The Official Movie Thread

Saw Wind River the other day. Rather enjoyed it. The dialog and directing really made it feel like this could be something that was actually happening.

Saw Wind River the other day. Rather enjoyed it. The dialog and directing really made it feel like this could be something that was actually happening.

I saw it when it came out in the theaters. The lead up is great. But the last act was a let down in execution.

Watching

the-king-of-the-kickboxers-movie-poster.jpg

I disagree with what Walter Chaw wrote about Us.

It's an impressive and largely under-racialized film. I actually think Chaw over-reads the racial dynamics of the script (he also makes what I'm pretty sure are factual errors regarding key plot points that he makes a big deal over). It's less about race than it is about... I'm not really sure, haha. I think it's just about confronting aspects of our selfhood that we find disturbing.

Overall, it has plot holes. More than a few, I think. It's my impression that these don't tar what I'd call the expressive/figurative dimension of the film. I suppose it depends on what you look for in a narrative.

I disagree with what Walter Chaw wrote about Us.

It's an impressive and largely under-racialized film. I actually think Chaw over-reads the racial dynamics of the script (he also makes what I'm pretty sure are factual errors regarding key plot points that he makes a big deal over). It's less about race than it is about... I'm not really sure, haha. I think it's just about confronting aspects of our selfhood that we find disturbing.

Overall, it has plot holes. More than a few, I think. It's my impression that these don't tar what I'd call the expressive/figurative dimension of the film. I suppose it depends on what you look for in a narrative.

You really throw filmmaking out the window so fast. Horribly excuted film but I bet you love the 11:11 references LOL

But I would say that reviewer is too fascinated with a racial element when it's clear early it's not intended that way. Right about everything but Lupita being horrible. Shame she hit stardom so fast, would've been a great face for horror movies.

You really throw filmmaking out the window so fast. Horribly excuted film but I bet you love the 11:11 references LOL

Why? About the 11:11 references, I mean. I could have done without them, honestly. They didn't ruin anything for me, though.

I'd be a bit more specific with regard to its execution. I agree that narratively speaking, it wasn't terribly well-executed. I do think there were a lot of plot holes,
mostly having to do with the logistics/mechanics of how exactly the "tethering" works

Personally, I found the conceptual framework of the film convincing enough to warrant interest. I'm still quite clueless as to what kind of commentary/critique, if any, the film is interested in making; but as we've both said, I don't think it's a very racially charged film. One of my main problems with Chaw's review had to do with his imposition of racial readings on details that, I'm fairly certain, he's misremembering (unless I'm misunderstanding him):

The main one I recall had to do with the hide-a-key rock, which Chaw makes a big deal about. Gabe does make a comment about it being "white people shit," which I personally thought was funny. I don't think it was part of any racial unconscious of the film; I think it was a throw-away joke. Chaw seemed to find it... I'm not sure, forced? But his real problem had to do with Gabe's lack of knowledge about it--i.e. if his doppelganger, Abraham, knew it was there, then Gabe should have known too. In all fairness, I think this is something the film is murky on, and I'll be the first to admit that it lets a LOT of things slide when it comes to the logistics of the tethering.

But my problem with Chaw's comment is that Abraham isn't the one who finds the hide-a-key. Addie's doppelganger does, i.e. the "real" Addie--and her doppelganger is the one who says "the hide-a-key."