The Official Movie Thread

source.gif
shouldn't your racebaiting ass be somewhere crying about how Us didn't win any Oscars because of whites/blacks/etc??
TamU6h3.png

Last edited:
And my original post was in response to you thinking BJH is so egomaniacal as to be unable to admit the successes of another film, even an imperfect one.
The question was not wondering why he cannot "admit success" but rather think it's a top10 film if not higher. that's what the link had. very fascinating to see Zodiac on the same level as Fargo and some other gems, which I already forgot

i think he's been doing theatre stuff according to wikipedia.
it doesn't matter given we have jesse eisenberg to fill basically the exact same niche
Listened to his podcast with Conan O'Brien and I think I hate Jesse more
Gotta see I Know The Devil again, but Burning that high is a bummer, what a let down. Poetry/Parasite 1-2 is going to be the common opinion though. Yellow Sea was fantatsic, definitely recommend seeing that one.

Just finished Pain and Glory, and I guess I don't understand why the film didn't end around it's more satisfying climax around 70 minutes in rather than 110, but came off as Banderas doing the Oscar bait thing.

Saw 1917 as well, glad it didn't win more oscars but also the director couldn't help demonstrating the same old tired trope of good guy westerners and bad guys not as west-westerners. Pretty lame film, and probably demonstrates why WWI lacks a prominent footprint in film

Re-watched Parasite after it's victory and I still think the Dad slowly transforms into a more widespread figure rather than his character throughout. Makes me happy I still enjoyed it the 2nd time around and through first viewing, I remember thinking the family was more like a parasite, when in reality -- they are not. Great stuff

The question was not wondering why he cannot "admit success" but rather think it's a top10 film if not higher. that's what the link had. very fascinating to see Zodiac on the same level as Fargo and some other gems, which I already forgot

Zodiac is no Memories of Murder, but it's an excellent film and Fincher's finest work. It blends the darkness of the subject matter with an offbeat humor that's difficult to express, its procedural elements are enticing, and the killings/attempted killings are depicted in an unrelenting light (I still cringe during the stabbing scene at the lake). On top of that, it features well-developed characters portrayed by fantastic actors. There aren't many flaws in it, from a formal standpoint. I think it occasionally drags, but then it recovers by drawing viewers back in with another turn of the screw.

I also think Zodiac occupies a unique place in Fincher's development as a director. From Alien 3 until Fight Club, his films had a grainy, grimy feel--an appropriate look, but it could be argued stylistically overbearing. By the time he hit The Social Network, his films exhibited a sleekness that was almost too clean--again, appropriate but possibly overbearing. Zodiac occupies a fascinating middle ground between a flawed but compelling entry (Panic Room) and a mediocre entry (Benjamin Button). It's where he started to develop his sleeker style but before he turned to more pop-culture subject matter.

At any rate, I wouldn't fret about a top-notch director including it in their top ten list.

8rp3.gif

Saw the new Jumanji yesterday.
It was okay with a few laughs thrown in but there wasn't really anything new or exciting in it.

Oddball casting too, will surely piss some people off: Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman, Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon, John Turturro as Carmine Falcone, Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, Colin Farrell as Penguin. Some young dude as Riddler I've never heard of.

Affleck's originally planned version of the film was supposed to be set in Arkham Asylum and the plot dealt heavily with insanity and apparently the death of Robin or something like that. But the script was rewritten by the new director Reeves, who stated in an interview that the film would feature an almost-noir driven, detective version of Batman emphasizing the heart and mind of the character and taking inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock. But explicitly not an origin movie.

Oddball casting too, will surely piss some people off: Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman, Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon, John Turturro as Carmine Falcone, Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, Colin Farrell as Penguin. Some young dude as Riddler I've never heard of.

Affleck's originally planned version of the film was supposed to be set in Arkham Asylum and the plot dealt heavily with insanity and apparently the death of Robin or something like that. But the script was rewritten by the new director Reeves, who stated in an interview that the film would feature an almost-noir driven, detective version of Batman emphasizing the heart and mind of the character and taking inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock. But explicitly not an origin movie.
Arkham Asylum comic is perfect for a standalone movie.