The Official Movie Thread

Recently came on my radar that since 2015 Dave Chappelle has been calling out Key & Peele for stealing his thing and making it their own without giving him any credit. Comedians don't accuse other comedians of biting their material flippantly either. I can kinda see where he's coming from.

Very excited for Us.

I loved Get Out, thought it was smart and hilarious; but I'm an SJW cuck. :D But I would recommend it. I thought it was a delicious experiment in genre combination/modification. What it does with genre is analogous to what happens to bodies in the narrative.

Last edited:
Cinema is a gigantic waste of money
i like going to the movie theater to see a movie
i just usually get stuffed eating something else right before the movie starts so i'm not paying those outrageous concession stand prices for candy and popcorn though

tonight ...

Depends how you define "bad" I suppose. It's better than every MCU film I've seen by a mile, but it's obviously no arthouse masterpiece or anything. Simplistic, very effective, very 80's, great soundtrack.

some reviews of dragged across concrete:
Zahler's best movie yet, in its way his JACKIE BROWN, an exploration of race, police power, class, and crime. As idiosyncratic and weirdly literary as it is vile. Any questions you have about his actual worldview won't be answered but it's an ugly, bleak, and often very funny little bomb. A nearly perfect po-mo exploitation film.

---

Zahler takes his languid pulp styling to loquacious extremes, settling in for a gentle float down a lazy river of hazy corruption and murder - even the final confrontation is patiently paced, as methodical as the near-real-time stakeout that proceeded it. It's intoxicating, Zahler turning genre into a procedural of its own making, like a bloody
How It's Made episode or something. Still get occasional jabs of discomfort with the auteur's potentially problematic politics (the audience that laughed a bit too much along with the racist bon mots of the script didn't help), especially since Zahler seemingly finds the asshole cops at the centre of his script at least a little bit noble, their backwards attitudes maybe even just the remnants of a time long forgotten of gunslingers and knights. Or maybe he's just fucking with everyone, a complete troll. Either way, it's a compelling exploitation vision that I love getting lost in.

---

More outlaw cinema from the king of modern exploitation. Owns the same love of dime store verbosity and near Lynchian static camera set ups, adding leathery, chain smoking Mel Gibson to the established set of “Zahler Players” from CELL BLOCK 99 as it floats along on the author’s trademark quasi-literary wavelength. Just know that this is a stakeout cop picture, which basically becomes a hangout movie with the two bluntly charming racist uncles you never had. Naturally, that means we get to watch Vaughn eat an egg salad sandwich in an unmarked car during a two-minute long take.