The Official Movie Thread

Maybe a bit too heavy with the whole male chastity belt/impregnate women plot

lmfao you're probably right, Tipper Gore would have had a meltdown.

is it based on the Frogtown neighborhood out in Los Angeles?

I wondered about that actually, because post-apocalyptic franchises usually like to base things in real places and then distort them until they're unrecognizable, but unfortunately Hell Comes to Frogtown is such a neglected cult classic that nobody ever gave a fuck enough to elaborate on pretty much anything.

i noticed it's actually in RYM's decade top ten (which, to be fair, is pretty strong in general), and a random from work was telling me today it's the best movie they've seen in ages. i don't remember the last time a film seemed to get such unanimous love.

All hail the Korean overlord.

Have to see a list for the decade but if it's getting that hype that's more because of a lame decade than anything else imo

Memories of Murder was amazing, Mother by contrast I thought was slightly above average. Snowpiercer and Okja are on Netflix iirc which is why I ask, might as well check them out while I have the chance, especially if he's the "Korean overlord" lmao.

Reactions: rms
Watching

Phantom+Raiders+German+DVD.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Memories of Murder was amazing, Mother by contrast I thought was slightly above average. Snowpiercer and Okja are on Netflix iirc which is why I ask, might as well check them out while I have the chance, especially if he's the "Korean overlord" lmao.

Just watched okja on Netflix so in with ya. Snowpiercer is just the typical Hollywood script done by a foreign director kind of thing. No need to rush it to the top of the queue to watch it

snowpiercer mostly rules, definitely watch that. okja kinda sucks but it’s also completely nuts, it’s like my neighbor totoro (or that the last guardian game) meets south park meets a moralising holocaust movie lol

Polanski's The Tenant is finally getting a local release, will definitely be picking up the blu. I searched everywhere while we were doing the '76 game to no avail.
th

I wonder if anyone in the marketing department at Paramount ever regretted that tagline? "No one does it to you like Roman Polanski."

Seriously though, it's amazing. It's still technically my favorite of his actually, though lately Bitter Moon has threatened to take that spot.

i’m halfway through typing up my 2015 list and don’t want to post in that thread off my phone incase what ive written vanishes, so i’m responding here:

basically i agree with challenge everything that imdb dates (as in the basic date on the page) are fine for retrospective polls and they’re what i’ve been using throughout. the only time i prefer deviating is on current year polls (i count 2018 as that even though we’re pretty late lol) because they’re usually done around the end of the year when half the major movies havent even aired here (and various other places) yet. i guess ideally we’d use public release dates for every poll but it’s just too hard and annoying to track it imo, and most people have seemed fine about using imdb dates so far.