The Official Movie Thread

I watched Repulsion, a Roman Polanski, movie last week and I thought it was really good. Like I think the movie pretty much nailed schizophrenia. I guess I thought it was going to go overboard like many movies do when the main character has a mental illness, but I liked how it was a bit of a slow burner and showed how it progressively got worse.

Also, I’m late to the game and saw Black Panther which I thoroughly enjoyed. Though, it did remind me a bit of The Lion King.

Reactions: CiG
The wife's out for the weekend, so I'm Netflix and chilling with some pizza and beer. Have a couple good ones lined up (I hope).

But for now I'm finishing a little work with The Descent on in the background. I forgot what a good movie this was.

What do you have lined up? I'm on Netflix and can't find a damn thing

Ended up watching Wind River. Thought it was an effective, concise, and ultimately satisfying murder mystery. Also, badass finale.

Also have The Interview in the queue (the 1998 film starring Hugo Weaving, not the James Franco bullshit), but didn't end up watching it last night.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I watched Repulsion, a Roman Polanski, movie last week and I thought it was really good. Like I think the movie pretty much nailed schizophrenia. I guess I thought it was going to go overboard like many movies do when the main character has a mental illness, but I liked how it was a bit of a slow burner and showed how it progressively got worse.
Seek out Frustration (1971), Images (1972) and Symptoms (1974) which are all similarly themed.

Thanks @Oblivious Maximus ill check those movies out. Actually one day I need to pick your brain on some of your favorite horror movies.

Wind River was great. I think @rms talked about it, it got good reviews and so I saw it in the movies. I thought it was an interesting and unique story for Hollywood standards, and I left the movie theater pissed off.

Black Panther spoiler alert!!!!
On Black Panther i had a huge argument with my boyfriend over it on whether or not Killmonger had a legit plan or not. I guess don’t think they made him a dynamic enough character to truly say. Where I think they were going with him, he just didn’t have a clear target. He was angry at his circumstance, angry at Wakanda, angry at the oppressiveness of his world. To me, he seemed to want to burn everything down and had no alliegance to anyone except himself and satisfying his anger. Like there wasn’t anything likeable about his character. In addition, I didn’t like his cheap one-liners either.

Reactions: rms
I tried.to show wind River to my lady friend and I didn't realize how much of a turn off rape scenes are. She couldn't finish it.

I really liked it. The ending after the kill was great, the family of the daughter was awesome, Renner was awesome. And the evil me makes me happy seeing libs confronted with native problems that get no attention and are far more damaging than other minorities.

And the evil me makes me happy seeing libs confronted with native problems that get no attention and are far more damaging than other minorities.

What, like it's some kind of "gotcha!" moment? :err: It sounds like you're saying "libs" wouldn't enjoy the movie because of this, and yet all the libs I know who've seen it really liked it...

What, like it's some kind of "gotcha!" moment? :err: It sounds like you're saying "libs" wouldn't enjoy the movie because of this, and yet all the libs I know who've seen it really liked it...

the attention one minority group gets more than other minority groups is correlated to white guilt + volume rather than the actual problems

*edit* Watched Manhunter last night. Fun, a little better than Red Dragon, and off memory relatively similar (especially Hoffman's character). But the Leckter thing is strange, he's such a small portion of this instance that's nothing more than "hey it's the same character played by another actor!"

the attention one minority group gets more than other minority groups is correlated to white guilt + volume rather than the actual problems

Okay, but you think this makes it difficult for left-wing viewers to enjoy the film? I'm just confused.

Furthermore, Eskimos aren't white, and so white guilt doesn't exclude the treatment of Eskimos. I agree that native Eskimos have been treated pretty horribly and been neglected, but I don't understand why that means I have to stop saying that blacks have been neglected too...?

Just a weird comment, I thought. A good movie though.

no, i think how the hypocrisy is not acknowledged nor able to gain traction is hilarious. wouldn't say it's a weird comment, i would say the film does it without intent, because its teaching the average american about the transitioning indian experience, which has been transitioning for like 2 centuries now :lol:

white guilt isnt about eskimos, it's about feeling worse about a great ancestor being a plantation owner more than a great great ancestor being a conqueror. the historical analysis doesn't go that far back

the film is set in Wyoming (and in reality: https://windriver.org/ ) :lol: where you get Eskimos from? and I thought that word was banished for people of the arctic region anyways

but I don't understand why that means I have to stop saying that blacks have been neglected too...?

what's the BLM saying, " you don't go to an AIDS rally and say 'cancer kills more people!' "

no, i think how the hypocrisy is not acknowledged nor able to gain traction is hilarious. wouldn't say it's a weird comment, i would say the film does it without intent, because its teaching the average american about the transitioning indian experience, which has been transitioning for like 2 centuries now :lol:

white guilt isnt about eskimos, it's about feeling worse about a great ancestor being a plantation owner more than a great great ancestor being a conqueror. the historical analysis doesn't go that far back

re. Eskimos, see below. But white guilt is about Native Americans, for sure. It's most often associated with white attitudes toward black people, but it encompasses other ethnic minorities.

the film is set in Wyoming (and in reality: https://windriver.org/ ) :lol: where you get Eskimos from? and I thought that word was banished for people of the arctic region anyways

hahaha, that was a slip. It was a movie set in a cold place about indigenous peoples from there. My bad.

Eskimo isn't banished in any politically incorrect sense, that I'm aware of, although it isn't technically the proper word (i.e. it's not what Eskimos call themselves); but it could be offensive, I suppose. I don't really know.

I wouldn't go to a BLM rally and talk about how badly Native Americans were treated; but I would discuss it, say, in a classroom. I've read/taught Louise Erdrich. I don't feel obligated to discuss black disenfranchisement at the expense of other minorities.

Last edited:
think its only innuits last i heard but i think you're not being honest if you think americans feel anywhere as guilty about natives as black people

Oh I'm sorry, that's a different question. I took your comment to mean that "libs," or left-wing viewers, would see the movie as some kind of smack in the face or something, or that it would make them uncomfortable, or some such. Furthermore, it seemed as though you were suggesting that sympathy or concern for the plight of blacks precluded sympathy or concern for the plight of Native Americans.

I do agree that the question of black inequality is a more looming one in America's history and in the contemporary cultural atmosphere. I thought you were insinuating some kind of logical argument against expressing concern over both black and Native American inequality; i.e. that I can only acknowledge black suffering at the expense of Native American suffering, or vice versa.

I took your comment to mean that "libs," or left-wing viewers, would see the movie as some kind of smack in the face or something, or that it would make them uncomfortable, or some such.

it should, but it hasnt. and that's why i laugh

Furthermore, it seemed as though you were suggesting that sympathy or concern for the plight of blacks precluded sympathy or concern for the plight of Native Americans.

the open space of issues of minorities really only allows attention for one, and that one is blacks for the foreseeable future