The Official Movie Thread

that is exceptionally accurate lol

i think quick cuts between the action and animals became passé and obvious by about the '30s and it always makes my eyes roll now, even when it's well done.

i'll be seeing logan tomorrow.

it definitely applies to BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW and THE GUEST (you should really watch the former if you haven't already, there's a reference toward the end that's tailor made for you ha, and it's just an all-round pretty badass '80s pastiche). THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL was very '80s iirc but i can't remember how much synth was involved. NIGHTCRAWLER and various refn and noe stuff if we start stretching the definition of horror a bit.

Reactions: CiG
ah yeah i meant to include IT FOLLOWS.

i mean, hipsters are all about retro '80s shit across all mediums, it's pretty much the in thing. some of the stuff i mentioned doesn't really fit with that though granted.

a BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW trailer to whet the appetite btw, recommended to @Oblivious Maximus too if you haven't seen it:

true dat, but they also pride themselves on being eclectic. i'd say 'hipster horror' is exactly like 'hipster metal' in that it's more like the horror elements are just superficially sprinkled over the top of exactly the kind of shit you'd find at sundance. retro '80s stuff is definitely trendy among those crowds though, i mean pitchfork is filled to the brim with music that riffs on '80s tropes, usually in a dispassionate/ironic way or w/e but still.

Dropping by to say that I highly recommend Free Fire. It comes out officially later this month but I saw an advanced screening just this week. Fucking hilarious action/gangster film from Ben Wheatley, the guy behind Kill List, Field in England etc. Loads of great actors in there but Sharlto Copley really stood out as the scumbag arms dealer.

Wheatley and Sam Riley were in attendance and had a Q&A afterwards. He did the same thing for High Rise last year and he's a really funny and interesting guy.

Retro traditional metal is trendy among hipsters? I thought they were all about Burzum and Deafheaven... I must just be way out of touch!

Deafheaven for sure. Not sure about Burzum, but then that could be that Burzum is a mainstay for legit metalheads as well...

Some of the hipsters I know are actually into Wolfmother and The Sword. Although I think The Sword's Warp Riders is fucking awesome, so... but anyway, definitely a retro vibe there.

Dropping by to say that I highly recommend Free Fire. It comes out officially later this month but I saw an advanced screening just this week. Fucking hilarious action/gangster film from Ben Wheatley, the guy behind Kill List, Field in England etc. Loads of great actors in there but Sharlto Copley really stood out as the scumbag arms dealer.

Wheatley and Sam Riley were in attendance and had a Q&A afterwards. He did the same thing for High Rise last year and he's a really funny and interesting guy.

nice! really looking forward to that.

LOGAN isn't perfect but it's probably my personal favourite comic book movie since THE DARK KNIGHT, and favourite marvel movie in general. take from that what you will.

I think hipsters like it because Varg is a ridiculous cult figure and there are church burnings and murder connected to the band.
burzum.jpg

New Rose Hotel
(Abel Ferrara, 1998) - Ferrara goes cyberpunk with this adaptation of William Gibson's short story. Although nowhere near as fractured as Ferrara's previous film, the brilliant and hyper-delirious The Blackout (1997), a good portion of this plays out like a fever dream after taking one to many Percocet's (this is a good thing of course), particularly during the final third where Ferrara goes into full-tilt Lynch-esque territory with fancy edits and flashbacks to earlier scenes with slightly tweaked dialogue so everything isn't exactly as it was before. Interestingly, the actual sci-fi elements are used fleetingly, thus rendering bits of the film rather vague but nevertheless involving thanks to the three main players, the amazing ensemble trio of Christopher Walken, Willem Dafoe and an almost unbearably hot Asia Argento. The highly stylized lighting and direction and a brisk electronic based score courtesy of Schoolly D make this a very relaxing watch if that makes any sense, although the question of just who was this made for does arise as its pretty much the antithesis of mass-appeal. Nobody approaches genre quite like Ferrara.

This Untold Horror series sounds mighty cool, about horror films that never made it out of developmental hell.

kinda reminds me of
81WDqynvveL._SX342_.jpg
Oh Van Bebber. Amazing character, that one. Ever hear his drunken phone messages he left to the head of Synapse Films because he was so pissed about their transfer of Deadbeat at Dawn? Funny as all fuck.

Some shit news, TCM host Robert Osborne has died.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ro...orian-dies-at-84/ar-AAnU43c?OCID=ansmsnnews11

A walking encyclopedia the man was. His TCM bookends were great. During bouts of channel surfing if I'd come across one of his intro's I'd usually stick with it even if I had no intention of watching the ensuing film. He had a way of making any factoid about any movie interesting.

LOGAN isn't perfect but it's probably my personal favourite comic book movie since THE DARK KNIGHT, and favourite marvel movie in general. take from that what you will.

I haven't seen Logan but as far as Batman goes, I think the animated movies are generally much better than the live action ones. Check out Under the Red Hood and Year One if you haven't.