The Official Movie Thread

yeah, this is what she said but I think the movie had to do a little more here to demonstrate this was at all feasible and actually planned.

think the grandma wasn't needed for any of this at all :lol: goofy family as is. unless granny made her sleep walk to try and kill Peter

so, why did the end ruin it for you? missing something here

Well, the grandma started it all, so... she was needed to that degree at least.

As far as planning goes, it was all in place before the movie even started. That's apparent enough from the outcome itself. I don't think anything more needed to be established within the narrative.

The ending was campy, which in and of itself doesn't bother me. I love camp. My problem with it in this film is that it clarifies the supernatural aspect, and situates this aspect firmly within the realm of demonic ritual. I enjoyed the ambiguity leading up to this, when the film straddled the uncertainty between genuine possession and mental health, and foregrounded the themes of familial taboo and maladjustment over the themes of satanic belief. The ending wasn't bad, I just enjoyed the indeterminacy leading up to the ending more than the ending itself. I get that the movie was giving a nod back to classic '60s/'70s horror, I just don't quite understand why.

Haven't seen the movie, I just wanted to feel included.

:p

As far as planning goes, it was all in place before the movie even started. That's apparent enough from the outcome itself. I don't think anything more needed to be established within the narrative.

but then the argument is grandma/joan tricked Charlie to going to the party, orchestrated the events that Peter would push her to the cake, have her eat the cake and stick her head out the car (dumbest shit ive seen) and then kill the deer/sheep/ram and have him go that way around it. that's a lot of steps you're just rolling with "well she planned it" :lol: seems like a large leap

with the rest of your quote, I guess we followed the movie in the same way. it went hollywood (over-explain) coupled with forcing some plot holes into the grand plan. when Annie was on the ceiling in the corner the first time that was awesome, gotta love that. and the bald dude with his teeth showing. A+

but then the argument is grandma/joan tricked Charlie to going to the party, orchestrated the events that Peter would push her to the cake, have her eat the cake and stick her head out the car (dumbest shit ive seen) and then kill the deer/sheep/ram and have him go that way around it. that's a lot of steps you're just rolling with "well she planned it" :lol: seems like a large leap

with the rest of your quote, I guess we followed the movie in the same way. it went hollywood (over-explain) coupled with forcing some plot holes into the grand plan. when Annie was on the ceiling in the corner the first time that was awesome, gotta love that. and the bald dude with his teeth showing. A+

Yeah, the imagery near the end was spectacular. Really creepy shit.

The argument is that the entire thing is orchestrated, yes. I mean, if we're admitting that these people are members of a supernatural cult that called forth the demon god Paimon, then I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe that they caused things to happen in the way they wanted. If we're allowing that supernatural beings exist, then I don't see why events can't be supernaturally manipulated. In fact, part of the film's reveal is that everything happened for a reason. It was (ahem) hereditary, so to speak.

According to the lore in the film, Paimon possesses the "most vulnerable" person. I assume that "most vulnerable" means that Peter could be coerced--subliminally, unconsciously, what have you--into doing the things he did.

The ending was campy, which in and of itself doesn't bother me. I love camp. My problem with it in this film is that it clarifies the supernatural aspect, and situates this aspect firmly within the realm of demonic ritual. I enjoyed the ambiguity leading up to this, when the film straddled the uncertainty between genuine possession and mental health, and foregrounded the themes of familial taboo and maladjustment over the themes of satanic belief. The ending wasn't bad, I just enjoyed the indeterminacy leading up to the ending more than the ending itself. I get that the movie was giving a nod back to classic '60s/'70s horror, I just don't quite understand why.

:p

I think that the male host needed to come from the grandmother's bloodline, which is why Paimon couldn't possess the father (Annie's husband). The title is referencing some supernatural demon that runs through the grandmother's bloodline, as oppose to a series of mental illnesses. I think Charlie became Paimon, but Paimon needed a "vulnerable" male host to achieve their full power. So when Peter throws himself out of the window the demon (that also has Charlie's spirit too) possesses him and that's when it starts getting a bit happily ever after cult style. Honestly, my gripe with the movie (at the end) was similar. I really liked The Exorcism of Emily Rose as it toyed more with the notion of "is this really demonic possession or a mental illness." I thought this movie was going the same way until it made a solid choice in the end. I mean the title lends itself to teether between mental illness and the supernatural, but I suppose it's interesting that the writers made a choice in the end.

I really did enjoy this movie. I liked it a lot more than The Witch. I also need to re-watch The Witch, though, as I saw it in the movie theaters and had a hard time deciphering what was being said (those accents needed CC!). However, for The Witch I thought the ending was rather anti-climatic , and I just expected more. With Hereditary, the ending was nuts and the way they choose to tell it (in a really happy mood as oppose to making it much more dark) was an interesting choice too. Although, not what I was expecting, the ending was still engaging and didn't really leave me with much questions afterwards (well besides some shock and some initial ending questions that you sorta answer after discussing or thinking about the movie afterwards).

