The Official Movie Thread

Not unless he was one of the apes.
There wasn't that many recognisable namess (to me). The guy The Rock liaises with is the dad from Supernatural and other than that I recognised faces but not names. But the Ape was definitely the lead role :)

Just finished watching First Reformed, still reeling from the experience...

It was very layered, the contrast of a man slowly destroying his body and ignoring everybody around him trying to get him to start taking care of it, while feeling deep disgust over the way we as people are slowly destroying the planet in the face of endless warnings from activists and the scientific community reminds me of the conflict I see in Taxi Driver where a man feels deep hatred for society all the while slowly destroying himself and sinking deeper and deeper into degeneracy, becoming a microcosm of the rest of the world that he so viscerally lobs criticism at.

Still trying to figure out many things though, like the way it ended and why, what was that ending's significance if it even has any? Also, I'm surprised that the notion that First Reformed is a political film was so readily dismissed here. To me this was a film steeped in politics, a direct rebuttal to the convenience and laziness inherent in local politics that allows the average person to live in ignorance of the larger impacts of politics itself. This film was actually quite ballsy in the way it directly points the finger at the marriage of religion and corporatism that demands religious people choose money and politics over religious conviction and philosophical beliefs.

To me this film was more political than any classic political film that deals with cover-ups, elections or whatever other on-the-nose themes usually make up the political content of a film. I might get some opposition for this but First Reformed is more politically poignant than anything I've seen in awhile, because it challenges all sides of politics with no side coming out as the clear winner. It doesn't wrap up nicely and neatly, there's no conclusion or justice, instead we're just forced to think about our beliefs and ideals and for me, it forced me to actually consider why I was so disappointed that he didn't end up suicide bombing the whole church.

This is a film about an American patriot and former-military bishop who loses his son in the Iraq War (which he feels guilty about because it's a family tradition to join the military and serve) and thus he loses all meaning in his life, loses his wife, leaving himself vulnerable to radicalization which an environmentalist inadvertently does during the process of Hawke counseling him, with a new worldview which he then frames in his religious beliefs and slowly descends into a mindstate where he's willing to cause massive harm to people.

It basically plays out in the exact same way in which we're told moderate Muslims become jihadists in the middle east, after war takes their loved ones from them. First Reformed is an American-Christian jihad film, directly referencing this with a literal suicide vest as the catalyst for the events of the film.

Ethan Hawke dominates the screen also, I hung on every word he said, and every silent scene he was in. The cinematography was also very beautiful, comfortable, it didn't mind lingering on a shot longer than the usual film would allow. It really breathes.

Last edited:
Np

13699_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Good review of First Reformed cig. I know I was one saying it wasn't really a political movie but I meant that in the same sense you say "no side coming out as the clear winner" ie it's not polemic. I still feel it's more about crisis of identity and disaffection than politics but I guess your point is that the former drives the latter and I wouldn't really disagree.

I've never been much of a fan of Ethan Hawke's acting but I thought he was top notch here.

The one part that I'm still ambivalent about is that
Hawke's dilemmas and angst are really driven by a lack of love in his life. We think about things like environmental destruction when we are lonely and listless but isn't his decision not to bomb the church merely the result of love (and hence complacency) returning? Is it really just a case of "love is all you need" and when you have that, there is less need/motivation for radical action? Maybe that is the reality and this isn't really a weakness in the film at all.

The one part that I'm still ambivalent about is
that Hawke's dilemmas and angst are really driven by a lack of love in his life. We think about things like environmental destruction when we are lonely and listless but isn't his decision not to bomb the church merely the result of love (and hence complacency) returning? Is it really just a case of "love is all you need" and when you have that, there is less need/motivation for radical action? Maybe that is the reality and this isn't really a weakness in the film at all.

By contrast
Mary and Michael are a married couple and are both environmentalists, who by all accounts had a pretty special relationship (the "Magical Mystery Tour" thing they do is pretty... unique) and weren't lonesome or listless, so if the message was that listlessness and loneliness leads to worrying about environmental destruction, they rebutted themselves there.

I think a lot of what drives him (or fuels his lack of drive so-to-speak) is the guilt he feels about pushing his son into a war which he himself describes as "totally immoral" or something like that. In a sense, and this is me just riffing out of my ass here, Ernst is like a thought experiment on the tale of Abraham and his son Isaac, except Ernst actually does sacrifice his son to god, motivated by patriotism and his mixing of military and religion (by being a chaplain for the military) and is subsequently destroyed by it.

I think you make an interesting observation here, that void of love he's motivated but becomes complacent once it's back in his life. Something for me to think about for sure and it will explain the abrupt ending's point. Now that he's in love he's going to go back to being same old switched off Ernst.

