The Official Movie Thread

Tonight ...

This was a really pleasant surprise. Cool premise, delightfully creepy, and well-made. The reveal/conceit is nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed what the filmmakers did with it. Nice, tidy ending.

MV5BMjA2MTEzMzkzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjM2MTM5MDI@._V1_.jpg

This was a really pleasant surprise. Cool premise, delightfully creepy, and well-made. The reveal/conceit is nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed what the filmmakers did with it. Nice, tidy ending.

MV5BMjA2MTEzMzkzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjM2MTM5MDI@._V1_.jpg

Started out promising (I love procedural films) but by the end I was pretty disappointed, and gave the DVD away the other day. I had high hopes for it going in, so I probably set myself for that.

Started out promising (I love procedural films) but by the end I was pretty disappointed, and gave the DVD away the other day. I had high hopes for it going in, so I probably set myself for that.

The ending was the weakest part. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but there are so many awful horror films on netflix. This one managed to rise above most others, I thought.

And I also love procedurals. The mystery aspect, when done well, is always a nice touch. Same reason I love science fiction narratives that revolve around a central mystery. I recently watched the Swiss sci-fi film, Cargo, which was ultimately pretty bad. But I still absolutely loved the sequence about thirty minutes in or so, when the crew is investigating the ship's huge cargo hold. Only good part of the film, haha.

Reactions: CiG
...I haven't even heard of it. Is it on Netflix?

Wouldn't have a clue, maybe? The first film was fairly popular, called The Keeper of Lost Causes, I think they're Swedish, about a difficult but brilliant detective who gets shitcanned to Department Q where all the unsolved cases are kept and his job is to just close them but because he's a detective he inevitably re-opens cases that catch his eye. Very cool procedural films that aren't mind-blowing but make for enjoyable viewing when you feel like just watching competent cinema that doesn't try to be anything more than it is.

Based on books iirc.

Reactions: Einherjar86
The ending was the weakest part. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but there are so many awful horror films on netflix. This one managed to rise above most others, I thought.

And I also love procedurals. The mystery aspect, when done well, is always a nice touch. Same reason I love science fiction narratives that revolve around a central mystery. I recently watched the Swiss sci-fi film, Cargo, which was ultimately pretty bad. But I still absolutely loved the sequence about thirty minutes in or so, when the crew is investigating the ship's huge cargo hold. Only good part of the film, haha.

we’ve mentioned it a lot lately but watch memories of murder if you haven’t. a korean procedural-cum-epistemological & institutional nightmare from the early ‘00s, kinda zodiac-esque.

Reactions: CiG and Einherjar86
Worth checking out?

I liked it. It's over the top, the characters aren't too bad considering the lead is a wrestler and no on goes looking for Oscar winning acting in movies like this. The connection to the video game is there but not convincing, but I don't think anyone would really watch it for that. And there is a few funny lines including a message spoken between the ape and Dwayne which you'll pick up if you know sign language. It's not overly great at anything it does but it's not terrible either.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
The Rock did a decent job and it would have been interesting to see some of the blooper reels interacting with the the ape. He works well in the environment of hell on earth and only one man can save it but I don't think anyone who watches such thing expects him to be brilliant when it comes to walking and talking at the same time. There is a few CGI scenes in the movie that are really poorly stitched into the movie though.