Reactions: Einherjar86
SECONDS is by the same director as THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE but even better IMO, and has some similar themes. THE PARALLAX VIEW is another classic in that department. BLOW OUT, NIGHT MOVES and THE CONVERSATION aren't exactly govt conspiracy stuff but they share that '70s paranoia. i think COMBAT SHOCK is a good recommendation for ERASERHEAD fans, not sure if that's just me though. you'd probably like cronenberg stuff like DEAD RINGERS and THE FLY.
Seen all of these apart from Blow Out and The Fly now, good recs.

The one that stood out to me was The Parallax View. Some absurd dialogue/scenarios that made me chuckle, but those add to the sombre/dystopian feeling of the whole thing as well.

But for now I'm finishing a little work with The Descent on in the background. I forgot what a good movie this was

Watching this right now for the first time. Heard many good things and I loved his previous film Dog Soldiers. Also, all the lights are off, I'm going all in lmao.

Btw are you a fan of District 9 and/or Elysium?

The Descent is pretty cool. The sequel is one of the dumbest Swiss cheese plot holed movies I can think of though. Really one of those movies they should have left as a one and done. Guess Hollywood refuses to let that happen to anything mildly popular.

Reactions: CiG
I liked the ending a lot, finding out there's a sequel is really disappointing. I love ambiguous endings that offer no sense of a nice happy ending.

Some upcoming movies I've been keeping an eye on:

unnamed.jpg

@RadicalThrasher hey man, are you into James Bickert's exploitation films, Dear God No! and Frankenstein Created Bikers? This is his new project, a 'women in prison' film. Looks pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

MV5BMTkzMTM4NDY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM2Njc4NDM@._V1_.jpg

British/Jamaican crime film directed (his debut) by Idris Elba.
This one seems to have all the elements I like in a crime film so hopefully it's good.

THTJB_Main_Poster_House.jpg

Lars von Trier's next film is going to be a psychological horror and it looks pretty cool.

MV5BOGEyNTYyZjgtZmZiNC00YTI0LTllNDEtMDJmYTNjZDNjZjQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQzNDM3NTI@._V1_.jpg

South Korean live-action remake of the manga/anime Jin-Roh, called Illang: The Wolf Brigade.
Hoping it's good because Jin-Roh is a favourite of mine, the trailer looks promising.

MV5BZDI1MGIyZDMtYjAyMy00ZWE1LTgzYjctYzM5MzczNjFjZWQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODQyNzE3MDg@._V1_.jpg

This one came out in May, don't think it's out here yet but anyway I haven't seen it.
Looks good, always keen for a Paul Schrader drama.

You-Were-Never-Really-Here-poster-600x889.jpg

Another one that already came out, in April I think. Looks great going by the trailer, I'm a sucker for moody thrillers.

If anybody has seen the ones already out let me know if they're good or not.

MV5BMWMxMDZhNjEtYjA3ZS00MzE5LTkwN2MtNmNhMzJiNjQwMzQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NTM5NDY@._V1_.jpg

In the same way the original two Mad Max films kicked off an entire trend of post-apocalyptic action films, has Mad Max: Fury Road revived the tradition? Anyway this looks fun, a James Franco/Milla Jovovich popcorn-apocalyptic film.

There's a few others which don't yet have trailers, like S. Craig Zahler's (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cellblock 99, the band Realmbuilder) upcoming third film Dragged Across Concrete, a Vince Vaughn/Mel Gibson police brutality film. Also has anybody seen this?

Not sure how to feel about it.

Watching this right now for the first time. Heard many good things and I loved his previous film Dog Soldiers. Also, all the lights are off, I'm going all in lmao.

Btw are you a fan of District 9 and/or Elysium?

I think District 9 is great. Elysium is a good movie, but flawed. For example, it makes no sense to me why the wealthy would hoard medical technologies that appear, by all accounts, to operate without much oversight or technical expertise. I don't understand why they wouldn't even put just a few of those machines on the ground. But anyway, it's an allegorical film; so I cut it slack.

On a different note, I love when Matt Damon is about to get his cyborg operation procedure and the character giving it to him says "Get out the bone saw!" There's a really good IPA made here in Cambridge called Boom Sauce. So now whenever we have that in the fridge, I like to shout "Get out the Boom Sauce!" It's dumb, but Elysium has solidified its place in our household, haha.

Reactions: CiG
On a different note, I love when Matt Damon is about to get his cyborg operation procedure and the character giving it to him says "Get out the bone saw!" There's a really good IPA made here in Cambridge called Boom Sauce. So now whenever we have that in the fridge, I like to shout "Get out the Boom Sauce!" It's dumb, but Elysium has solidified its place in our household, haha.

lmao this is great.

I agree with you on Elysium being flawed for that exact reason you noted, but it's allegorical so it can be forgiven. I think the reason it has flaws like that is because the constraints of a film don't do Neill Blomkamp's vision much justice. He should take advantage of the series medium and really flex his creative muscles.

Edit: Have you checked out his Oats Studios short film series yet? I've only seen this first one, but it has me convinced he should try his hand at writing a series.

don't remember the sequel being that bad, just a different vein than the first one. The Descent rules though

The police drug the obvious traumatized and injured girl from the first back into the cave. That alone is fucking retarded. They also wrote her and another character back to life. It looked fine and everything but the premise was so far fetched it made it ridiculous.