Did you notice that in the middle of the film he pours some drain cleaner into his booze? Somehow I didn't notice what it was and wondered why it wasn't mixing in with the drink properly, then at the end it clicked that he had been slowly poisoning himself, or thematically polluting himself, perhaps as an experiment to compare how a drop of pollution makes him feel vs how the earth must feel when we pour a trillion drops into it every year. This is why it shows him puking into the toilet at one point.

I think this is one of those movies that will slowly unfold more and more with each viewing.

Skyscraper [with The Rock] was interesting
all the moments mentioning/featuring duct-tape just kinda looked "a duct-tape commercial staring The Rock"
which was a kind of fun way to do comic relief

Skyscraper [with The Rock] was interesting
all the moments mentioning/featuring duct-tape just kinda looked "a duct-tape commercial staring The Rock"
which was a kind of fun way to do comic relief

I thought this was a really mediocre at best movie. Along with Rampage, which was a watch once and never again type of movie, I thought the Rock had a really bad year of movies. The most interesting thing about Skyscraper was how Neve Campbell (who played his wife) was a kickass badass in the movie.

ehh, i said interesting, not awesome
you're right, i don't think i could sit through watching either Scyscraper or Rampage over and over again

Watching:

56267_1_large.jpg

Hey nice coincidence. I just read about the new Scorpion release earlier. Neat movie with a pretty interesting cast including the girl that was (allegedly) shot by Phil Spector! Mastorakis is a curious individual. Island of Death is a pretty special movie.

Unrelated by this just got a snazzy new German 2-disc release. This movie is one of the nuttiest things ever captured on 35mm film. It's amazing that it exists. It was an honorable mention in my best of 1990 list.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Cop was frankly fucking amazing. I wasn't really expecting it to be as gritty and cynical as it was, and the occasional sleazy saxophone in the soundtrack was pure 80's gold. Loved the ending, loved Woods' rampant male chauvinism and "victim blaming" set against what's truly driving all of his boorish opinions and views; the knowledge gained through years on the job that there's a good chance something will happen to his daughter unless he can spew as many self-help red-pills her way as possible to prepare her for #RapeCulture, which obviously drives a wedge between him and all the women he comes across.

On its surface it is 110 minutes of slam-dunking on feminism and proto-SJWisms, but peek beneath that surface even slightly and actually it's not an anti-feminist film because the only character that actually acts as if the critiques of feminism are a reality is the one being a cunt to all the women.

Had I seen this during the 1988 game it would have definitely made my list.

Watched Colors today, it came in a two pack with Cops up there. Turned out to be just as good as Cops for different reasons. I really like police procedural films and primarily that's what this one was, and it leaned heavily on the buddy cop thing. What made it more interesting though was the urban grittiness and the gang culture depiction that gets beneath surface level depictions and actually shows some machinations of the Crips, Bloods and other gangs in the area.

Peak Sean Penn, Robert Duvall doing what he does best, Don Cheadle as a mysterious and ruthless gang leader, directed by Dennis Hopper with a very 80's soundtrack that actually works even though it's quite dated. I really need to see more of these street crime gang movies, I could swear @RadicalThrasher or @TechnicalBarbarity had talked about Colors before but I couldn't find anything in the search.

Another 1988 film that would have made my top 10 if I had seen it at the time.

yeah ive seen that movie so many times growing up, lol. It made my 1988 list.

Have you seen American Me with Edward James Olmos? it makes every other LA gang/prison movie looks like amateur childsplay in comparison. Its based on a true story, they use real street and prison gang names and rumor was that Olmos almost got green lighted by La Emme(the Mexican Mafia)for it. One of my all time favorites.

Have you seen American Me with Edward James Olmos? it makes every other LA gang/prison movie looks like amateur childsplay in comparison. Its based on a true story, they use real street and prison gang names and rumor was that Olmos almost got green lighted by La Emme(the Mexican Mafia)for it. One of my all time favorites.

I don't think so, no. If I have it was once, because it sounds super familiar. I think maybe my old housemate had it, his collection is ridiculously huge but I was a teen then and didn't capitalize like I should have and instead just watched dumb horror movies over and over.

After you and RadThrash were talking about it I looked it up on Ebay and couldn't find anything for region 4. Just looked now and still nothing.

I don't think so, no. If I have it was once, because it sounds super familiar. I think maybe my old housemate had it, his collection is ridiculously huge but I was a teen then and didn't capitalize like I should have and instead just watched dumb horror movies over and over.

After you and RadThrash were talking about it I looked it up on Ebay and couldn't find anything for region 4. Just looked now and still nothing.
yea for some reason we havent had any new releases out here either. I've been waiting for that one to come out on blu ray for years now. Top tier in just about every single aspect of filmaking. Something that definitely cant be said for other movies of the same style. No other film even comes close in showing you how it truly was and is out here. A very "real" piece.