) feminism isn't apparent in the film. It is funny how fast you draw up the personal experience as a 'strength' to your argument, you aren't really a movie or music guy. You're a literary one, and I wouldn't be surprised if i've seen way more 'important' films than you ever will, but I wouldn't cite that as a reason to why my opinion is right or correct.

Now, if you think that was too forceful, then I assume you're okay with women being portrayed as property because, I don't know... it's more "realistic"?

there's nothing wrong with that line and if it was a film based around contextual accuracy, these women likely wouldn't even understand the idea of not being property. But, that's a tangent and not really relevant.

I would say that Furiosa as a character and her 'arc' is the most feminist, in that mainstream sense, because that character exemplifies what corrupts a lot of mainstream feminists. Her character even existing makes no sense let alone how 'good' she is at being a male-action-hero. (we see this a lot with Hillary Clinton -- women wouldn't start wars, they aren't aggressive!!!oneoneone11!)

As far as women kicking ass goes, so does Ellen Ripley. Are we complaining about the second Aliens movie shoving a feminist agenda because it has an unrealistic woman heroine?

I would love to see a list of what's unrealistic about Ripley in either of the first two Aliens films (haven't seen the third one in ages and the rest are garbage)

That Clarence feminism impairs your ability to read sometimes :)

not reading closely. didn't say you didn't understand it, said you're equating the two.

That amounts to the same thing.

that was obviously the assertion when you claimed it wasn't a feminist-film in the last reply, that true(i.e. academic) feminism isn't apparent in the film. It is funny how fast you draw up the personal experience as a 'strength' to your argument, you aren't really a movie or music guy. You're a literary one, and I wouldn't be surprised if i've seen way more 'important' films than you ever will, but I wouldn't cite that as a reason to why my opinion is right or correct.

I said if it has a feminist element it has to do with the women pursuing their individual liberty. That's about it, and that's about as pop feminist as it gets.

It's not a feminist film in the sense that, say, Hidden Figures is a feminist film, or Suffragette is a feminist film--and much more "pop feminist" films, at that.

I'm doubtful that you've seen more "important" films than I have (or that you even realized you were watching an important film, for that matter). As a field, film studies is affiliated with literary studies, and I've taken philosophy and film courses, film and literature courses, and even courses on directors like Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch. I'm not exactly out of the loop.

there's nothing wrong with that line and if it was a film based around contextual accuracy, these women likely wouldn't even understand the idea of not being property. But, that's a tangent and not really relevant.

Not really relevant? It's a line claiming that women aren't property. You want to discuss feminism in the movie, but that line isn't relevant?

I would say that Furiosa as a character and her 'arc' is the most feminist, in that mainstream sense, because that character exemplifies what corrupts a lot of mainstream feminists. Her character even existing makes no sense let alone how 'good' she is at being a male-action-hero. (we see this a lot with Hillary Clinton -- women wouldn't start wars, they aren't aggressive!!!oneoneone11!)

The entire point of the plot is that Furiosa couldn't do it on her own without Max. Doesn't seem like the most empowering feminist plotline...

As to the sense of her character, none of the characters existing makes much sense. Once again, you've managed to make a mountain out of a molehill. Congratulations.

I would love to see a list of what's unrealistic about Ripley in either of the first two Aliens films (haven't seen the third one in ages and the rest are garbage)

For starters, that she manages to hang on to a metal rung while a massive alien is clinging to her foot and she's evacuating a fucking airlock. She must have super strength or something...

That amounts to the same thing.

sorry that you are unable to separate the two?

Hidden Figures is a feminist film

that's probably because it's a racial film as much if not more than a feminist one

I'm doubtful that you've seen more "important" films than I have (or that you even realized you were watching an important film, for that matter). As a field, film studies is affiliated with literary studies, and I've taken philosophy and film courses, film and literature courses, and even courses on directors like Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch. I'm not exactly out of the loop.

:lol: the lengths you'll go to not admit you are out of your element. I guess I could never amount to understanding i'm watching an important film, oh jesus :lol: you're so ridiculous. glad that silver spoon built that pedestal for you.

Not really relevant? It's a line claiming that women aren't property. You want to discuss feminism in the movie, but that line isn't relevant?

are you purposefully trying to not read? the relevance is talking about whether or not the women would even understand that women cannot be property since it does not exist, can't exist nor does that society offer itself to free expression of ideas.
these women likely wouldn't even understand the idea of not being property. But, that's a tangent and not really relevant.

The entire point of the plot is that Furiosa couldn't do it on her own without Max. Doesn't seem like the most empowering feminist plotline...

can you really not understand that this is why it's a bad film? because it's being portrayed as this feminist action-film of the 21st century? There are tons of holes in the plot and characters. this is why it is a bad movie!

As to the sense of her character, none of the characters existing makes much sense. Once again, you've managed to make a mountain out of a molehill. Congratulations.

so none of the characters make sense. glad you agree

For starters, that she manages to hang on to a metal rung while a massive alien is clinging to her foot and she's evacuating a fucking airlock. She must have super strength or something...

OK, it's dumb but what does it have to do with gender/sex? It's not like 10 men flew off but 'ol Ripley held on for dear life :lol:

Ripley is a pretty outstanding character, and that's why she has stood the test of time and Alien is one of the great films of the last 40 or so years.