The Official Movie Thread

kind of unfair to criticise a movie with a consciously cyclic structure as 'going nowhere', it'd be like saying the same about memento or something.

haven't seen the ladykillers in its entirety, saw a bit and it seemed like the kind of coens slapstick mode i don't really go for.

well Memento goes nowhere (nowhere isn't a good description for the plot imo, the whole moving is going somewhere in several storylines at one time)for a reason..llewyn davis, from memory, was just following the plight of a loser, per se. I don't think anything was gained by following his story

I haven't seen Llewyn Davis yet, so I can't comment; but Blood Simple is a Coen sleeper hit. I rarely see it mentioned, but it's one of their strongest efforts.

The Coens can't take writing credit for No Country, but it just fits so well with their general theme of bad fucking luck (symbolized in the narrative by Chigurh's coin, which could either be fate or chance--who knows). Films like Fargo, No Country, and Blood Simple depict the dark side of happenstance, while a film like The Big Lebowski makes light of it. All are pretty brilliant, in my opinion.

When I have more time (or at east calm down) I'll have to take a look back at this thread for movie recs.

However,two days ago I finally got around to watching American Honey (it's a 2h43m movie) and it was definitely one of the best films I've seen in a very very long time. First off, the shots are just well done. Very beautiful shots of America in general, and all in all the movie was just soo... organic feeling. It's really long and sometimes treads in dangerous territory, but never completely goes off the edge. I really enjoyed it. It ends sort of opened, but it really does leave itself open for interpretation, relatability (is that a word?), etc. Really good movie.

Some movie related things I found interesting, perhaps some of you will too:

eBay Dig #13: A Nightmare on Elm Street!
Nobody cares about any recent Best Picture Oscar winners
AMAZON CRACKS DOWN WITH PRIME CONTENT RESTRICTIONS
The Last Video Chain: The Inside Story Of Family Video And Its $400 Million Owner

For Freddy fanatics like myself, some of the prices those things in the first link sold for are beyond nuts. I actually used to have one of those video store standees, I believe it was for the fifth film. Regrettably it got tossed some years back. The prices for the original shirts are insane too. I know I've got an original Dream Child promotional shirt lying around here somewhere. Shudder to think what condition its in though.

The Amazon one is really unfortunate and is especially distressing for independent filmmakers for which streaming seems to be the go-to option these days. Ultimately, I think they're only shooting themselves in the foot.

The Family Video one sort of blows my mind given how scares honest to goodness brick and mortar video shops are these days but it makes me smile knowing such establishments are still operating and can stay afloat.

cool topic, what do you guys have as the most recent top-tier amazing winner of Best picture?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

07 - No Country? (there will be blood that year as well, huge!)
99 - American Beauty (but been awhile since I rewatched it)
91 - SIlence of the Lambs
78 - Deer Hunter
75 - Cuckoo's Nest
73 - The Sting

STing, Silence, Deer Hunter and No Country are pretty even for me...think I might go with No Country out of all those

spotlight: well acted, otherwise generic. fury road obvs should've won.

birdman: grouchy old man cinema, good performances tho. grand budapest by a mile.

12 years a slave: inevitably too compromised. wolf of wall street deserved it.

argo: utterly forgettable and shitty. i'd give it to django.

the artist: i kinda like it but it's a third rate modern times. tree of life should've won.

the hurt locker: quite intoxicating but badly written, like most bigelow. again i'd give it to tarantino.

slumdog millionaire: vile. worst selection of nominees in recent memory, and this was the worst of the lot.

no country for old men: i'm not fond of movies where the subtext is barely buried, but the filmmaking is great and i love its worldview. i'd take there will be blood over it all day though.

the departed: pretty fun from what i remember, kinda empty but fun. i'm fine with this or iwo jima getting it.

crash: paul haggis is garbage. not fond of any nominees but this was the worst

million dollar baby: paul haggis is garbage. the aviator, for me.

return of the king: i quite like LOTR these days but just end already jesus fucking christ. give it to lost in translation i guess.

gladiator: eh, dumb fun

american beauty: gross. i haven't seen the insider but it's gotta be the best one here.

shakespeare in love: lol. yeah of course this is better than the thin red line you cunts.

titanic: fart. la confidential pls.

braveheart: not bad. i'd give it to babe.

forrest gump: used to hate, needs rewatch though, i've read stuff that makes me think i misread it when i was younger. obvs i'd go pulp fiction tho

schindler's list: spielberg is too populist for me but an undeniably good filmmaker

unforgiven: fuck yeah. again a bit too obvious in expressing theme, but whatever i love it.

silence of the lambs: very good from what i remember, needs rewatch

platoon: not great but well performed with some good action scenes.

amadeus: super entertaining, empty. glad it beat the killing fields which is trash.

the deer hunter: laughably overcooked metaphors aside, it's gorgeous filmmaking.

rocky: good stuff, ahead of taxi driver though?

cuckoo's nest: great selection. all five of these films are better than almost all of the winners since then.

the godfather 2: sure, it's great. would've been fine with the conversation or chinatown.

the godfather: undeniable.

the french connection: it's good but it's no clockwork orange.

lawrence of arabia: classic.

the apartment: good movie.

on the waterfront: nah.

casablanca: i like it. haven't seen most of the other choices.

rebecca: classic.

all quiet on the western front: well deserved.

--------------

my top 5 winners would probs be the two godfathers, lawrence of arabia (based on distant memory), rebecca and unforgiven. quite a lot of the earlier ones i haven't seen though. i have a feeling how green was my valley might make the list as i love john ford.

to answer your question, i guess the last amazing top tier winner would be the godfather part 2 for me. still can't believe apocalypse now didn't win lol

Last edited:
Rebecca is astonishingly good but the Best Picture award technically went to David O. Selznick rather than Hitchcock because for whatever reason they felt the producer deserved it more than the director.

As for recent "amazing" Best Picture wins? If you count 1991 and '92 a "recent" then Silence of the Lambs and Unforgiven, absolutely. Going back further than that, I'd go with, The Lost Weekend, The French Connection and Annie Hall.

Last edited:
had Dr Strangelove film class this week and I posed the idea of Kubrick and his 'development' of war films, never seen Paths of Glory but the moderators said it was anti-war, and I sugged that Strangelove is a critique and not really anti-war and FMJ definitely isn't and seemed to get a high majority brush back that Strangelove was indeed anti-war

what do you guys think? I asked my prof afterwards and she said it was a critique...and I was like uhh yah, but I can critique anything and not be anti-it --- so I think I may have an idiot for a prof

Reactions: CiG
This is basically an agreement, fyi. You can't ascribe positions/opinions to films. That is, you can locate them within the text, but you can't say that a film is "pro-x" or "anti-y."

In order to describe a text as anti-something you have to ascribe a position to it, and I would be very hesitant to ascribe a position, especially a political one, to any fictional work. Your professor said it was a "critique" because she probably doesn't want to assume the film itself has an opinion. Saying something isn't anti-war suggests the impression that it's pro-war. Your professor avoided that distinction, which I think was smart.

Kubrick probably had an opinion, but I don't think you can say a work fiction has an opinion. I think you can definitely say that Dr. Strangelove doesn't condone war, though.