The Official Movie Thread

What's his response to the ending then? I swear I saw a doc saying race played a role into the conclusion, being white doesn't really add up there.

https://www.thewrap.com/night-living-dead-casting-cult-classic-20545/
A look at the original script demonstrates the difference. When white Ben first arrives at the house, he says to Barbara: “Don’t you mind the creep outside. I can handle him. There’s probably gonna be lots more of ‘em. Soons they fin’ out about us. Ahm outa gas. Them pumps over there is locked. Is there food here? Ah get us some grub. Then we beat ‘em off and skedaddle. Ah guess you putzed with the phone.”

As translated by Duane Jones, the same speech goes: “Don’t worry about him. I can handle him. Probably be a whole lot more of them when they find out about us. The truck is out of gas. The pump out here is locked — is there a key? We can try to get out of here if we get some gas. Is there a key?” [Ben tries the phone.] “‘Spose you’ve tried this. I’ll see if I can find some food.”

Maybe Romero is some goofy liberal phony who doesn't "see color," but I don't buy it. This "no meaning" thing from artists is also horseshit from the cowards, but I don't feel like getting into it this time.

Last edited:
From Wiki:

"The script had been written with the character Ben as a rather simple truck driver. His dialogue was that of a lower class / uneducated person. Duane Jones was a very well educated man [and he] simply refused to do the role as it was written. As I recall, I believe that Duane himself upgraded his own dialogue to reflect how he felt the character should present himself."

Also:

"The lead role was originally written for someone of Caucasian descent, but upon casting African-American actor Duane Jones, Romero intentionally did not alter the script to reflect this."

@Einherjar86 I think she ruined any chance of getting an interesting response from the director when she said "it was offensive" and I think this is especially true if the director you're basically trying to interrogate is herself a minority.

I'm sure this didn't help, but offense asks for a different kind of acknowledgement than appeals to intentionality. All I meant was that asking a director what message she wanted to send is a nonstarter, not because the director might refuse to answer, but because she might not even know how to answer.

Either way, it was a poorly addressed question.

I'm sure this didn't help, but offense asks for a different kind of acknowledgement than appeals to intentionality. All I meant was that asking a director what message she wanted to send is a nonstarter, not because the director might refuse to answer, but because she might not even know how to answer.

Either way, it was a poorly addressed question.

Agreed. I tend to think activists (in general) have tunnel-vision and because of this, asking a question that assumes the answer already is worthless. "Hey this racist thing happened in your movie, what message were you trying to convey?"

Your alternative question would have been much better.

Btw have you seen Hold the Dark yet?

I may have recommended it but I honestly can't remember, I was going to ask what you thought about the plot. I haven't read the book so it's all a bit mysterious to me, I liked it a lot though.

I haven't read the book either. I don't recall all the details of the film, but I remember being satisfied afterward. I appreciated the narrative ambiguity, and I thought the mythology underpinning the story was cool.

Was it you that recommended Annihilation?

Ha, well like you said--I may have.

Although I was ambivalent when it came out, I've since grown to like it more. In this case I have read the book (all three in the trilogy, actually), and the film makes significant changes, not all of which I was happy with at first. I've come to appreciate them more after rewatching it.

It's a visually stunning movie, and certain shots are absolutely gorgeous. I think the acting is also pretty good, although I wasn't a fan of all the dialogue. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes cerebral sci-fi. It aims to be a sibling of Tarkovsky's work (Stalker and Solaris both come to mind), but its reach exceeds its grasp. That's not necessarily a fault, as Tarkovsky is a high bar. It's worth a watch at least, I'd say.

I'd also tell anyone who watches to bear in mind that although it's based on the first book of a trilogy, Garland has said he has no plans to direct sequels. So he views it as a standalone film, which likely informs some of the changes he made.

Reactions: CiG
I haven't read the book either. I don't recall all the details of the film, but I remember being satisfied afterward. I appreciated the narrative ambiguity, and I thought the mythology underpinning the story was cool.

I was similarly satisfied and wouldn't mind if it were never fully explained but I'm just so curious! Haha. As a sidenote Jeffrey Wright has got to be one of the most versatile actors working these days.

I've never gotten much into 'folk horror' but after Hereditary and Hold the Dark I wanna see a few more. I hear The VVitch is good.

Planning on watching Annihilation very soon, I'll keep all of that in mind. Did it make your top 10 for 2018?

I was similarly satisfied and wouldn't mind if it were never fully explained but I'm just so curious! Haha. As a sidenote Jeffrey Wright has got to be one of the most versatile actors working these days.

Agreed about Wright, he's great.

I've never gotten much into 'folk horror' but after Hereditary and Hold the Dark I wanna see a few more. I hear The VVitch is good.

Yeah, The Witch was pretty good. Eggers's next one looks to be good folk horror too, The Lighthouse.

I'd also recommend Aster's newest, Midsommar--then you can see whether you agree with me or Vegard about it. :D

Also on Netflix, you can find The Ritual and Apostle, both good folk horror flicks (I thought).

Planning on watching Annihilation very soon, I'll keep all of that in mind. Did it make your top 10 for 2018?

It did, although I only made a list of my top seven for that year, and I put Annihilation last... But I mean, it still beat out a lot of other stuff.

I actually put Apostle higher than Annihilation. Not sure if I'd still agree with that. But I've rewatched Annihilation a couple times, and haven't given Apostle a rewatch at all.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, The Witch was pretty good. Eggers's next one looks to be good folk horror too, The Lighthouse.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Hard to pass up some Defoe in a horror.

I'd also recommend Aster's newest, Midsommar--then you can see whether you agree with me or Vegard about it. :D

I saw the trailer for that, looks interesting and now that I'm familiar with the director I'm really curious about how he approaches the movie. I found it interesting to find out that he originally wrote Hereditary as a straight up family tragedy, but then decided to mutate the script into a horror in order to sell the project and seemingly that was his only reason for making it a horror, if Wiki is anything to go by, citing Carrie and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover as his main influences.

Knowing that he isn't a horror director in the traditional sense and instead is interested in human relationships, family dynamics, drama etc really gives it an extra dimension for me. Just waiting on Midsommar to feature on Netflix and I'll watch it.

Also on Netflix, you can find The Ritual and Apostle, both good folk horror flicks (I thought).

I saw those and saved them actually, so I'll be sure to give them a try too. Cheers.