The Official Movie Thread

favourites of the last four years, since we're (sort of) on the subject:
  1. blackhat (michael mann)
  2. phantom thread (paul thomas anderson)
  3. the witch (dave eggers)
  4. nocturama (bertrand bonello)
  5. cemetery of splendor (apichatpong "joe" weerasethakul)
  6. anomalisa (charlie kaufman)
  7. aaaaaaaah! (steve oram)
  8. thunder road (jim cummings)
  9. a bride for rip van winkle (shunji iwai)
  10. the lobster (yorgos lanthimos)
  11. love and peace (sion sono)
  12. marjorie prime (michael almereyda)
  13. personal shopper (olivier assayas)
  14. the duke of burgundy (peter strickland)
  15. experimenter (michael almereyda)
  16. mad max: fury road (george miller)
  17. the handmaiden (park chan-wook)
  18. buzzard (joel potrykus)
  19. right now, wrong then (hong sang-soo)
  20. the love witch (anna biller)
gonna start delving back into 2018-2019 stuff so hopefully some more of those will infiltrate this list soon. there's no clear number 1 here yet, none of these make my decade top five and hardly any even challenge the top ten.

Including 2015 in 'the last four years'? Anyway, shorter list because I haven't seen as much:

1. You Were Never Really Here
2. Glass
3. The Wailing
4. Dragged Across Concrete
5. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
6. Train to Busan
7. Blackhat
8. John Wick 3
9. Star Wars: Rogue One
10. Doctor Strange

with the top 3 being all-time faves.

My top picks of the last 4 years or so, in no particular order:

The Handmaiden (Park)
Embrace of the Serpent (Guerra)
The Salesman (Farhadi)
Hounds of Love (Young)
The Square (Ostlund)
Zootopia (Moore and Howard)
Too Late (Hauck)
The Witch (Eggers)
Upgrade (Whannell)
Youth (Sorrentino)
Manchester by the Sea (Lonergan)
Toni Erdmann (Ade)
Elle (Verhoeven)
First Reformed (Schrader)
Dunkirk (Nolan)
Hereditary (Aster)
The Guilty (Moller)
The House That Jack Built (Von Trier)
Shoplifters (Koreeda)
Under the Silver Lake (Mitchell)

There's plenty of quality out there.

Reactions: CiG
Definitely haven't seen as much recent stuff as you guys. Not all of these are exactly "Hollywood" lmao.

2015 until now:

1. Brawl in Cell Block 99
2. Tangerine
3. Blackhat
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Green Room
6. First Reformed
7. Mandy
8. Bone Tomahawk
9. The Florida Project
10. The Lobster
11. The Revenant
12. Den of Thieves
13. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
14. Ghost in the Shell
15. Paradox
16. The Greasy Strangler
17. Logan
18. Chappie
19. White Boy Rick
20. Doctor Strange

I’m not sure how rms was defining “Hollywood,” but I doubt Ex Machina qualifies.

Speaking of which, Ex Machina is definitely in the top ten for me since 2014.

Its pretty fucking awesome. Far from a masterpiece or anything, but really cool atmosphere . Basically a haunted house story on a space ship/satan in space type shit. Like to hear what you think when you revisit it

Rewatched it this morning and man, I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Tried to talk myself out of giving it a perfect rating on Rateyourmusic but in the end I just loved the shit outta it lmao. The SFX were awesome, the brooding mood and evil atmosphere was perfect, great cast, the aesthetic reminded me of the Alien films with how rusty and dystopian everything looks, and I liked how violent it was when it needed to be. The brief orgy of violence ship-log footage was demented as fuck!

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Event Horizon really is a good movie. It’s campy at times, but I think it mostly excels in its atmospherics. It’s too bad the director’s cut footage is apparently lost forever.

It was produced by two British studios and distributed by A24, which is indie. The only real Hollywood connection it had was international distribution by Universal.

If being in a major theater market is all it takes for a film to be considered Hollywood, then I really don’t see how Halloween 2018 is the best “Hollywood” film since Ex Machina.

How else would one define popularity if not distribution? And domestically I saw it in either regal or AMC so it wasn't st the indie theater here.

And great if you think so, this is how conversations go. One person says something and others say something else that is at least related.

I saw it in an AMC too. I also saw High Life in an AMC. I’m not objecting to its popularity, but I think a lot of films we don’t consider “Hollywood” still find distribution at major theater chains.

The obsession people have with Marvel movies pisses me off.
the obsession is partially the spectacularly done inter-connected-ness with their world-building
every movie takes place in the same fucking universe and it's done in this spectacularly-amazingly-intricate way where guardians vol 3 STILL has to use James Gunn's script even though he's been fired as director

also, the obsession with Marvel Movies is partially (for some people it's mostly) just because the people who love superhero comics are thinking that the Marvel Cinimatic Universe movies are made way better than any other superhero movies

also
the Special Effects are done awesomely thanks to industrial light and magic

the obsession is partially the spectacularly done inter-connected-ness with their world-building
every movie takes place in the same fucking universe and it's done in this spectacularly-amazingly-intricate way where guardians vol 3 STILL has to use James Gunn's script even though he's been fired as director

James Gunn was rehired to direct the film a few weeks back.

James Gunn was rehired to direct the film a few weeks back.
they were only even considering re-hire-ing him as director because the films are so fucking inter-conected that they were going to have to use his script no matter what and re-hiring him now gets the production going quick enough so that the movies aren't horribly out-of-order in terms of chronology