The Official Movie Thread

Finally saw The Witch, would have definitely made the lower half of my top 10, if I'd seen it while we did the 2015 game. Ralph Ineson was really great in the role of the patriarch, I never really knew he could be such a physical presence either.

Now on to The Lighthouse, which I told myself I wouldn't watch until I saw this one. Also I saw this article about Eggers' next project called The Northman:
Sound the horns, light the pyres, and unfurl your furs, for it's been announced that Robert Eggers, the director behind the newly-crowned horror classic, THE WITCH, has potentially gathered a star-studded cast for his latest project, THE NORTHMAN. Hailing from New Regency, the upcoming project has Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgard, Anja Taylor-Joy, Bill Skarsgard, and Willem Dafoe in talks to join what's being described as a "Viking revenge saga."

According to reports, Eggers' viking tale of blood and blade will be set in Icelan at the turn of the 10th century. Eggers wrote the script himself alongside Icelandic poet and novelist, Sjón. Details related to THE NORTHMAN are scarce at this time, though we have learned that Lars Knudsen (HEREDITARY, MIDSOMMAR) will produce.

Finally saw The Witch, would have definitely made the lower half of my top 10, if I'd seen it while we did the 2015 game. Ralph Ineson was really great in the role of the patriarch, I never really knew he could be such a physical presence either.

Now on to The Lighthouse, which I told myself I wouldn't watch until I saw this one. Also I saw this article about Eggers' next project called The Northman:

The Witch is so fucking good.

I really want to see The Lighthouse, but since I live in the fucking boonies the nearest showings have all been 2+ hours away.

EXCLUSIVE: Christian Gudegast (Den of Thieves) and JP Davis have closed a deal to co-write Mafia X for Thunder Road Pictures and Pioneer Pictures. Gudegast will direct a film which is based on his original pitch.
Mafia X is a high concept action thriller inspired by the true stories of organized crime groups banding together to fight terrorism.

It fits in the wheel house of Thunder Road, whose recent films include the Sicario and John Wick franchises and The Town. Pioneer Pictures credits include The Rum Diary and Lucky Number Slevin.

Just finished rewatching Den of Thieves and then I saw this. :kickass:

i’m gonna watch john wick 3 tonight. you guys can’t even stop me so fuck you

giphy.gif

haha awesome, definitely adding that to my watchlist. :kickass:

Trailer was fucking awesome.

Don't want to oversell it, and it's been a while since I've seen it, but its pretty awesome. Kind of a slow burn, who done it- is it really happening - can't be real. With a 70's horror vibe and a shock twist ending. Goes every which way to the point your not sure what the hells going on ( and i mean that in a good way) then pulls together at the climax. I know its playing on amazon prime if you guys have that.

And yeah i guess the word sperm gets used by everyone alot! But its funniest when John Cassavetes says it :lol::err:

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Other%2BSide%2Bof%2Bthe%2BWind.jpg

This was a pretty fascinating artefact and shows how, even at the end of his career when New Hollywood directors had taken over the scene, Welles still stayed ahead of the curve (even if it doesn't quite approach the greatness of Welles' other mockumentary F for Fake).

It definitely helps to know a bit about Welles as this is basically a satire of his own life, his megalomania, his entourage and his well-known reputation for misogyny. John Huston is brilliant as the Welles surrogate character, seemingly still in character from his role in 'Chinatown'. Oja Kodar (Welles' real life girlfriend) spends most of the movie naked as the star of the film-within-the-film, 'The Other Side of the Wind', a vacuous attempt by an aging director to inhabit the arthouse territory of Antonioni or Wenders.

It doesn't feel like Welles pulls any punches in his self-critique. Even the well-known feud between Welles and critic Pauline Kael is woven into the story, in a way that's not unflattering to the Kael character. It's pretty ballsy film-making.