The Official Movie Thread

A shame there wasn't more discussion about the film, not that I can really criticise since I'm only now seeing it like 3 years later, but the film is ripe for interrogation and interpretation. My head is still spinning honestly, and this might be one of the few "long" films that felt like it came at me fast. Just when you're absorbing some new illogical left turn it hits you with cinematography that shuts down the thought processes, then it hits you again, and by the end I'm sitting there trying to put the pieces together.

(only to the priest does the Japanese man reveal himself as Satan.)

Your observation here is strengthened by the fact that due to the deacon's basic understanding of Japanese he's also the only character in the film who can directly interact with the demon.

xxx.jpg

This is a really cool revenge film. Fun to try and understand the Gaelic without looking at the subtitles, but it's also reminding me how rusty I've gotten. Have to fix that at some point!

Also James Frecheville the lead has an awesome presence. He looks like fucking vengeance incarnate:

INT-Black47-1.jpg

gdsg.jpg

5712db758a979f676ac83cebdcac2411.jpg

Definitely would love to see him in more dark/violent/gritty stuff. I know he's in that series Requiem, might check it out.

I don't know if/when there will be an English version of this German movie, but people who did like "Amélie" (I know I'm not the only one here) might like it:

The comparison to "Amélie" was drawn in several German reviews I've read thus far, yet my decision to actually watch the movie was based on the trailer linked above. My memories of "Amélie" are too blurry to say whether I think "Cleo" was as good (maybe not), but I did like it, especially because of several somewhat surrealstic scenes, and I'm quite sure it will make my top 10 for 2019.

In case someone should intend to watch this movie, I'd like to mention that there's a little scene after the end of the credits (nothing overly spectacular though), thus you might not want to leave as soon as the credits set in.

Reactions: CiG
having myself a mini marvel marathon. Went back and watched the first Captain America, Thor, The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Bumped down CA: The First Avenger from a 7 to a 6 and Thor up from a 6 to an 8. Tonight ...

Reactions: CiG
Still the best MCU movie ever.
Yeah definitely one of the best i've seen so far. The fight scenes were pretty damn solid. I think everyone who digs action movies needs to check it out.

Was at the library a few weeks ago and saw this sitting in one of the free boxes and said fuck it since i dusted off my VCR recently...
tlr2fTQ.jpg

IdvMCBn.jpg

@RadicalThrasher @CiG you guys heard of this one?

Was at the library a few weeks ago and saw this sitting in one of the free boxes and said fuck it since i dusted off my VCR recently...
tlr2fTQ.jpg

IdvMCBn.jpg

@RadicalThrasher @CiG you guys heard of this one?

I have not . It's going to be bad, in a great and entertaining way or just bad. Michael Parks and Tom Skerritt, usually something entertaining to be found with those guys.

Watched Green Room and The Lobster over the past few days. Loved the former for obvious reasons. The Lobster seems like a film I need to see more than once. It’s a bizarre concept and isn’t handled in a way that’s easy to interpret. My kind of movie, anyway.

i actually like the old-school detective-novel trope where the surprise-twist-ending of the story is revealing that 2 of the characters were actually just 2 separate chroniclings of the actions of one person

surprisingly the most recent example of this that I've personally seen
was actually in a movie
the movie was Detective Picachu
this movie was clearly a "detective" movie and somehow actually managed to contain the detective-novel-trope i'm describing

the movie had Ryan Reynolds voicing Picachu the entire fucking movie and then the last second shows Ryan actually walking around as a human

the movie was not nearly as horrible as i thought a pokemon movie was going to be
and the content of the spoiler was actually amazingly really well-done