The Official Movie Thread

Just discovered this semi-new Hitchcock centric podcast appropriately called HitchPod hosted by two Aussies. What's cool is that one of the hosts is well versed in her Hitch while her partner is seeing the films for the first time which makes for interesting conversation no matter how many times you've heard a certain film discussed. They pick the films at random and so far have covered some of Hitchcock's super early, lesser talked about titles like Easy Virtue, Juno and the Paycock and The Skin Game. Give it a check out.

Reactions: CiG
fury.jpg

Finally got around to watching The Fury.

I really like Brian De Palma as a director, even before he really hit his stride with Scarface and onwards he was doing good stuff, albeit more clumsily.

By no means a masterpiece or even a great film, I still can't decide whether I like The Fury more than Carrie, I also can't help but wish Brian had done a third film exploring ESP.

It has some really awesome effects though, Carrie was surpassed in that sense by The Fury at least.

Recently watched a couple oldschool favorites:

Avenging Force (1986)

avengingforce_betabox.jpg

Former agent fights an extreme right wing secret society. 80's actioner thats over the top in every way possible. Group that calls itself Pentangle hunts humans for sport. Stars the guy from the American Ninja movies. The villains wear masks and kill with certain weapons. Classic! Highly recommend if you like 80's action flicks. One of my all time favorites.10/10

avengingforce_frame02-970x727.jpg

and

Death Machines (1976)

full.deathmachines-1sh-2243-682x1024.jpg

Cheesy martial arts flick about brain washed unstoppable assassins. Starts out strong, holds pretty good through out the middle and completely loses steam by the end. Terrible but enjoyable movie. 7/10

14513_1.jpg

Last edited:
Avenging Force (1986)

avengingforce_betabox.jpg

Former agent fights an extreme right wing secret society. 80's actioner thats over the top in every way possible. Group that calls itself Pentangle hunts humans for sport. Stars the guy from the American Ninja movies. The villains wear masks and kill with certain weapons. Classic! Highly recommend if you like 80's action flicks. One of my all time favorites.10/10

avengingforce_frame02-970x727.jpg

undefined

Oh, this is that film that was intended to be the sequel to Invasion U.S.A.
I've never seen it, it looks and sounds awesome though and funnily enough both main characters ended up sharing the same name, even though the sequel concept was scrapped.

Have you seen Invasion U.S.A. by the way? Amusing that this one has extreme right-wing antagonists and Invasion U.S.A. has extreme left-wing antagonists.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Oh, this is that film that was intended to be the sequel to Invasion U.S.A.
I've never seen it, it looks and sounds awesome though and funnily enough both main characters ended up sharing the same name, even though the sequel concept was scrapped.

Have you seen Invasion U.S.A. by the way? Amusing that this one has extreme right-wing antagonists and Invasion U.S.A. has extreme left-wing antagonists.
Yes sir. Chuck Norris is my idol. Love all the big name and lesser known (ex. Michael Dudikoff) action stars from the 80's. This was planned as a sequel, if anything it would be more of a prequel. But it pretty much just ended up being another story about Matt Hunter, regardless of the timeline in his life......if that makes any sense? But if you like Invasion U.S.A. or 80's action flicks, especially of the Canon films variety, then you need to see Avenging Force. :fu:

Yes sir. Chuck Norris is my idol. Love all the big name and lesser known (ex. Michael Dudikoff) action stars from the 80's. This was planned as a sequel, if anything it would be more of a prequel. But it pretty much just ended up being another story about Matt Hunter, regardless of the timeline in his life......if that makes any sense? But if you like Invasion U.S.A. or 80's action flicks, especially of the Canon films variety, then you need to see Avenging Force. :fu:

Oh okay, sort of like the Chris character in the Magnificent Seven films?

Have you actually seen every single Chuck Norris film?

I have barely seen half of his films. :lol:
So far I've seen:
  • The Octagon
  • Missing in Action
  • Code of Silence
  • Invasion U.S.A.
  • The Delta Force
  • Missing in Action
Then I have a few I haven't watched yet, like The Delta Force 2, Hero and the Terror and Good Guys Wear Black.

Last edited:
I really like Brian De Palma as a director, even before he really hit his stride with Scarface and onwards he was doing good stuff, albeit more clumsily.
I think he hit his stride at least a decade before Scarface. I mean, Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise, Carrie, Dressed to Kill... not exactly minor works. I actually think he got really inconsistent after Body Double. Some of the stuff that came after I can't be bothered to care about while others like Raising Cain, Femme Fatale and The Black Dahlia are great. I always forget he did Carlito's Way too.

I think he hit his stride at least a decade before Scarface. I mean, Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise, Carrie, Dressed to Kill... not exactly minor works. I actually think he got really inconsistent after Body Double. Some of the stuff that came after I can't be bothered to care about while others like Raising Cain, Femme Fatale and The Black Dahlia are great. I always forget he did Carlito's Way too.

That's probably fair, I forgot about some of the flops he made after The Untouchables.

Rather than stride I think what I really meant to say was that his concepts started to come out more complete, whereas his earlier 1970's films had great ideas but they often felt very loose or clumsy, but thinking back they also benefit from being made in the 1970's which has a certain grit and charm compared with the late 1980's and 1990's.

If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Rather than stride I think what I really meant to say was that his concepts started to come out more complete, whereas his earlier 1970's films had great ideas but they often felt very loose or clumsy, but thinking back they also benefit from being made in the 1970's which has a certain grit and charm compared with the late 1980's and 1990's.

If that makes any sense whatsoever.
Yeah that makes sense. One of the reasons I neglected to mention Obsession among the other titles is I've always felt that it was a bit too derivative of Vertigo for its own good whereas in Dressed to Kill and Body Double he was able to channel the Hitchcock influence but at the same time tell an original story of his own.

Yeah that makes sense. One of the reasons I neglected to mention Obsession among the other titles is I've always felt that it was a bit too derivative of Vertigo for its own good whereas in Dressed to Kill and Body Double he was able to channel the Hitchcock influence but at the same time tell an original story of his own.

Any idea why The Fury flopped while Carrie did much better, even though the former is essentially Carrie 2.0?

Any idea why The Fury flopped while Carrie did much better, even though the former is essentially Carrie 2.0?
Because people are retards.

In all seriousness, was it really a flop? No idea about how it did finically but the reviews I've read have been mostly positive. Surely there were those who bemoaned that he was rehashing himself but there's always those types.

Unrelated, but you may be interested in this super mega deluxe edition of Beyond the Darkness: https://severin-films.com/shop/beyond-the-darkness-bluray/

Iris in HD. Be still my beating heart.

Last edited:
Iris in HD. Be still my beating heart.

:oops:

In all seriousness, was it really a flop? No idea about how it did finically but the reviews I've read have been mostly positive. Surely there were those who bemoaned that he was rehashing himself but there's always those types.

Oh I was strictly referring to its financial situation which I read somewhere was not good. On a side note I loved that final gore explosion scene!

I've been getting into Mario Bava a lot lately, just buying whatever I can find.