The Official Movie Thread

I nearly missed this one, but got to see it at the cinema last weekend:

It's very likely I'll include it my top 10 for 2019. I think this was the first movie I've seen without any proper spoken language, thus it didn't require any dubbing or subtitles. (I think only some newspaper headlines were shown in German.)

Reactions: CiG
Tonight

67602_1_large.jpg

Focus Features Teaming With Paul Thomas Anderson Again For His 1970s High School Pic.
After working with Paul Thomas Anderson on his six Oscar nominated feature Phantom Thread, Focus Features is set to partner with the eight-time Oscar nominated filmmaker on his untitled 1970s High School Pic set in his San Fernando Valley stomping ground. Focus Features will distribute domestically, and Universal Pictures International will handle foreign distribution.

Reportedly Anderson’s new film will center around a high school student who is also a successful child actor. The pic is described as having intersecting storylines. It will rep the fourth time that Anderson has set a film in the San Fernando Valley, the last being Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love. The filmmaker’s Ghoulardi Film Company has already received a $2.5M California film tax credit.

I finally saw Phantom Thread, amazing amazing amazing.

New Star Wars is getting terrible reviews, which isn't surprising as The Last Jedi was offensively bad and The Force Awakens was barely passable. Disney completely ruined it.

Back from Parasite. Totally overwhelmed. I would say it's one of the best movies of the year, but it's more like three of the best movies of the year. So much going on.

I'm not sure that it beats Glass/Dragged Across Concrete for my MOTY pick, or MoM for my best Bong pick, but it might do either/both? I need to see it again tbh.

I watched Cold Pursuit here at home and it is one of the most preposterously stupid things ever called a movie.

I saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this afternoon. After the disturbingly epic fail that was The Last Jedi, this was a much better movie and ended this current trilogy in a decent way. There was still some stuff that made me want to retch but overall, they made a Star Wars movie this time as opposed to some space movie with the Star Wars banner slapped over the posters like the last one.