The Official Movie Thread

Ugh, Sicario is so much better than Hannibal. The only out here is if you confused Julianne Moore with Jodie Foster (and Hannibal with its prequel).

And as far as climax goes, it was the scene when BDT paid a visit to the crime lord's house. Had nothing to do with Emily Blunt's character.

I watched Entertainment last night. Being a fan of Neil Hamburger/Greg Turkington (and having seen Neil H. live before), I was interested in seeing this movie. For those of you familiar with "Tim & Eric", Tim Heidecker is one of the writers of the movie. It was a decent movie, and I clearly saw what they were trying to do with the film. Having the movie (and gigs) take place in California's Central Valley added to the overall hopeless and absurd atmosphere of the film. It was decent, but I would really only recommend it to those who think they would enjoy it

I watched Entertainment last night. Being a fan of Neil Hamburger/Greg Turkington (and having seen Neil H. live before), I was interested in seeing this movie. For those of you familiar with "Tim & Eric", Tim Heidecker is one of the writers of the movie. It was a decent movie, and I clearly saw what they were trying to do with the film. Having the movie (and gigs) take place in California's Central Valley added to the overall hopeless and absurd atmosphere of the film. It was decent, but I would really only recommend it to those who think they would enjoy it

i didn't really get into it but i think alverson is making some of the most unusual/challenging cinema out there. his previous movie THE COMEDY had both tim and eric in lead roles as well as turkington and james murphy from lcd soundsystem, i liked that one more but it's just as inaccessible.

Reactions: unknown
you probably wouldn't think so, but i don't get erect over silence so w/e. too hammy for my tastes, not to mention all the strained feminism, i'm surprised that doesn't bother you. foster's performance is the main reason i like that movie.

i think feminist themes are pretty central to the movie myself, present in the majority of scenes in some way even when they aren't clearly explicated, but either way i'm fine with that when it's subtle. i just don't like the more obvious surface-level stuff that's pretty numerous in the script, with men endlessly hitting on her, patronising her, marginalising her etc (the irony being that hannibal actually treats her with the most respect and is therefore who she's most drawn to) - it's a little corny and contrived at its worst. then again i find the whole thing a bit corny nowadays i suppose, that's my main mark against it, although not as much as my dad who despises hopkins' cannibalising of the scenery and swears by MANHUNTER heh. thankfully the nuanced way foster performs that role sells most of the interactions to me even when the script is bordering on cartoonish, and i still really like it, it's probably an 8/10 for me or something.

i never loved the TV show either 'cause it's just too alienating, but i do admire it a lot, i like that it feels like it was made by psychopaths for psychopaths. the way it's written and visualised feels very narcissistic and calculated to me in a way i'd probably hate in another context, but it works pretty great for that material.

Reactions: rms and CiG
i need to know where this clip/gif is from asap
giphy.gif

Been in the movie watching habit for the first time in years lately. Here's a few on my to-watch/rewatch list which I hope to find others like if anyone has ideas:
  • Inland Empire
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • The Imitation Game
  • Eraserhead
  • Altered States
  • The Dark Knight
Basically the themes/genres I'm after are trippy psychological thrillers, dark surrealism, and govt conspiracy plots.

Been in the movie watching habit for the first time in years lately. Here's a few on my to-watch/rewatch list which I hope to find others like if anyone has ideas:
  • Inland Empire
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • The Imitation Game
  • Eraserhead
  • Altered States
  • The Dark Knight
Basically the themes/genres I'm after are trippy psychological thrillers, dark surrealism, and govt conspiracy plots.
Off the top of my head:

Blue Velvet (1986)
Lost Highway (1997)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Dead Ringers (1988)
Spider (2002)
The 4th Man (1983)
Venus in Furs (1969)
La belle captive (1983)
Possession (1981)
Symptoms (1974)
White of the Eye (1987)
Track 29 (1988)
See You In Hell, My Darling (1999)
Gozu (2003)
Bug (2006)

Not much in terms of govt conspiracy plots but those should quench the trippy psychological thriller and dark surrealism thirsts.

i need to know where this clip/gif is from asap
giphy.gif

This:

Jacob's Ladder
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Últimas imágenes del naufragio
In the Mouth of Madness
Stalker (1979)
The Signal (2014)
The Spanish Prisoner
The Mackintosh Man

Also, which version of The Manchurian Candidate did you mean? I haven't seen either.