The Official Movie Thread

Spent about an hour and change on the Irishman and thought it was a rehashed scorcese flick with worse execution. does it get better?

If you're over an hour in and have that opinion, it probably won't change by the end. It's fairly consistent the whole way through with no real crazy moments or sharp changes in tone.

Anyways, I just finished rewatching The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Damn I love that movie, the awkward wooden acting set against that extremely tense and unnerving score just works so fucking well. I don't suppose you have any pubes I could have, by any chance? Oh, I forgot. You don't have any left. We don't have any of the things we need! :lol:

I wasn't a big fan of The Irishman either. The first hour is mostly pointless, self indulgent set up for the real story ie Jimmy Hoffa. Pacino is great, but De Niro's character feels like an aimless amalgam of his previous roles. The most interesting aspect is Frank's relationship with Peggy.

Watched earlier

47217_1_large.jpg

Just found out Danny Aiello died the other day so R.I.P. Funnily enough I mostly remember him from that Madonna video "Papa Don't Preach" lmao.

Today I watched Down by Law and Manhattan, pure coincidence they're both black and white. I noticed you gave the latter a 2/5 Wainds, so brutal lmao. I love that film, for me Woody might just be the master of cinema banter (sorry Tarantino). In retrospect his relationship with Tracy is creepy though.

Down by Law is crazy good, the score especially. I really need to see more of Jarmusch's earlier work, this was better than Dead Man or Ghost Dog, and a lot better than Paterson. I love how at the start Waits is just sitting there as his girlfriend trashes all his stuff, his records, his player, but only reacts when she goes to throw his Lloyd Johnson boots out the door. Priorities!

Border and Joan of Arc look kind of interesting to me.

I'm not a huge fan of Ebert, but it's pretty interesting to see Marriage Story at the top of his list. The trailer on Netflix looked kind bleh to me, like a forgettable romantic drama. Might check it out now based on what he wrote, though Adam Driver's involvement makes me hesitant still. He doesn't do much for me. (NEED TO SEE PARASITE.)

I wasn't a big fan of The Irishman either. The first hour is mostly pointless, self indulgent set up for the real story ie Jimmy Hoffa. Pacino is great, but De Niro's character feels like an aimless amalgam of his previous roles. The most interesting aspect is Frank's relationship with Peggy.

I agre with all the points here. Finished it out of boredom, but feels like the Peggy angle was the direction Scorsese wanted to take but couldn't make a movie out of it ? The lack of depth there, the entire movie, was weird.

Marriage Story wasn't bad, actually. It didn't blow me away, but I was impressed by the quality of acting. There was one argument scene in particular that I actually found myself getting caught up in.

But it's not going on my best-of list.

Today I watched Down by Law and Manhattan, pure coincidence they're both black and white. I noticed you gave the latter a 2/5 Wainds, so brutal lmao. I love that film, for me Woody might just be the master of cinema banter (sorry Tarantino). In retrospect his relationship with Tracy is creepy though.

Down by Law is crazy good, the score especially. I really need to see more of Jarmusch's earlier work, this was better than Dead Man or Ghost Dog, and a lot better than Paterson. I love how at the start Waits is just sitting there as his girlfriend trashes all his stuff, his records, his player, but only reacts when she goes to throw his Lloyd Johnson boots out the door. Priorities!

ah, i wouldn’t stand by that manhattan rating anymore, woody allen is due for a reassessment from me in general. i remember basically nothing about that movie except woody gets with an underage girl in it or w/e lol

so glad you liked down by law, i really love that one. stranger than paradise is just as good, and i’d also recommend candy mountain which isn’t by jarmusch but is in that same style and also has tom waits in it. what i would catogorically not recommend is jarmusch’s new one, which is no exaggeration the shittest new movie i’ve seen in the last 3 years or so i think.

as for marriage story, it’s baumbach so expect it to be very writerly and hipster but also pretty witty and savage (and depressing if it’s as much of a bergman tribute as it looks like). i always have mixed feelings about his stuff and i assume this’ll be no different.

and yeah ebert died a while ago after vincent gallo put a hex on his prostate

Reactions: CiG
Pretty crazy what the guy could do with nothing. Been forever since I've seen Galaxy Invader and never seen Fiend (any good?) but The Alien Factor is pretty cool.
Fiend is great. A bit different from Alien Factor and Nightbeast but the Dohler charm is all over it. It got a nice release at the beginning of the year from Massacre Video.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher