The Official Movie Thread

Watched this last night

poster_p05_killing_kind_blu-ray.jpg

Pretty crazy movie about a guy coming unhinged and basically becoming a serial killer. Kind of similar to movies like Manhunter etc. In the sense it shows how a psychopaths mind works, except its from '73 so a little ahead of the 80's serial killer craze. Maybe closer to something like Henry: portrait of a serial killer. There's no cop angle, this is pretty much all about watching this guy slip until the point of no return. @CiG , it was pretty fucking good.

Copy and paste synopsis:
After being released from prison for a brutal assault in which he too was a victim, Terry returns home to his mother's (Ann Sothern) boarding house. Unable to cope with his freedom and uncertain about how to appease his ever growing desire to harm those around him, Terry finds solace in playing violent practical jokes. But when an attractive young woman (Cindy Williams) moves into the boarding house, Terry finds himself overpowered by violent impulses and, in a fit of rage, accidentally murders the woman. Now engulfed by bloodlust, it's not long before he begins seeking out more victims...

A brooding study on the nurturing of a serial killer, acclaimed filmmaker Curtis Harrington's (NIGHT TIDE, RUBY) THE KILLING KIND remains an unsettling depiction of violent mental illness. Featuring John Savage (THE DEER HUNTER), as Terry, in his first starring role, and lushly photographed by Mario Tosi (CARRIE)

Reactions: CiG
I don't remember the last I posted here but some recent movies I've watched which were amazing:

Pain and Glory: I figured out one of my favorite directors is Pedro Alomodovar. It's about a film director who is on his decline. There's a lot of flashbacks that add bits and pieces to his story. Really brilliant and subtle film. Definitely at the top of the best 2019 films.

All about my Mother: Another Pedro Almodovar movie. I think it really captures moms in a great light and the idea of being a mom not just to your own kid but to literally everyone who needs it. Beautiful movie. I think it stung a lot with me too since my mom was a single mother too.

The Skin I Live In : The last Pedro Alomodovar movie I watched. Brilliant. About a doctor who's wife skin was horribly burned in a car accident, he makes this skin that guards the body but is sensitive to touch. I don't want to give too much away as it does get really sci-fi and thriller-esque and has a really interesting twist.

Marriage Story: I just watched this today and now I must watch Scenes from a Marriage as this paid homage to it. This was surprisingly really good. I was doubting it and thought it was super hipster at first (which it really is) because these characters don't really live lives I'm familiar with. Before I dismissed it as "white people high brow shit" the arguments got intense, the acting got real, and then I realized my distaste for the characters was done purposefully on the director or writer's end because I suppose they wanted you to see some of the absurdity of the divorce process. It's not my favorite movie, but I thought it was well done and my eyes definitely got watery in the end when he's reading to his child what his wife said about him. It's on Netflix, so if you have it it's worth a watch and it's something that grows on you.

Over the course of last night to now, I watched these:

Biutiful, I really just enjoy Iñárritu so thoroughly. Even the films that seem to get lukewarm receptions are a delight. I think he has the best class consciousness of any modern director that I'm aware of.

Antichrist, LvT is a fucking maniac. The revelation about the kid's shoes is just such a twisted touch, it gets under my skin. Planning to rewatch The House that Jack Built soon and then move on to Nymphomaniac which I've never actually seen.

Hyena, not as good as Tony but still a nice debauched crime film complete with a lot of coke-snorting. Looking forward to seeing Gerard Johnson's new psychological thriller Muscle:

I also rewatched Kitano's Kids Return just to make sure I like where it sits in my 1996 list. Secure at 3rd and to remain as such, still a lovely film. Now I'm about to watch Black Swan:

41yxbtT0iUL.jpg

Been putting it off forever for some reason.

Pain and Glory: I figured out one of my favorite directors is Pedro Alomodovar. It's about a film director who is on his decline. There's a lot of flashbacks that add bits and pieces to his story. Really brilliant and subtle film. Definitely at the top of the best 2019 films.

All about my Mother: Another Pedro Almodovar movie. I think it really captures moms in a great light and the idea of being a mom not just to your own kid but to literally everyone who needs it. Beautiful movie. I think it stung a lot with me too since my mom was a single mother too.

The Skin I Live In : The last Pedro Alomodovar movie I watched. Brilliant. About a doctor who's wife skin was horribly burned in a car accident, he makes this skin that guards the body but is sensitive to touch. I don't want to give too much away as it does get really sci-fi and thriller-esque and has a really interesting twist.
I posted on FB not too long ago Almodovar had his own take on superhero movies that we should all treasure the fact that he's still working. Mother and Skin are incredible picks, the later is one of the best films of the decade. When all is finally revealed about Vera, wow. Just fucking wow. You know, the more I think about it, Antonio Banderas might be my favorite actor just based on his work with Almodovar alone.

love almodovar. looking forward to the new one, seems to be his most well received movie since, idk, talk to her?
Volver, I'd say, but Julieta was fairly well-received. I have no idea why Broken Embraces is so underrated, it's melodrama at its finest.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
love the skin i live in, antichrist and enter the void.

in terms of imdb and rym ratings i was right that it’s his highest rated since talk to her btw, although imdb at least has a notorious new movie bias so idk if that means anything. the reception at cannes was astronomical though, i didn’t expect it as he hasn’t seemed fashionable in a while. intrigued to see if that popularity is an indicator of quality or just relative normality.

NW:

sdg.jpg

AKA What Have I Done to Deserve This?

Edit: My first Alomodovar and I loved it. Very funny and very black, his depiction of a dysfunctional working class family where multiple layers of deceit co-exist within extremely cramped spaces is so well done. Very relatable, and he even throws some low fantasy in there. Besides all that I can already see that Alomodovar is quite sympathetic to the female perspective which makes a lot of sense after reading Fune's post about some of his films. This one especially touched on female sexual dissatisfaction.

whathaveidonetodeservethis.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
Would you believe that What Have I Done... was his take on "Neorealism"? It's a good example of how great a writer he is. Some of the scenarios are utterly absurd but his characters are so well written that you're hooked right in.

"I may not have the legs of a sportsman..."

Reactions: CiG
Some decent movies I've watched lately:

Demon Seed - surprised I haven't heard more about this one, 70s AI supercomputer turns hostile, pretty classic

Welcome to the Dollhouse - coming of age sorta movie where even the girl's family are bullies to her as she doesn't fit in. Funny and sad, so enjoyably awkward.

Night of Dark Shadows - haven't seen any of the other Dan Curtis material but this can be watched on its own. Kinda charming I guess, similar themes to Rebecca and even has a line joking about Mrs Danvers.

Chopping Mall - mall security robots turn deadly, good cheesy fun

Reactions: RadicalThrasher